• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Christopher Poole Sells 4chan to 2channel Founder Hiroyuki Nishimura

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isinfier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
At least they didn't sell to Tumblr.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
TsukasaHiiragi wrote:
One of the worst websites online, they don't do anything positive for the anime communities. Full of haters, trolls and angry 13 year olds - I wonder if the new owner can bring some order to that pit of chaos and hate.

/m/'s actually one of the better mecha related boards I've been on. Of course, that requires actually using the filters to block that blatant trolls and constant crap like the "What went wrong?" threads.

Of course, people automatically assume all of 4 is /b/, /v/ or /pol/.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote
How do you those image boards where you change the text on it? That is, I am talking about the Star Wars one.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:28 am Reply with quote
TsukasaHiiragi wrote:
One of the worst websites online, they don't do anything positive for the anime communities. Full of haters, trolls and angry 13 year olds - I wonder if the new owner can bring some order to that pit of chaos and hate.

Strict rules would utterly destroy the meaning of *chan sites.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:31 am Reply with quote
Maybe /m/ will finally have moderators that do their job!
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
As someone who's been regular to 4chan for years and years, the site's reputation amongst those who have never been there always amuses me (even if I've never as much as looked at boards like /b/ and /pol/). It is one of my favourite places to discuss anime, video games and traditional (tabletop) games... and of course, quests (who /maq/ here?)
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
Artesox wrote:
Evangelion discussions too work better there since the fanbase is a bit over its head when it comes to getting recognized.

Those nonstop 3.33 generals for 4 months after release.

Even if a lot of content in /a/ is shitposts and trolls, there's a plethora of info/fanart available and quite good discussions if you have a strong stomach and it's not summer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
TsukasaHiiragi wrote:

Well it is full of haters and trolls but they contribute more for "the anime communities" then this dump. At least they get stuff translated does ANN even do anything besides repost things?

No need for such language. --willag
sepherest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
As someone who's been regular to 4chan for years and years, the site's reputation amongst those who have never been there always amuses me

That ignorance helps preserve the quality of content on the rest of the site.

My biggest concern is the amount of Japanese media that's uploaded/shared and if it's going to change now that the site has a Japanese owner. I've heard he doesn't care for anime fans or otaku types so I hope this is a blessing in disguise, since so much stuff gets translated by people on the Japan-related boards.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping that under new management 4chan will be a safer place.
I've been curious about entering, but its notorious reputation for being a haven for cyber-bullies prevent myself from ever going there.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
I found this to be pretty interesting news as I've been following much of the buzz connected with it (which is not to be spoke of here). But this is an interesting announcement who is NOT a 4chan-ite and is not really familiar with the madness that goes on there. However I did was surprised of it being like the Western offspring of 2chan. Razz
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Here's hoping that under new management 4chan will be a safer place.
I've been curious about entering, but its notorious reputation for being a haven for cyber-bullies prevent myself from ever going there.

That just means its not your kind of place.
Stricter rules do not fit with the *chans.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
I always laugh when people/sites/blogs say 4chan is the worst place on the net. They don't realize that 4chan is more than just /b/.
Seriously there's stuff like DIY, sports, cooking, animals, travel, toys/figures, different Japanese animation boards ranging from anime/manga to hentai to yuri/yaoi, LGBT, literature, fashion, music, tech, fashion, etc.... Boards for anyone with different interests to gather. If you can't see that, then keep your mouth shut when it comes to discussion about 4chan.

Now of course there's the trolls. But for me it depends on what the trolls are doing in context to a discussion.

But what I love about 4chan is not just the Anonymity. It's the ability to have the potential to discuss things in a raw fashion compared to other sites like Tumblr/Reddit/Twitter/Facebook/etc...

On 4chan you'll get banned more often for being stupid by breaking the rules than being banned for having the wrong opinion like on other social sites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
That man is in bed with data brokers, some of the worst corporate tyrants on Earth and some of their methods and actions violate privacy laws worldwide. Be on your guard folks.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
That man is in bed with data brokers, some of the worst corporate tyrants on Earth and some of their methods and actions violate privacy laws worldwide. Be on your guard folks.

This. Money became involved. 4chan is a business now rather than a true fansite. Already jumped ship.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4