• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Offer Broadcast Dubs for Gangsta., Prison School, Sky Wizards Academy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
The fact that Dragonball Super is not available ANYWHERE outside of Japan, via ANY streaming company, points to Toei being stingy in this case. I'm betting Funi will leap on that one as soon as Toei lets them.

Toei is probably shooting themselves in the foot, there.....if we can't watch it legally, then what other option do we have besides piracy?
If that's the case why would toei do something so stupid if you're supposed to say support the industry but yet can't let us see it legally and we have to go by different means that's being two-faced about it and that bothers me that you're losing potential butt loads of cash because you don't want anyone else but Japan to see it and that's not right in my book.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm 100% they're gonna cast Monica Rial as Hana from Prison School. I'm 100% sure.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Funimation! Gangsta. was the one anime I was looking forward to this season! Very Happy So excited for this and the rest of the broadcast dub line up!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Gangsta and Prison School, nice!

Yeah, was really hoping Gangsta would get one.
K-Anime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. Already watching all 3 animes.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
I just noticed Funi didn't get Dragonball Super *facepalms*. I'm amazed at their skills of missing that hype train...it would've been a hit as a broadcast dub.

Obviously the trouble is not on their end, but on toei.

Of course they would want to get rights on their best seller.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
The fact that Dragonball Super is not available ANYWHERE outside of Japan, via ANY streaming company, points to Toei being stingy in this case. I'm betting Funi will leap on that one as soon as Toei lets them.

Toei is probably shooting themselves in the foot, there.....if we can't watch it legally, then what other option do we have besides piracy?

It's amazing to me that a company has one of the most valuable anime properties outside of Japan and they simply squander it like this. There was a thread on Reddit a few days ago (and not in the anime part) with thousands of comments from excited DBZ fans and they have nowhere official to watch it. Does Toei hate money?

https://www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/3c6vwl/dragon_ball_super_premiered_today/
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
A technical thing to remember here is that these are their planned broadcast dubs at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if they did more.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Judging by what I've heard about Sky Wizards Academy, it would be a serious waste if they put that crap on DubbleTalk.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
KevinAmbrose wrote:
My guess is these are the 3 "primetime" shows. You know like the ones that they will be talking about and reviewing on Dubbletalk while they till have other Broadcast dubs to announce

I am aware that these are the prime time titles (I pointed this in my initial post). I expect Snow White and at least 3 more titles to have broadcast dubs down the road.
GolfDude

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Ass Class has 2 episodes left to dub, and vampire rain has 3
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
Judging by what I've heard about Sky Wizards Academy, it would be a serious waste if they put that crap on DubbleTalk.

When I first read the header, I asked myself "Why Sky Wizards?" Never looked at its details before now so what is it about? Kanata Age, Master Swordsman is...

Stop, enough.

Katana? That's, uh, quite the anagram they got there. And it's a light novel adaptation with key image being one guy and a bunch of girls in the same over designed school uniform, each with a different weapon. Where haven't I seen this before?

Never mind the dub, why license it?
shuusei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they didn't go for Overlord on their primetime block. RPG-esque anime seem to always be a hit whether they're good or not.
MJM5219

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
I'm 100% they're gonna cast Monica Rial as Hana from Prison School. I'm 100% sure.

I am going to have to agree with you on that since they would probably cast veterans for it.

Also, I believe that Jamie Marchi will be Mari, Colleen Clinkenbeard will be Meiko, maybe Alexis Tipton as Chiyo, and either Kent Williams or Bill Jenkins as the Chairman (Mari and Chiyo's father).

Not sure who would voice the boys, but I bet if he hadn't retired, Scott Freeman would be perfect for, I think, Kiyoshi.

Just my honest opinions here.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Gangsta and Prison School, nice!

Yeah, was really hoping Gangsta would get one.

Yeah, baby! We got a good ass lineup here
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3