• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Alien HQ

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaRoss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
Haikyuu is an awesome series that was my absolute favourite to come out last year. Everything about it just clicked for me, even above other gems like Witch Craft Works and Nozaki-kun, and it was paced so perfectly.

I'm a fan of sports anime/manga though, so that may have been part of what influenced my opinion, but I do believe that the series is worth checking out for anyone looking for an uplifting and well paced story.

As to the others, I quite enjoyed Captain Earth to start, but it slowly fell apart after the first episode and I still have yet to make it past episode 4. Which is too bad as Star Driver was awesome and I was so hoping for another series kind of like it.

As to the releases this week: Nagi no Asukara is still high on my to-watch list, but I've yet to actually settle in on it, and Irregular is on its way to my possession soon. I personally enjoyed the universe and many of the side characters. However, as I stated in a review for the first half on my personal blog, they failed at properly adapting the main character. Introspective characters don't work very well in adaptations: not unless you can make them as deliriously charming as the Doctor.

And then there's Turn A Gundam. Oh man that series is so good. I'm so hyped that it's releasing here officially. It's one of my all time favourite series and one of the best mecha series I've ever seen (only eclipsed by Macross Frontier).
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:52 am Reply with quote
Turn A Gundam out, finally. Can add to my July order. Looking forward to rewatching it.

My copies of Irregular at Magic High School and SAO II should be arriving in the next few days. Been a long and painful wait for both since they were my number 1 and 2 anime of last year. Glad they split the former into arcs, sure the introduction arc was perhaps a tad slow (to me it was fine) but it was still a fantastic introduction to the fascinating world and characters.

Also their uniforms are the best I've seen in an anime, look gorgeous.
lunaswav3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote
Thanks for posting the pics of my meager collection. Here's an update... sorry, forgot to neatly arrange them on a shlef, lol:

Also, thumbs up on the future Turn A review; looking forward to reading it.

- lunaswav3 / Roger
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
The sex part of Captain Earth's not too far off from real life; chracter designer Fumi Minato is a full-time hentai manga artist.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
Haikyu is great. I'm glad that it wound up getting released here and I hope it does well.

Blah, Captain Earth. First episode was interesting, albeit purposefully vague. Then it hit mediocrity and couldn't resist pulling some tired anime tropes. It knew what it wanted to be but wasn't able to engage.

I quit rather early. I think it was around the time Daichi's spoiler[uncle-guardian showed up to bring him home...and by the end of the episode left him there, despite the obvious signs of danger].
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
When will the anime industry get it through its head that all the futuristic technology in the world, all the fancy jargon, and all the sophisticated animation is useless unless the story has interesting characters that the viewer can care about? And that the same basic premise--ordinary boy discovers that he has hidden powers and everyone is relying on him--can only be regurgitated so many times before the audience tires of it and wants something new? I was underwhelmed by the host of mysterious terminology in episode one of Captain Earth (like 'Orgone energy'), transforming mecha, and the basically unsurprising and predictable story that was being told here. This seemed more like a children's anime than one for adults--the notion that sex had something to do with it never occurred to me during this opening episode. I found myself apathetic about all the gizmos that were activating as the episode neared it's climax; maybe what annoyed me was that there really wasn't any climax, that will have to wait for episode two. The message I got is same old same old, and whatever twists the plot had, I didn't know or care much of anything about the main protagonist at the end and therefore couldn't really be concerned about what would become of him. If so much time is going to be spent trying to wow me with a sort of magical mecha technology, but little effort is made to set up a likeable main character or provide a basic explanation of what's going on, then I might as well dispense with this show and move on to something better. No doubt there will be plenty of wild combat in Captain Earth, but without an interesting protagonist I can't feel that I have any stake in it--Earth might as well lose and be destroyed.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Stretch2424 wrote:
This seemed more like a children's anime than one for adults.

It's a kid show. It's a story that follows an established formula like so many other shows. It's a show about a boy and his giant robot, kinda like another show by Bones.

Quote:
The notion that sex had something to do with it never occurred to me during this opening episode.

Because it doesn't. You're thinking of the Freudian definition. It's the Jung definition that CE uses. While Freud proposed Id, Jung proposed that libido was psychic energy.

It's pretty obvious as the show goes on, especially in the second half spoiler[ when Setsuna shows up more frequently. ] I'd also argue Orgone Energy isn't really a 'mysterious' term. It's an actual pseudo-science theory.

A lot of things people complain about not understanding in Captain Earth because the show doesn't explain them are references to actual philosophy theories, pseudo-sciences and Shakespearean plays. They're also very easy to figure out if you have any prior knowledge of the respective areas and can connect the dots. The show doesn't try and explain them and I have to give it credit for that. It expects you to have a base knowledge at the very least.
maoyen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
So Captain Earth turned out lousy? Damn, that was on my backlog of shows to finish.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
"Shows about all-male or all-female teams can never quite figure out what to do with the opposite sex, and that's certainly the case here. The team manager is the only girl with any significant speaking role, and she doesn't do much of anything in these thirteen episodes."

To be fair, that's how it is in real-life all-boys clubs in Japan. They usually have a girl as their team manager, so they know EXACTLY what to do with the girl of the series. She's there in a role that is exactly what she would be in IRL. It's not that they had a girl and decided to shoehorn her into a random role; it's that the author created this character specifically to fill that role, because it was a role for a girl.

You're also forgetting the girls' volleyball team that gets quite a bit of screentime for being a background team?? (unless that wasn't included in the DVD reviewed here or something...)

HQ does a pretty good job with its female characters I think. Michimiya is a lovely foil for Daichi in her role as Captain of the girls' volleyball team.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2