• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Literary Secrets of Psycho-Pass

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to rewatch PP season 1 since I've studied a bit of political philosophy since I last saw it when it aired. Quite interesting stuff, especially if you look at the show through Hobbesian/Lockean lens (maybe some of Hegel's Philosophy of Right can be thrown in too). The show also inspired me to read some of Gibson's stuff, specifically Neuormancer but I couldn't make it through.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
I love info dump though. Nothing makes me happier than watching a 10 minute long lecture about something I find interesting. I guess that's one of the reasons why I love his work. Very Happy

Oh, I love listening to great dialogue about things I find interesting. The banquet of kings in Fate/Zero, for example. You don't even need to move the camera for me in scenes like that. Just keep them talking, I'm good. Cool

I think that scene was the high point of Fate Zero as well. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Misses any reference to the first Cyberpunk novel, The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner, author of The Sheep Look Up, and Stand On Zanzibar.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

You know, the "futuristic floppy disk" actually seems like it would be the next generation of physical media. It would be so much easier to just have a BD or DVD (or whatever medium comes next) housed in something like that, that you just plug into your player, without having to fight with getting it out of the holder without cracking it. It'd be more protected from scratches and other handling, and take up less shelf space.

That's actually how some PC game CDs started out. We recall the clear housing and the PC slot (instead of a disc tray). Laughing

dtm42 wrote:

It does bad things to maintain order but even Akane admits that a stable society under Sybil is better than anarchy. This is a very fresh idea in science fiction: that there is no point overthrowing a system if you don't replace it with something better.

Not a fresh idea though in the real world, particularly now with the Arab Uprisings that overthrew oppressive stable dictatorships and leading to the rise of authority groups like Muslim Brotherhood or ISIS.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
That's actually how some PC game CDs started out. We recall the clear housing and the PC slot (instead of a disc tray). Laughing

But you had to take the CD out of the jewel case to put it in the PC slot, didn't you? I was thinking more like how game cartridges or 8 track tapes...or floppy disks used to work, except with DVD or BD in the cart. Plug and play. Much easier than having to handle the disk and open the tray. Smile
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

But you had to take the CD out of the jewel case to put it in the PC slot, didn't you?

CD-ROMs used to come in caddies, making them look like larger versions of a 3.5" floppy diskette. See the first Patlabor movie for an anime example.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:50 am Reply with quote
So you didn't have to take the CD out of the caddy and insert it into the slot? oO
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So you didn't have to take the CD out of the caddy and insert it into the slot? oO

Yup. Like a diskette there was a shutter that protected the CD inside the caddy. Inserting the caddy into the slot automatically opened the shutter.

The annoying thing was when you had a bare CD and had to use it with a caddy-loading drive. IIRC David Pogue's 1994 Macworld holiday gift guide included empty CD caddies.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:33 am Reply with quote
Cool. I never saw one of those. They should have kept with that. Smile I'm tired of fighting for possession with disk hubs.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:50 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Cool. I never saw one of those. They should have kept with that. Smile I'm tired of fighting for possession with disk hubs.

It's more expensive to make those than just the CD.
But I think back then, people new to CDs were afraid about scratching or breaking them so fragile, so the housing was to alleviate people's fears to adopting the CD format.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
Very interesting read. Makes me wanna go and read all of these great works of literature. Smile

Psycho Pass you never cease to amaze me. Smile
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Great article. In fact, I'm surprised I didn't an article about this earlier, since a lot of people "complain" about not getting all the literary references and quotes in this show. The Makishima and Nietzsche connection is right on, although I'm surprised the article didn't mention anything about the connection between the Sybil system and Utilitarianism or something about Bentham or Mill.

MajorZero wrote:
Good article, but, since Urobutcher has no idea about what subtlety is, most of these "secrets" (especially dystopian and cyberpunk novels) were recognizable right from the start

I don't think Urobuchi was trying to be subtle at all. Urobuchi and the rest of the PP staff have mentioned their influences and inspirations for PP in plenty of interviews. I see it as paying homage to all those great works if nothing else.

@Wondername and EmbraceMe, as far as political philosophy goes, I remember Professor Saiga referencing Weber and Bentham specifically. Which really fits with the concept of Sybil being the ultimate, rational bureaucrat. While I'm not familiar with Locke, I also see the Hobbesian angle as well, especially with what happens once Makishima starts distributing the helmets.

Personally, while you can get a little more out of PP thematically if you know all the references, I know plenty of people who don't that still enjoy the show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Back on topic, while the Sibyl/Sybil system definitely references the Greek oracles, I always thought the name of the system was also a nod to the book Sybil, given the multiple-personality make-up of the physical system, and the series' emphasis on psychology. I guess it depends on how you choose to spell it. Smile
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Back on topic, while the Sibyl/Sybil system definitely references the Greek oracles, I always thought the name of the system was also a nod to the book Sybil, given the multiple-personality make-up of the physical system, and the series' emphasis on psychology. I guess it depends on how you choose to spell it. Smile

I thought that too, and then season 2 happened and it was made outlandishly explicit. :'D
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Was it explicit in PP2? I think I've mostly wiped it from my memory, in a clear case of traumatic suppression. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4