• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Pieces of Anime Technology We Wish We Had Right Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quatro Vagina (Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta) 4.5%

Seriously... you wrote up the article and it never seemed strange that a character's actual last name was vagina? I actually checked the encyclopedia page to see if that was wrong as that would explain missing it. However, the encyclopedia page actually has his name properly listed. I don't really expect some one to keep checking all the options while the poll is live since people can just keep adding them, but come on, he came in 6th.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Quote:
Quatro Vagina (Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta) 4.5%

Seriously... you wrote up the article and it never seemed strange that a character's actual last name was vagina? I actually checked the encyclopedia page to see if that was wrong as that would explain missing it. However, the encyclopedia page actually has his name properly listed. I don't really expect some one to keep checking all the options while the poll is live since people can just keep adding them, but come on, he came in 6th.

It was the actual spelling used on one of the Gundam video games (I think the clip is still on YouTube). Naturally they "fixed" it for the official English releases.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
Putting it in the right thread this time.

Oh, wow, I can't believe one of my poll additions (for this poll, my only one), Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV from Cowboy Bebop, cracked the top 10 (albeit with barely 1/10th the number of votes as Jugem Jugem).

I think that's the first time anything I've added to a poll on this site has ever gotten more than a handful of votes, let alone made it to the top 10, and I've been here a long time.

This week, I didn't need to add anything. I was going to vote for Section Chief Gotoh from Patlabor, and he's on the poll. Gotoh is the true protagonist of Patlabor, even if Izumi is the face of the series. There's absolutely no other middle-aged anime character I'd even consider voting for, to be honest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:03 am Reply with quote
I want a phone microwave so that I can send out D-mails. Cool
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
I can't believe the door and capsules aren't #1 & 2. I'd trade human shaped pokemon for the ability to go from one end of the earth to the other in a single step in a heartbeat. And the ability to haul around even a HOUSE with you in your pocket is just too amazing/useful. I'd grant that the potential for practically unlimited energy is pretty impressive, but Angels as #2? REALLY?
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
It looks like Kotetsu's in the poll twice, FYI. I voted for Shanks, but I suspect Jet would've won if I'd seen more Cowboy Bebop, or just more of the competitors in general. A ton of good characters there, and I was tempted to vote for Askeladd even though there's no Vinland Saga anime (yet).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
..... for the ability to go from one end of the earth to the other in a single step in a heartbeat....

Or have one end open up to the event horizon of a black hole. Makes for a neat WMD. Or maybe the molten core of the Earth.
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of thinking of the cyborg bodies from GITS. That could help a lot of people with missing limbs, paralysis, and neurological diseases.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Gee thanks for mentioning Dennou Coil but then not putting it on the list as a series that ventured into the area of AR technology.

I love how the name of this show gets tossed around but no one has done a damn review or talked about it so that it can be part of a discussion. Sad Evil or Very Mad
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I love how the name of this show gets tossed around but no one has done a damn review or talked about it so that it can be part of a discussion.

There were two reviews for the DVD release of Dennou Coil.
EDIT: I think that those reviews were for the Australian release. Did this have a US release? If so then apparently it was not reviewed.

There is also a discussion thread for it in the Anime forum.
It has not had any activity for seven or eight years, but it is there if you want to use it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
I love how the name of this show gets tossed around but no one has done a damn review or talked about it so that it can be part of a discussion.

There were two reviews for the DVD release of Dennou Coil.
EDIT: I think that those reviews were for the Australian release. Did this have a US release? If so then apparently it was not reviewed.

There is also a discussion thread for it in the Anime forum.
It has not had any activity for seven or eight years, but it is there if you want to use it.

Yeah, I know but there are shows that aired that got some rare reviews and they didn't always have a release. Sadly Justin never got around to it. But now we are reviewing shows, but only because they are being streamed. But hell, seems a good enough people know about it to be mentioned in the list, but not enough to make the list. Oh well...don't mind me. Smile
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Foxaika wrote:
Touma wrote:
For me a persocom would have been number one on the list.
It is probably better not to go into detail about why. Embarassed

Uh, this Embarassed

The notion of persocoms always makes me think of the Electric Light Orchestra song "Yours Truly, 2095." I'm kind of amazed I've never seen an AMV with that combination.

E.L.O. wrote:
*I met someone who looks a lot like you;
She does the things you do,
But she is an IBM."

That's been a favorite song of mine for years. I've never seen it used with Chobits either, but there is an older AMV out there that uses it paired with Saber Marionette J, which is also a pretty good choice.
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
vanfanel wrote:
Foxaika wrote:

Uh, this Embarassed

The notion of persocoms always makes me think of the Electric Light Orchestra song "Yours Truly, 2095." I'm kind of amazed I've never seen an AMV with that combination.

E.L.O. wrote:
*I met someone who looks a lot like you;
She does the things you do,
But she is an IBM."

That's been a favorite song of mine for years. I've never seen it used with Chobits either, but there is an older AMV out there that uses it paired with Saber Marionette J, which is also a pretty good choice.

It also fits perfectly with the movie "My Girlfriend Is a Cyborg"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:53 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:

6. Eden of the East App (Eden of the East) The application seen in East of Eden allows individuals to take a picture with their phones and learn anything they'd want to know from the subject in the photo. The concept is feasible enough, it's almost surprising it doesn't already exist. ...

We're closer to that part of the future than you might think Wink ...
Google’s Brain-Inspired Software Describes What It Sees in Complex Images

Actually, Google already made one called Google Goggles (take a picture, it identifies it, then gives you info about it). However, development of the app seems to have stalled.

Another one that people use now is CamFind.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Quote:

The application seen in East of Eden allows individuals to take a picture with their phones and learn anything they'd want to know from the subject in the photo.

I, for one, would hope that technology never sees widespread use, as it would signal the end of privacy as we know it. It would be Wikileaks times a thousand.

Google Goggles could have been built-in to Google Glasses: any person in view would get face-detection matched on the web then personal info like photo, name, age, address, job, etc. would pop-up on Google Glasses. So you'd know something about the person even before your introductions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4