• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - SNK-Hole

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I
Dan, now there's a character who needs his own series/movie. How he didn't make it into the Street Fight II tournament, how he doesn't have rivals, how he's not taken seriously, not even by himself...

I'd watch it.

Sagat is considered Dan's rival because the former beat up his father, And Dan takes himself seriously enough to be good friends with Blanka and a mentor to Sakura......eventhough Ryu is considered Sakura's unofficial mentor.

GATSU wrote:
Anime: You should be glad Hibiki was left intact in the SF Alpha anime, 'cus they originally killed him off, until the test audiences complained.

Yeah I always wondered how Dan shrugged off Vega's brutal and bloody assault then showed up in the 2nd half of the ova/movie with none of the injuries from the last fight and still getting his ass kicked.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Mon May 04, 2015 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Dan's just a bad Ryo rip-off

Cool
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
I think it depends on whether the US DVDs predate the Japanese one or not. The first CPM DVD appears to have been released in 1998, according to the encyclopedia.

The Japanese DVD has a release date of 2003-09-26, so the first release absolutely does. If you believe the release date stated here and at amazon, then the second release also predates the Japanese release by a couple months. But rightstuf.com and other sites give it a 2005-03-01 release date, so I don't know.

I've checked out that version on Youtube that was obviously ripped from an R1 and it would seem to be her. But it's not just her that's bad, they hired two other first-time voice actors for the two male leads. IIRC, all these first wave SNK anime would use this practice of hiring celebrities in the lead roles and give the veteran seiyu the supporting roles.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Nothing like 90's good stuff. I've never had the chance to sit down and watch these film in the same way things were with the SF features. But gawd, I hate Obari's style. I really do. Not because of the giggle physics, but it's the same love for the artist on Martian Successor Nadesico which became Gonzo's "house style" for awhile. But his robot designs were always interesting. Maybe now I'd be able to go back and watch this regardless of the aesthetics.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Outside of Orgun and the Fatal Fury movie, Obari's best stuff was always his hentai.

Well, that and his work as animation director and mecha styler on various productions.

I bow to no one in my love for the Fatal Fury OVAs (well, at least 2 and the movie. The first one is rather mediocre). The movie is a rollicking globe trotting adventure with some very nice and flashy animation. And I didn't have a problem with the Sulia-Terry romance. It just adds to sweet, sweet, cheese of the film.

But the 2nd OVA is actually better than most people remember. In fact, it's a bit of an underrated gem of the 90s. I was also surprised at the brutality of some of the violence in that one. It's not as much of a lightshow as FF the Movie, but it makes up for it in sheer HURT. You really feel the blows between Krauser and Terry in that one. It also gets points for being bold enough to make Terry a bit of a coward and pessimist. It's the second OVA which really made him stand out from the usual fighting game anime protagonist.
toddc

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
My ideal fighting-game anime remains an anthology of shorts based on Guilty Gear. No overarching plot or nonsense like that. Just hand off each character to a different highly talented animator and have 'em go nuts.

Running Wild wrote:

Also I hate when people call Art Of fighting a Street Fighter rip-off. Art Of Fighting is totally unique and innovative, it didn't play particularly well, but it helped revolutionize fighting game mechanics. The anime adaption though was lousy, it had no Mr.Karate! I do love some of the one liners though, particularly from Robert.

Funny thing: Takashi Nishiyama, the creator of the original Street Fighter, left Capcom and went to SNK, where he made Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting. So they weren't rip-offs so much as natural evolutions of his ideas. Nishiyama even considers Fatal Fury his personal Street Fighter II.

Now, just about every other fighting game of the 1990s ripped off Street Fighter somehow, but I think we all knew that.
Maokun

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
The one thing I took out of this article was the rather sad realisation that Tsukasa Kotobuki, creator of my teenaged years' beloved Saber Marionette (yeah the guy that drew those eyes) seems to be exclusively dedicated nowadays to draw hardcore hentai. Worse, even, he no longer uses his iconic eyes.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
^
Ah...Tsukasa Kotobuki, I remember...Wasn't he the same guy that made Cyber Team in Akihabara?

I had no idea that he's now into hentai (very sad indeed Sad ). I was wondering what became of him after watching Saber Marionette.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3