• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Pushed Forward to March 31, 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
It's all about the ca$h in.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
movie hasn't air, but let's all be negative about it! Very Happy Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Reminds me of a certain movie released years ago that was based off a certain popular anime series. That movie flopped so bad it wasn't even funny how bad it was. And the best part about that was I didn't even waste my time seeing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Nice that they have confidence in it, but it'll probably still be as bad as the live-action Aeon Flux.

Tenchi: It's called cutting-and-pasting, not homage. Rolling Eyes

I don't get how Matrix is a "ripoff" of GITS. Because it's cyberpunk? Because it has philosophical themes? By your logic, GITS is a ripoff of Phillip K Dick and Blade Runner. Matrix has more in common with Necromancer and Simulacra and Simulation than GITS.

Secondly, even if it WAS a "ripoff", it still wouldn't be a ripoff of GITS, since Oshii's GITS isn't GITS. It has little to do with the manga in terms of story and style, with only bits and pieces of dialogue from the manga, with a completely different tone and almost no comedy, not to mention the horrible character design of Motoko, which is a spit in the face to Masamune.

{Do not be insulting towards others. ~nobahn}
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
Great Rumbler:
Quote:
It would take something pretty major at this point to derail it.

Trying to decipher the mess that is Shirow's manga commentary would be a good start. Laughing

Kadmos: They kind of already did. Rolling Eyes
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
I don't see why people could be so skeptical about this movie. Ah, I see, because they are unhappy that Scarlett Johannson is hired to play the female lead when they want it to remain fully faithful to the original Japanese anime.

To that, I point to the film Edge is Tomorrow and argue that the Westernization of originally Japanese characters have literally no correlation to whether a film adaptation would be good or not. What matters most is that the direction, the script and the cast deliver the essence of the original work and that's all. Scarlett Johannson is a wonderful actress and I'm perfectly confident that she could pull the role off pretty well.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
It's being pushed forward so it wouldn't compete with Fast & Furious 8. That was coming out on the exact same day, and they knew it would have little chance of competing with it at the box office. Pacific Rim was also slated to open the same day, and that was pushed back until August for the same reason.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Master: Edge of Tomorrow works, because it's a generic alien invasion concept which is not exclusively dependent on its Asian setting. But I don't think you can white-wash the likes of, say, Bleach, as easily.

Quote:
What matters most is that the direction, the script and the cast deliver the essence of the original work and that's all.

The director's unproven and the last sci-fi Scarjo worked on almost killed her career. Rolling Eyes
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
as I said last time wait till the movie is out in theaters to bitch, ffs people where do you get all the energy for continuous bitching till the movie is out
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
The Matrix (10/10 but the sequels...) is based on the DC/Vertigo comic The Invisibles first and foremost bit it also remakes scenes from GitS 1 to 1.

The special features (or youtube) acknowledge the GitS connections with a side by side comparison so look em up and IG was comissioned to do The Second Renaissance for a reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saturn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

The director's unproven and the last sci-fi Scarjo worked on almost killed her career. Rolling Eyes

Which of ScarJo's sci-fi movie are you talking about? "Her", which was hugely critically acclaimed? "Lucy", which was a box office success and had good reviews? "Under the Skin" which was also critically acclaimed?

How about the fact that she's a goddamn Avenger?

I fail to see where you were going with that...
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Which of ScarJo's sci-fi movie are you talking about? "Her", which was hugely critically acclaimed? "Lucy", which was a box office success and had good reviews? "Under the Skin" which was also critically acclaimed?

How about the fact that she's a goddamn Avenger?

I fail to see where you were going with that...

I think Gatsu is referring to "The Island"(but that was 10 years ago).

And yeah not feeling confident in Sanders, but at least this movie could work with a $80 million budget unlike that Akira disaster. (I hope the movie takes more from Oshii than Shirow since Oshii transcended the manga and GITS:SAC works by doing what Shirow couldn't and what Oshii could.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Saturn: Lucy's an action movie with sci-fi elements. Slight difference.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote
The Island was a decade ago and hardly relevant now. Scarlett's a much bigger star now, and arguably the biggest female action star right now.

And I'm pretty sure this will be more of an action movie than a sci-fi movie, and likely very similar to Lucy in many ways.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
So this is good news, I guess? Well, this means the movie is actually going to happen now unlike the Akira movie. At this point, I don't care if it's good or bad, I'll probably end watching it anyway just to see how it turns out.

AbZeroNow wrote:
I think Gatsu is referring to "The Island"(but that was 10 years ago).

Ugh, I remember "The Island". My friend and I got tickets for a free screening when it first came out. I'm glad it was free, lol. In any case, she's a better actor now than she was back then.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

A March release ha the script must be awful, another western remake of an anime already recognised as a bomb.

If ya guys haven't noticed, the "summer" blockbuster months have been expanding - it's called "summer blockbuster creep." Although the # of summer blockbusters keeps growing, the # of weeks in late spring does not, so rather than turn Memorial Day weekend into a box-office bottleneck, in recent years studios have been more willing to spread the release dates of their biggest films around the calendar in the hope of avoiding a pile-up with other blockbusters, including releasing summer blockbusters earlier and earlier. March is becoming the new May.

Star Trek - May 8, 2009
The Avengers: Age of Ultron - May 1, 2015
Fast Five - April 29, 2011
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - April 4, 2014
Furious 7 - April 3, 2015
Hunger Games - March 12, 2012
Alice in Wonderland - March 5, 2010
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3