• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Blood Blockade Battlefront

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:13 am Reply with quote
I absolutely love how they don't waste a second on unnecessary exposition and jump right in, letting the gorgeous visuals and directing tell the story. The fast pacing is difficult to follow while reading the subtitles, but I enjoy pausing and going back for certain scenes because they are just so visually striking. This is certainly a show that can be appreciated more and more with repeated viewing. It's erratic and wild, but I don't think it's incoherent. I feel splendidly entertained by this series.
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god. This show is too quick to me I need a dub or spanish sub immediately.

I think I agree when people say this show doesn't lose anytime explaining things that are pretty obvious, like the rules and the place where Klaus and the alien guy were playing.

However, I am not as hyped by this show as Hope or other people might be. Maybe the show is too crazy to me or I'm missing a lot of key points. The animation doesn't look that beautiful to me. The camera angles are good, but they don't make me like the direction more. But what I do like is the music and OST. That is what makes me stay awake all along the show. So far, I'd give a B or B+ to these three episodes.

I want to love this show more, though. I hope I can find that 'missing something' that will make me acclaim this anime in the later episodes.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote
This is regarding last week's episode, since it just went free.
Quote:
Klaus isn't as good at Prosfair as Ulchenko, but he can still beat Arlelelle because he is patient.

While I'm sure patience had a lot to do with it, I thought it was pretty clear that Klaus was just that good of a Profair player, and that Ulchenko's insinuation that he was "the best" was just boasting on his part. While it was obviously not Klaus' intention to show him up, it still happened. Winning a 99-hour game of uber-chess seems like something that would require, yes, patience, but also determination and skill (all of which Klaus clearly had in spades). This is the way I interpreted what happened in Ep.3, at least.
Random 21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there's any show quite as consistently perfect as this. For all 4 current episodes, I've been thoroughly enthralled from start to finish. I'm not just rewatching these episodes because I want to find the details I missed, but because I loved what I saw so much that I need to watch it again. I pray to God that this show keeps up the way it's going, because it's on it's way to being my new favorite.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
This show is fantastic. It really feels like a spiritual step back in time to the early 2000's, but with modern (and impressive) production values. It's a style of anime that I haven't felt in a long while, and I've been enjoying it very much.

I would agree with this 4th episode's review in how much content is crammed into the episode --- part of me wonders if it's detrimental, or if it's just from not being able to process all the on-screen action as naturally while having to read subtitles. I guess I feel like I want things to go at a little slower pace, and learn more about the characters, the world and the story before things start exploding on the screen. All the same, I really love this show for what it's done so far, and can't wait to see more.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Let's just stop making episode review and give this anime an A+ and call it AOTY.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
What the heck was up with the barnyard animals in the soundtrack this time? I kept thinking, "Is someone mooing? Yes, that's definitely cows mooing. Why are there cows mooing?" By the time they added in the sheep and chickens, I was just chuckling in bafflement. I'm sure there was a point to it, like maybe a metaphor for livestock to slaughter or something, but it obviously went over my head. Smile
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What the heck was up with the barnyard animals in the soundtrack this time? I kept thinking, "Is someone mooing? Yes, that's definitely cows mooing. Why are there cows mooing?" By the time they added in the sheep and chickens, I was just chuckling in bafflement. I'm sure there was a point to it, like maybe a metaphor for livestock to slaughter or something, but it obviously went over my head. Smile

It was part of the background music. The same piece played in episode two as well. It's "music for goofy antics back at base," I think. Complete with animal noises. The Libra folks were raised in a barn, I guess.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
This show is fantastic. It really feels like a spiritual step back in time to the early 2000's, but with modern (and impressive) production values. It's a style of anime that I haven't felt in a long while, and I've been enjoying it very much.

I would agree with this 4th episode's review in how much content is crammed into the episode --- part of me wonders if it's detrimental, or if it's just from not being able to process all the on-screen action as naturally while having to read subtitles. I guess I feel like I want things to go at a little slower pace, and learn more about the characters, the world and the story before things start exploding on the screen. All the same, I really love this show for what it's done so far, and can't wait to see more.

This is why I prefer manga its a lot easier to follow a storyline when you can re-read a scene over and over again at your leisure.

As for the main complaint about this series that it introduces plotlines that show up in one episode and are gone the next. The start of each storyline/Episode makes it clear that BBB is about the adventures of Libra trying to protect the HL from the various threats going on. Its not trying to be something like Trigun where the main storyline is Vash trying to stop Knives and the Gungho Guns. The Blood Breed will show up fairly consistently. The anime will bring back Femt, and since the ending has Femt and the villain from the next episode interacting than its obvious that she will be brought back as well presumably forming the Legion of Doom which will be the main story for the last few episodes.

Characters are introduced with little fanfare because the characters already know the new character. You dont need to know K.K's life story because when you introduce a friend to a new person you dont give them your friend's life story.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
^^ I knew it was part of the soundtrack rather than the scene, but I hadn't really noticed it in episode 2. It just seemed especially intrusive this time, especially once the sheep and chickens chimed in with no onscreen action or dialog. Smile I wonder what the title of it is?

Btw, I loved that beautiful graffiti mural they walked past. I also got a chuckle out of the "Blur Moon" product placement.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I love this show and all the little background details it has. I had to rewatch the scene to catch the fact that the male blood breed got crushed by Klaus right before he sealed the Elder. This show's amazing. It's my personal AOTS
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I think the episode works, but it'd be a nice two-parter too. I imagine the reveal of the enemy would've made a good cliffhanger.
Also I'm slow but I just realize the significance of the whole choice of using TV-styled footage, and photo-styled footage, youtube, and the i-phone.

There's definitely an interplay of different way we see the world, what is hidden and what isn't. Juxtapose with Leonard's eyes and his desire to find the truth of what happened to his sister.

Not sure as of yet how it fits into the show's larger themes.
Doc Hamme

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Why do I love this show so much? I shouldn't, honestly I shouldn't. So much happens in an individual episode it's both very easy and very hard to keep up. But - dat ANIMATION. Dat SOUNDTRACK. Aside from Unlimited Blade Works, this is probably the best looking and best sounding show all season. Yes, I'm including Sound! Euphonium in that statement too.
I love it. 10/10, A+, all the awards. Now if you'll excuse me, I must go watch all four episodes again. For the fifth time.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 was excellent, really giving me hope it'll all be excellent. But, please, show, get to the introduction of Zed O'Brien!

JesuOtaku, am I right in assuming you translated the dialog yourself and gave us the more accurate translations with your quotes instead of the Funi subs?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
Episode 4 was excellent, really giving me hope it'll all be excellent. But, please, show, get to the introduction of Zed O'Brien!

JesuOtaku, am I right in assuming you translated the dialog yourself and gave us the more accurate translations with your quotes instead of the Funi subs?

No, I just paraphrased. That quote has the same phrases as in the subtitles, just in a different order. So I took some stuff from the middle of his speech and put it at the end or whatever, but it's about half of what he says in total, I didn't want to literally write out the whole thing, just the relevant parts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13