• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Vision of ANNCastaflowne

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
It was kind of fun listening to Zac give in to his nostalgia a little bit. I think looking at things critically is fine and for review purposes it is definitely important(and in Zac's case, he clearly is very good at doing so), but for the most part, when someone is just sitting down to watch something for fun, it's okay to turn off the brain, so-to-speak. It was nice to see that Zac, as critical as he tends to be, has shows like that too.
To clarify, I haven't seen Escaflowne yet, as I'm waiting for the pending BD release, so I'm not bashing this show in any way.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
This show needed a cruel editor's knife. You can't recover from losing a third of the running-time by just cramming everything in what you've got left. And it wasn't as if they found out about this when they were half done.

The part where Hitomi is actually controlling events kind of broke it for me because some of the things she had apparently caused she couldn't have possibly imagined. I'm not asking for it to be completely literal or intuitive (it's supposed to be mysterious, after all), but this destiny-changing idea seems to reject any fear or worry which is not a realistic human condition. It seems to less say "focusing on possible disaster will hold you back" and more "never worry about anything ever".

The example that I remember is when Dilandu tries to stab Van by surprise from a long distance by pushing his robot's creepy tentacle things to their limit, essentially sniping him. Was the worry that Hitomi had that was supposed to have caused this was just that Van might get killed? That's a completely reasonable fear to have given the circumstances.

The movie wasn't good but it did do a few things I rather liked. It did the fantasy-version giant robots better than the TV series, with the robots seemingly like symbiotic monsters or gods or something. The more Renaissance-era style of some of the design (especially the flying ships) was pretty neat.

A good scene is early on with Hitomi's suicide note. When her friend discovers it, she mocks Hitomi for how boringly it's written and it's all played for laughs. Then Hitomi says she's not serious and will live out her life normally, and it's then that she sounds terribly sad. The issue with the depressed teenager is not the obvious one, the threat of suicide, but the fact that she doesn't care about being alive; i.e. the depression itself. This was a clever start to a story about depression (rather than an anti-suicide PSA), but it doesn't really carry it through to anywhere interesting, as discussed in the podcast.

I do also like the very end where exactly as Hitomi ties up her character arc in a bow (maybe a bit on-the-nose) she slowly fades from Gaia. No big dramatic farewell scene with Van. She stayed exactly as long as she needed.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I forgot to comment on the English dub.

I thought it was decent. I mean, it's pretty standard Ocean fare, and not anywhere near as good as the Japanese version, but it's not really terrible by any means. Kirby Morrow turns in a decent performance as Van, Paul Dobson is good as Folken, and the guy who plays Dilandau is okay, too. Nobody really shines, but I can't think of anybody that torpedoes their role, either. It's a middle-of-the-road "tolerable" English dub typical of its time and studio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
One of those anime that could snag "casual" fans on our univ club showings back in the day. And that OP!

Escaflowne was a big deal to Bandai. Among others, Bandai even flew Hitomi's English VA Kelly Sheridan all the way to Japan for a special event with counterpart seiyuu Maaya Sakamoto. That's how big deal it was.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2000-09-24/japanese-advance-premiere-of-escaflowne-the-movie

• AnimeVillage will be sending Richard Noboru Kekahuna, Digital Technology Director for Bandai Entertainment, to Japan for the Advance premiere of Escaflowne: The Movie on September 30th and October 1st.

Preliminary scheduled guests include director Kazuki Akane on Sept 30, and Hitomi's Japanese voice actress Maaya Sakamoto on Oct 1. North American attendees include Hitomi's TV English dub voice actress Kelly Sheridan and Bandai Entertainment Vice President and Executive Producer Ken Iyadomi, as well as Translation Script Consultant Egan Loo.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
This was really interesting for me to listen to; I first watched Escaflowne way back in high school when it was first coming out on VHS, and I just re-watched it with my wife, who had never seen it before.

I never knew that it was originally scheduled to be 39 episodes long, but it really shows now that I think about it. Abandoning the pacing of the first half of the show in favor of cramming in as much as possible in every episode definitely hurt the show. I still enjoyed it a lot, but my wife, not having experienced it in her youth as one of her earlier anime series, wasn't nearly so enamoured of it. She didn't dislike it, but wasn't strongly attached to any of the characters and thought the plot got kind of silly and nonsensical as it went along. (Now we're watching through Zakuro, and she's enjoying it a lot more. Man, why doesn't anybody ever talk about Zakuro?)

One part of the show, though, that the podcast only briefly touched on and I feel like needs an opposing viewpoint, is Nariya and Eriya. While their character designs are obviously intended to appeal to a certain demographic, they were among both our favorite characters for a couple of reasons.

One is their importance to one of the show's more subtle themes: racism. It really beats you over the head with its main themes (fate fate fate, love love love), so nobody pays much attention to it -- but notice how even in the podcast, nobody talks about the beastmen much. In the show, every character in any kind of position of leadership, rulership, or wealth is human. The vast majority of beastmen we see are servants, peasants, or slaves, and nobody bats at eye at it. Van is nice to Merle, and so is Hitomi despite Merle antagonizing her, but, with a few occasional exceptions, the rest of the cast just ignores her. It's obvious that there's systemic racism against beastmen in Gaea, and Eriya and Nariya put a capstone on that; spoiler[their mother is killed by villagers who try to capture and sell them into slavery, and this is treated like it's perfectly normal. The only person who's ever nice to them is Folken, who takes them in, gives them new names, and protects them]. If it wasn't for their arc, you could write off the treatment of beastmen as laziness on the part of the writers who wanted all of the important characters to be human, but instead it's obvious that their treatment is an intentional part of the world.

In that light, I think their infatuation with Folken is understandable, which leads to another reason why I like them; they get more character development than most of the secondary characters. The sisters are pretty interchangeable until the episode when spoiler[one of them is used in Dornkirk's plan to separate Hitomi and Van. After Folken kisses Eriya, that changes their relationship. It does lead to the scene that makes everybody uncomfortable when Nariya tries to kiss Eriya, but the jealousy between them also makes them realize that Folken isn't actually romantically interested in either of them. That puts a crack in their unwavering devotion to him. When Nariya later kidnaps Hitomi (in the middle of suffering through their slow, agonizing deaths), Hitomi gives her a "you seem like nice people, why don't you stop being bad guys?" speech, and it actually works, unlike with every other villain ever. She lets Hitomi go and goes back to Folken, where she and Eriya both die and make me sad because they probably would've gotten a lot more development if the series had run another 13 episodes.]

Anyway, I think a lot of people unfairly write them off and ignore their importance to the show because of that one scene that makes everybody particularly uncomfortable... and I don't think even that is necessarily a bad scene, because I can appreciate a good scene that makes me squirm a bit and think about why it had that effect and what its purpose was.
MaxSterling

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I remember getting these tapes directly from Bandai Anime Village as they were released. Great beauty in this show and the VHS had great covers. I also saw Fox's broadcast but only saw 2 eps. The Spanish-Latino version was compelling and my preferred version after the Japanese. The music was excellent and to this day I still listen to the soundtracks. The critique isn't without merit, I just don't hear much of the love for the show. I personally love the characters, music, mecha design, and story.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
About the fate engine and what the show was saying about it with the fact that when it wound itself up, the generals became power hungry and wanted to go to war:

I don't think that the show was saying that the natural state of people is to want power, nor is it saying that the machine is bad. I think the main message is that people end up setting up events so that they find themselves in the situations where they have the opportunities they want. Those people were not a normal and random subset of humanity: rather they were army generals, people who self selected to fight to increase the advantage and standing of their own poulations, potentially even at the expense of others. So naturally they would want power, and would be the kind of people to start such wars if their passions were to be amplified and let to run wild. And the circumstances were such that those kind of people were the ones who were there.

I think the point is that people, like Dornkirk/spoiler[Newton] often times people create inventions and have ideas, essentially creating value and power in the world, but those in power who serve to use and serve to benefit from them see things in a fundamentally different way, from a less global and long term perspective, and more from a perspective of short term and personal gain.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
The series did run its course on tv. Up here in Canada, YTV aired the whole thing, edited but at least in the proper order, after Fox pulled the plug.

FireChick wrote:
I like this anime. I first saw it in 2012, and it's the only anime I've seen in more than two languages (English, Japanese, German, and Italian). But Dilandau's voice is hilariously chirpy in the English version, and I hope FUNimation re-dubs it with a better cast and dubs the deleted scenes.

FireChick, I'd be interested to know which dub you watched, or thought that you watched. There were 2 distinct English dubs done: The broadcast dub featured edited violence, scaled back language, and episodes chopped up and animated over; The home release was utterly uncut visually, and had the language scaled up again to its PG-13 level.

I love this anime. I came to it through the edited Fox version, and was entranced by it. When I found out that there was an uncut version, through a drama club acquaintance, and then saw said version for sale at a local store, I was on Cloud 9. I bought each volume and watched them inside out. This is one of the earliest anime that I purchased, as I was in high school at the time, though not one of the earliest anime that I watched: It holds a special place in my heart both for its in world and real world existences.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
Excellent podcast, in particular I have never seen Zac talk about an anime before like this. Its was incredible to hear Zac grapple with Nostalgia and made me question how I viewed anime from the early 2000s. In terms of talking about AnnCast dedicated to one show, this is easily the best one. Really cant say much about Escaflowne itself because I have only seen like 6 episodes. Just really wanted to mention my appreciation for all of those involved.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:

The series did run its course on tv. Up here in Canada, YTV aired the whole thing, edited but at least in the proper order, after Fox pulled the plug.

The worker, non-anime guy who was literally working on the edits for Fox Kids, actually went to the rec.arts.anime.misc newsgroups to ask for suggestions on how/what can be edited and satisfy the boss Fox's wishes yet still keeping the essence of the story and not nerfing it for the later episodes. T'was an enlightening peek into what goes on behind the scenes on the bosses minds, what can and what cannot be accomplished, plus providing us a heads-up on what to expect to happen in the upcoming eps. But alas, it didn't last too long.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
^ Does that text still exist? I'd very much like to read it if it does.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

^ Does that text still exist? I'd very much like to read it if it does.

Seems some newsgroup posts have become missing (either weren't archived or were deleted), but look for posts by tvguy6885 @ my-deja.com like this one:

• i'm sorry to hear that. i'm one of those "network guys" that works on
    escaflowne.

and i understand why you're upset.

BUT, look at it from my ppoint of view:

now, i'm a fan of the ORIGINAL series...have been ever since i got a
    fansub of the show in college back in '96. so when i found out that
    the powers that be licensed the series from bandai, i was pissed
    because i KNOW that escaflowne is NOT the Fox Kids demographic, which
    is boys 6-11. but the deal was done and the show was given to me. now
    there's absolutely NO WAY i could leave the show completely intact and
    have it air, for a bunch of reasons: i only have 21 minutes and 20
    seconds per episode, one of our countless absurd network policies is
    that we CANNOT have more than 90 seconds of silence in a show, all
    shows must contain music scored by us (but Bandai fought this (thank
    god) and retained the right to keep SOME of the score)....i could go on
    and on...

but the other thing i want to mention is that american kids have
    EXTREMELY short attention spans. and in japan they treat their
    animation more like art and as such, they take their time with scenes,
    storylines, etc. that doesn't fly here in the US. kids would turn it
    off because it would be too boring, hence the faster pace.
    additionally, we're talking KIDS here, and few 6 year-olds would be
    able to follow a story as deep and involved as escaflowne. i've tried
    to keep as much of the story intact as i can, while trying not to
    confuse the kids.

and as to why we started with episode 2, it's for the reason that
    someone already mentioned in one of these threads...i can't say it
    because i'm not supposed to say things like that...

i'm doing the best i can with the room that i have, so please keep
    these things in mind as you watch the rest of the series.

tvguy

Or another one:

• there are two reasons for the music change.

first...once the picture is edited the original music is unusable
    because the timing is off. there's no way to fix that aside from going
    back to kanno to redo the score, which is out of the question.

secondly, we would not air the show unless that we (saban music dept.)
    were allowed to do ALL the music over. bandai said no. so we agreed
    to use some of the music and fill the rest with new original stuff.
    additionally, the original music is in roughly 30-40% of each
    episode...which contributes to the show's slow pacing. having a small
    amount of music like that is unacceptable for a fox kids
    show...especially considering the goal of stepping up the pace. not
    saying i agree with the policy, but i have to work with it.

i would have liked to keep more of the original music as well, though i
    have to admit some of the choices for certain themes in certain scenes
    seemed odd (never liked the theme played during allen and van's first
    duel). but that could just be my whacky american sensibility.

the bottom line is that this was a deal driven show. bandai knows that
    we're the only network capable of giving their shows a worldwide
    audience (it's playing in canada as well and will hopefully be in
    europe by next spring), so they are much more willing to compromise...

tvguy

And this one:

• which is ok...you have a right to do so, i guess.

just be aware that though some of my superiors support me coming into
    this newsgroup (albeit from a distance) alot of them would not. and i
    know that there's no way to regulate this, but i'd like to play it as
    safe as possible...of course if i REALLY wanted to play it safe i
    wouldn't come here at all. ah well. anyhoo....

bits of info:

just finished city of intrigue...

got a funny letter of S&P asking that we tone down the "sexual
    undertones" of nariya and eriya's relationship...

i have an interview with the orlando sentinel later this week, which i
    guess means that you guys will know my name soon enough.

and i will take all of your show suggestions to heart....especially
    patlabor. forgot all about that...

ok, that's it. off to dinner...

tvguy

This:

• so the show's not doing as well as i hoped. and being pre-empted didn't
    help much either...so here are the numbers:

in children 6-11 escaflowne received a 2.1/10, which is #2 behind Big
    Orange (damn you, catdog!). the numbers have pretty much remained
    consistent in this demo, which buys us some time. it's just that
    they're so dang low....maybe a bit too low according to the higher-ups.
    especially since the digimon lead in was 4.7/18...

the other shows:

batman beyond 1.6/7

DBZ 1.8/8

dinozaurs 2.4/12

the interesting thing is cybersix which received a 3.1/17...pretty damn
    good...

the 9am digimon (5.5/23) CRUSHED pokemon (2.7/11). cardcaptors (3.0/12)
    beat action man (2.7/10) and the 10am pokemon (4.9/19) beat beast
    machines (2.7/10)

that's it.

tvguy

Others:

• true, but escaflowne has beaten batman beyond every week...

true, but there's a reason why pokemon doesn't go up against
    digimon....digimon's a more popular show right now. but pokemon can
    still beat pretty much anything that goes up against it...

well first, batman beyond and DBZ are escaflowne's competition in that
    timeslot. and one would think that pulling a show would be a waste, but
    it's instead viewed as "an acceptable loss" i mean, we have two years
    of big guy and rusty (which is a VERY expensive show), sitting on the
    shelf collecting dust. the thing is, if a show doesn't do well in the
    ratings, the affiliates demand that the network do something about it.
    the change doesn't have to be good, it just has to be change. of course
    the hope is that the replacement show will be better but you never can
    tell.

so to answer your question, every show is potentially in danger of being
    pulled whether money is lost or not...

> Oh, and TVguy, I wanted to ask you if you know how long Fox has the
    American
    > broadcast rights for Esca.? A year? Two?

not sure...i think it's 5

That:

• > Still, doesn't FK keeping the "squished by liquid metal" vision really
    > surprise anyone? I mean, given all of the silly stuff they edit, and
    > they leave THAT in? Odd.

actually, our S&P department didn't perceive the "squishing" scene as a
    problem. the blood squirting out of the sides didn't look like blood to
    them.

whatever.

and as far as the CPR scene goes, we and S&P came to a compromise. i
    thought it was entirely appropriate to show that scene because it's
    something that kids have experienced or will experience in their
    lifetime. S&P was okay with that, but they thought that the many shots
    of Hitomi's vacant eyes were too much. so i had to figure out a way to
    cut the scene down while making sure that it made sense, and also
    keeping it to time. i'm sorry if those additional "filler" images
    didn't work for some of you....maybe i should've had sunrise go back and
    do re-takes of the entire scene for me....

that was sarcasm.

tvguy

More:

• you know, i was amazed too....we received our notes from s & p, and they
    didn't say anything about removing the butt shot....i just assumed it
    was because everyone has a butt and that the scene wasn't very sexual.

as far as dilandau's past goes, episode 21-26 were pretty much
    untouched, save for the blood and gore and cutting to time. dilandau's
    past just wasn't deemed as controversial as i thought. too bad the
    general audience won't be able to see them.

but bandai, as always, came out on top because now you can purchase the
    bilingual dvd, the dubbed vhs AND the fox kids version from them.
    hoo-ha.

tvguy

Or reports like this one:

• tvguy reports that editing of original episode 19, "Golden Rule of Love"
    is very difficult. This particular episode revolves around preparations
    for a wedding and confessions of love among the characters, with no action
    at all. Even with trimming the higher-ups still don't like it. This means
    the final series will probably be only 22 episodes long. On the plus side,
    by all appearances the worst is over for Escaflowne ratings-wise. The
    numbers have marginally improved over previous weeks (although they still
    are relatively low compared to other shows) and it is still competitive in
    its time slot. If it maintains its current level of viewers the show will
    likely be continued for the rest of its season.

And of course:

• escaflowne's getting pulled.

prophecy of doom (aka prophecy of death) will be the last episode to
    air, which will be oct 21. it's being replaced by NASCAR racers.

yay.

well, it was good while it lasted, eh? some of you may disagree, but
    i'd like to think that airing this show raised the quality of kids
    television, if only for a little while.

as for me....i'll still be around. especially since there seems to be a
    girl named Lina Inverse in my future...

feel free to ask any specific questions....

late.

tvguy

> So much for the rumor of Sci-Fi Channel getting Slayers. I hope your
    > higher ups have seen more than the first four episodes.

nope.

Heheh, Slayers is for another day.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
FireChick, I'd be interested to know which dub you watched, or thought that you watched. There were 2 distinct English dubs done: The broadcast dub featured edited violence, scaled back language, and episodes chopped up and animated over; The home release was utterly uncut visually, and had the language scaled up again to its PG-13 level.

The second one. But the "deleted scenes" I'm referring to are scenes that were cut out from the original Japanese broadcast, but are on the recently released Japanese blu-rays. In fact, the recent fansubbings contain those scenes. There's a website detailing them, but it has since gone dead. But there is an old ANN topic about them here: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126503
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:43 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
tvguy posts from RAAM

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! I'd forgotten all about that guy's updates.

I'm wavering on whether to listen to this podcast or not. Escaflowne was one of the first anime I watched raw (just a few eps of it), and I absolutely fell in love with its characters, story, world, and music -- I even love the character designs. I still remember what a thrill it was when Bandai started their Anime Village website and released it on VHS -- I was able to get the whole thing at once, when before I'd been unsure if I'd ever get to see the rest of it at all (bootlegs were a no-no for me).

I loved the show, and even though I too always felt the ending was rushed, I'm not keen on listening to harsh criticism of it. Escaflowne's kind of like an ex-girlfriend: I can criticize all I want, but if anyone else starts doing it, I turn protective Smile
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
I loved the show, and even though I too always felt the ending was rushed, I'm not keen on listening to harsh criticism of it.

For what it's worth, the podcast's treatment of the show was really pretty nice. Unlike some of their podcasts on specific shows, all of the speakers for this one really enjoyed Escaflowne. There's a fair amount of criticism about how rushed the second half of the show was, with a couple of lines about how none of them liked Nariya and Eriya, and of course the movie was terrible and nobody liked it... but I don't remember many strong complaints other than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3