• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ushio & Tora Supernatural Battle Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
Awesome, awesome news. It's about time this one got a TV series, and it sounds like it's got some talented people working on it.

Now, if we can get the same deal for 3x3 Eyes, my 1990's adventure/horror flashback will be complete!
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:54 am Reply with quote
Definitely count me in, this looks like something I'd enjoy. Gonna search up the OVA's too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
With them waiting this long for a TV anime, they might be able to depict the whole series.
Anime_Otaku35

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
Yes!!! I never expected this to happen. The OVAs have always been a favorite of mine, so I can't wait to check out the TV series.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
Tomchic420 wrote:
Ushio & Tora aired on the Anime Network awhile back. That's how I knew about it. But they took it off for some reason and I don't even know how it ended. Confused

No resolution; the anime just told several stories from a very long manga that I think was still going at the time the OVAs were made.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
omfg, I was just discussing manga that need full TV anime adaptions with my niece about a week ago and spent a good part of it going on about how Ushio & Tora never got a proper anime adaption and the OVAs never properly introduced the main antagonist Hakumen no Mono. I made the weirdest noise when I read this because I didn't want to squeal so lound I woke my niece up.

Last edited by Weazul-chan on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
2. Parasyte -the maxim- - Currently, Parasyte -the maxim- (Kiseijū: Sei no Kakuritsu) is gaining more favorable reviews and sales figures. This show is based on a manga that ran from 1988 to 1995, thus giving the decision-makers the notion to check older, unanimated material for upcoming projects.

Before Parasyte there was David Productions Jojo. But no, the reason they are animating old mangas is not out of nostalgia (albeit it is a factor), the simple truth is that nowadays they are animating so many mangas and light novels that they are running out of material. So mark my words, in less than five years we will have a Vampire Hunter D and Bastard! TV series.
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
Did not expect to see this happen I still have the ADV DVD set which replaced my old Western Connection VHS.

It is nice to see my namesake getting another anime Cool
Jajanken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
OH [expletive] SHIT YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I'VE READ A TON OF THIS but I never got around to watching the super long ovas CANNOT BELIEVE ALL THIS GREATNESS!!!!!
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:
OH [expletive] SHIT YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I'VE READ A TON OF THIS but I never got around to watching the super long ovas CANNOT BELIEVE ALL THIS GREATNESS!!!!!
10 half hour OVAs (plus a half hour of SD shorts) isn't really super long, especially when you compare it to how long some OVA series can get.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:
2. Parasyte -the maxim- - Currently, Parasyte -the maxim- (Kiseijū: Sei no Kakuritsu) is gaining more favorable reviews and sales figures. This show is based on a manga that ran from 1988 to 1995, thus giving the decision-makers the notion to check older, unanimated material for upcoming projects.

Before Parasyte there was David Productions Jojo. But no, the reason they are animating old mangas is not out of nostalgia (albeit it is a factor), the simple truth is that nowadays they are animating so many mangas and light novels that they are running out of material.

I forgot Jojo, shame on me! Embarassed
I get your point, although Jojo's case is slightly different, as the manga is still ongoing (kinda, that depends if you in the every-arc-is-a-new-entry camp, or in the every-arc-is-part-of-the-larger-Jojoverse-so-it-all-counts-as-one-entry camp). Kiseijū Sei no Kakuritsu, as well as Ushio to Tora have ended. Another good, current example is Junketsu no Maria (Maria the Virgin Witch); ran from 2008 to 2013 with only 3 tankōbons, got an anime adaptation post-serialization.

Anyways, whatever the reasons are, those are good news.

mangamuscle wrote:
So mark my words, in less than five years we will have a Vampire Hunter D and Bastard! TV series.

Yes, please.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
whattt? No way, whit is this the trend of really old anime getting animated?

I was so surprised when Parasyte got animated despite the fact it ended so damn long ago now Ushio and Tora?

Whats next? Battle Royale? i pray to god its The Record of a Fallen Vampire, Please let it be that
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
If we're talking about new TV anime adaptations of long-running manga that only ever got a couple of OVAs made a long time ago, I'd still love to see a Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou series made. The first two OVA episodes were an excellent introduction to the gentle post-apocalyptic world but only scratched the surface of the manga. The other 2 episodes had a few random bits and pieces where you needed to have already read some of the manga to get the full context.

Another obvious choice, Gunsmith Cats, now that it's easy and economical to do cel-shaded 3D automobiles that looks more or less as good as the super-expensive-to-animate hand-drawn cars from the 1993 OVAs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paulo27

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

Aside from the others reasons this is unlikely, you don't just start a project like this in one season, this has been in the works for a long time I'd imagine.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
OH SH**!!! GET THE F**K OUT OF HERE???? ARE YOU SERIOUS???

Oh, man I never would have thought this would be revisited. I mentioned this a few years ago that anime should go back and tap into some of the older works for a new generation. I mean they did this with Casshern. But remember Ushio & Tora was mentioned on ANN in a article a couple of years ago. It had something to do with goods. Now we actually have a reboot. I really hope they cover a good part of the series as I've never read the manga. I have a couple of volumes and that's about it. Plus, I have the OVA that ADVfilms released some years ago. This show definitely has my attention. I hope it get justice animation-wise. MAPPA??? Oh man, and I loved Rage of Bahamut. I am so stoked right now.

I mean what were the odds this would happen?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3