• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isao Takahata & Ghibli's Princess Kaguya Nominated for Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic to see the film nominated, I hope Disney is red in the face for passing over the film based on that alone. However, I will be rooting for Song of the Sea this year. That was the best animated film of the year for me, no question.
unready

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Winning an Oscar is as much of a big-budget political campaign as winning the US presidency. I really doubt GKids will be campaigning for an Oscar win for Kaguya. Spirited Away won because Disney campaigned for it, not because people in general liked the movie so much. I think the nomination is going to have to be recognition enough for Kaguya.
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Spirited Away won because Disney campaigned for it, not because people in general liked the movie so much. I think the nomination is going to have to be recognition enough for Kaguya.

Do you have evidence for this? Lilo and Stitch came out that same year. WHY would Disney allow their own movie(well, technically, Disney produced both films, so both are "Disney" in terms of production, but you know what I mean) to be beaten by another film? That and the reviews BEFORE the Oscar win show how your point holds little weight. For once, the Oscars were right, but anime fans NEVER seem to be happy. They always have to talk about "politics".
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Given the Oscar's voting is largely based on Hollywood politics and not always about about quality, the chances of it winning are so-so.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Didn't see Big Hero 6 or Box Trolls, and I thought HtTYD2 was just adequate. Lego not being present feels wrong, the film had everything you should want in a film not just for kids but everyone, including heart. I don't remember anyone praising BH6 for anything. To put it into perspective, it's like Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 or Epic replacing Frozen's nomination.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Winning an Oscar is as much of a big-budget political campaign as winning the US presidency. I really doubt GKids will be campaigning for an Oscar win for Kaguya. Spirited Away won because Disney campaigned for it, not because people in general liked the movie so much. I think the nomination is going to have to be recognition enough for Kaguya.

True that. It's got a lot of politics to wade through to get a win.

Again, we know that winning is not a big deal since it's a lot about politics. But the end result is more attention for the film, which is what you want.

Pepperidge wrote:
Fantastic to see the film nominated, I hope Disney is red in the face for passing over the film based on that alone. However, I will be rooting for Song of the Sea this year. That was the best animated film of the year for me, no question.

The non-anime, non Hollywood CGI underdog. Last year it was Ernest and Celestine (which, despite the hipsters out there praising it, wasn't better than The Wind Rises or even Frozen). I did manage to catch Song of the Sea at TIFF. I liked it, but to me it's still a notch below Kaguya. Much like their past film, Secret of Kells, it has a really herky jerky style of pacing where some scenes move too fast and some move too slow.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen Kaguya, but this is a very pleasant surprise! (more disappointment from no Lego Movie though).

It's unfortunate that this couldn't have been released in theaters more recently, as it perhaps would have gotten into a little more cities but at least the bluray/dvd is coming out before the awards actually air (if only barely).
abconline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
It will be Song of the Sea vs Princess Kaguya, with Song of the Sea coming on top.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm putting my money on either Big Hero 6 or HTTYD2, since Boxtrolls is a comparatively obscure movie and the other two barely got an American release. Animated Feature Oscars tend to go to the one that the most voters saw or the one that their kids liked the most.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
It will be HTTYD2 that wins. It won at the Golden Globes, beating out the Lego Movie.

One must suspect there's some sort of political campaign behind it winning the awards.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
I'm glad Princess Kaguya made the nominee list, but what is up with the Lego Movie? I would have assumed that it would be a lock. Guess I will never really understand the Academy's way of thinking.

Mark Gosdin

That was some bullshit. The Lego Movie deserved to be nominated. Though all the nominees are good. I hope Kaguya wins cause it was just so beautifully told . The music and animation were so on point.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
The LEGO movie is just a toy infomercial. Why did anyone expect the voters to go for it?

Lyco:
Quote:
the way that it was only that annoying "Everything is Awesome!" song that got nominated for Best Original Song while the film itself got snubbed for Best Animated Film really shocked me!

That's about right. That really is the only good part of that film.

kirisaki:
Quote:
Not only that but Kaguya Hime is a fantastic film that just isn't getting the attention it deserves.

It's actually doing quite well for a Takahata film released in the U.S. I don't think even Grave of the Fireflies got this far in awareness.

brave:
Quote:
I checked the past list of nominees and I'm surprised Arrietty wasn't nominated that year.

It may not have been eligible.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I only saw Princess Kaguya and Big Hero 6, and of those two I think Kaguya was definitely the better film. Big Hero 6 wasn't bad, it was just an average super hero movie that happened to be (beautifully) animated--and heaven knows we are swimming in super hero movies these days.

Also, I heard a critic discuss how this years Oscar noms are so incredibly male and mostly white. A Japanese movie about a young women rejecting traditional upper class femininity would be a great counter to all those movies about guys (including How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Big Hero 6). I really hope it wins.

I'm completely shocked by that Lego Movie snub, though. What the heck?! On the other hand, it means Kaguya has a better shot. Smile
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

brave:
Quote:
I checked the past list of nominees and I'm surprised Arrietty wasn't nominated that year.

It may not have been eligible.

Arietty was a 2010 film in Japan but didn't get a North American release until February 2012. Had Disney opted to give it an Oscar run, it could have been eligible for either 2010 or 2011, and I was surprised they didn't give Arietty a week in Los Angeles at the end of 2011 (especially since 2011 was a relatively weak field for animated films compared to some other years) even if the wider release was set for February 2012, but 2012 was past the calendar year extension the Academy gives for foreign animated films to be released in Los Angeles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that was a weaker year and the only competition would have been Rango. Also would have helped that the qualifying run comes at the end of the year, creating more fresh buzz. Maybe that killed Lego since it came out so long ago and the Academy has a short memory for that stuff unless they have a barrage of FYC screeners, which animated films do not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4