• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maid Sama! English Dub Cast Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the new english dub but i bet it will be better than the Animax dub. (Don't believe me? Watch a clip of it on Youtube.)
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The Japanese constantly reuse the same seiyuu. I think you should also be complaining about them. I am of the mind that any criticism on Eng. dubs can also be applied to a subbed version.

I don't think it's simply about reusing VAs, but rather reusing VAs that many people may not enjoy. I mean, reuse a VA (to a certain extent of course) that's very well liked and you will most likely get a positive response from that choice. And since the talent pool is significantally smaller in the US you also run the risk of reusing VAs whom may be very well liked to the point where people stop reacting positively about it.

But that's just what I think. Saying "The Japanese do it, why don't you complain about them too??" is just silly to me, and doesn't add anything to the subject. I've seen people complain about Kana Hanazawa and how she appears in everything, though that is many times quickly overshadowed by her seemingly rather large international fanbase Laughing...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Deleted a few posts for over-quoting.

Don't want your posts deleted?

Then don't over-quote.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm a bit surprised to see Jad Saxton's name in there since there don't seem to be a whole lot of Funimation actors that make the trip over to Houston these days unless they've been working for both companies since the ADV days.

she's also in Log horrizen and Sunday without god, still no where as surprising as Tia Ballard being in the Little Busters dub.

Sunday Without God is in my little pile of shows to get to, so I'll look forward to that. If nothing else, a bit more crossover between the studios actors would help add more variety to Sentai's dubs without having to start completely from scratch. It might be more interesting to get some entirely new people in there, but with Sentai's budgets, I would guess that the quicker recording times would be more appealing.
keikanna44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I love this show and I'm so happy it's getting a dub which could mean a bigger audience HOWEVER I'm so tired of Monica Rial voice. Sentai please add greater variety to your dub cast! Her voice is excruciating at times. Anime hyper I like her in some roles but others....just no.

Despite that little hang up I'll still buy it because I want to support the show. Hopefully we can get more episodes in the future. That would be great.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Deleted a few posts for over-quoting.

Don't want your posts deleted?

Then don't over-quote.

I'll keep that in mind, sorry
macattack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people forget that Monica Rial's first breakout role, in terms of the average anime fan hearing her, was as Lyra/Dante in Fullmetal Alchemist, as well as Jo in Burst Angel. Those are major pitch changes from the high voice we often hear from her (oddly enough, her high, child-like voice is actually her natural tone). ESPECIALLY Jo, whose pitch was deeper than anything some low-voice FUNi VAs have managed (such as Jamie Marchi or Martha Harms)

If Monica dropped her pitch for Misaki but kept a youthful tone then Misaki likely has a pretty fitting voice. Monica's at her best in the medium-low to low range IMO, and she is one of the few who can drop her pitch and still switch between teenage and adult tones.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
A lot of people forget that Monica Rial's first breakout role, in terms of the average anime fan hearing her, was as Lyra/Dante in Fullmetal Alchemist, as well as Jo in Burst Angel. Those are major pitch changes from the high voice we often hear from her (oddly enough, her high, child-like voice is actually her natural tone). ESPECIALLY Jo, whose pitch was deeper than anything some low-voice FUNi VAs have managed (such as Jamie Marchi or Martha Harms)

If Monica dropped her pitch for Misaki but kept a youthful tone then Misaki likely has a pretty fitting voice. Monica's at her best in the medium-low to low range IMO, and she is one of the few who can drop her pitch and still switch between teenage and adult tones.

Couldn't have said it better myself (and I've tried). Even her character in Azumanga Daioh had a lower pitch than her normal voice, about mid-range albeit. I imagine it being difficult to keep pitch at a certain level an entire series.

God, I still have that FMA poster she signed at Otakon. Wish I had all the rest of the AZ cast members' signatures; all I got was Monica and Christine Auten's. Damn it, Luci was right there that year!
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
keikanna44 wrote:
I love this show and I'm so happy it's getting a dub which could mean a bigger audience HOWEVER I'm so tired of Monica Rial voice. Sentai please add greater variety to your dub cast! Her voice is excruciating at times. Anime hyper I like her in some roles but others....just no.

Despite that little hang up I'll still buy it because I want to support the show. Hopefully we can get more episodes in the future. That would be great.

i'm afraid not. for one thing there haven't been any new VA talent that i heard of. and lets not forget. sentai/section 23 use to be a part of ADV Films so their gonna use the VA that was ADV regulars. also it would make sense to have a well known vetran VA as the male lead. especially if the other vetrans VA arent unable too.

is there a risk to using the VA on a lot of roles in one year? yes. but not for your reasons. lets not forget when the dub casting for SM was announced , a lot of seph fans didn't liked it at all. but not because of your dislike for rial. but of concerns of the vocal chord going bust ala exel saga.

if it was for reasons of the chord getting strained then yea i would agree considering of the amount of roles she have done for funi the past year,and the fact that a majority of the series that funi and sentai dubbed, she's either the ADR Director or the ADR Script Director or both. and the fact that the japaneese seiryu's voice pitch is kinda high.it would fit if it was a moe character like index or konoka,but not for the role she's leading.

However its been minimum for sentai commitments,but the amount of responsibilities that rial have been doing will definitely be taxing on any VA's body no matter who it is. especially the vocal chords.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I also agree with Kadmos1 that the Japanese studios are even more prone to doing that..
If you look at how many English actors vs Japanese, there are obviously way more overused English actors. They go to the same pool every time. It's because there are fewer choices on the English side.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:04 am Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
While I love Monica and I think she's easily one of the most talented actresses in the voice over field today, this was a complete miscast. They should've done someone with a more sweet voice like Cherami Leigh or Brittney Karbowski. If they did I probably would've given this show another shot.
I would've taken Cherami Leigh as well, especially since she's played other tsundere-type Ayumi Fujimura roles like Ayano Kannagi in Kaze no Stigma and Cecily Cambell in Sacred Blacksmith (also Kneesocks in Panty & Stocking and Mayu Hashimoto in Zetman). Sadly, I think Leigh's moved to L.A. and thus wouldn't have been available for Sentai in the first place.

Like many here, I'm a bit skeptical about Rial as Misaki here, but I'll withhold judgment until I see the dub. Though my main problem with Sentai dubs isn't so much the acting or even the directing; it's the ADR scriptwriting, or lack thereof. Too many rushed subtitle script readthroughs apparently done just to be able to say "hey, there's English audio on these discs" and satisfy the "no dub, no buy" crowd. Like the first season of Medaka Box, which I saw recently -- listenable, but ~90% subtitle script reading, pointless honorifics, awkward phrasings, Japanese name order for no reason, names and words confused or stumbled over, etc. In general, a mess that doesn't live up to the ADV dubs of old.

jr0904 wrote:
yea. i would be the first one to admit that rial sounded a little off when doing houki for infinite stratos, but that was all the ADR scriting i bet since the japaneese voice had a very high pitch and the ADR director wanted to match it. and the series is decent enough that S2 got licensed with a dub as well.
Though seemingly not decent enough to finagle a North American Blu-Ray release of S2. But Houki's Japanese voice is definitely not high-pitched. If you're familiar with the Japanese version of K-On!, it's the same VA who played MIo. And one can't even blame that kind of miscasting on Steven Foster, since IS was directed by Matt Greenfield.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:17 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Though seemingly not decent enough to finagle a North American Blu-Ray release of S2.

That would be a TBS issue, not a Sentai issue.
Almost all of the recent TBS series has had BD holdbacks, so Sentai has been releasing them on DVD first, then BD later when they are allowed to.

The first season of IS was through Media Factory, so it didn't suffer from a BD holdback.
IchigoKurosakiHollowfi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Not looking forward to this at all, I haven't heard a good eng dub in years.
When Maid-sama! First came out, I wanted a Dub to happen, but seeing nowadays Dubs, just no thanks. Imma stick with my Subs. C:
I can't believe it's been nearly 5 years sense KWMS aired. Good times, good times. Very Happy
shterraarson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Well considering the Animax dub of this series is practically an insult... At least it's being re-done in a proper studio. And actually I have previewed the first episode, Monica does drop her voice down a pitch. Everything else sounded fine, Matranga sounds great as Usui.

And as for everyone bitching about over using actors, well the north american market for dub actors is very small. not only that these actors don't make a whole lot of money despite what people think, they need to work. Sentai doesn't have as much money as Funimation so they can't afford the variety of actors that Funimation might have. Once they get back on their feet who knows. Anyways dub haters, stick with your subs and keep your negative comments to yourselves.
TheBlackGirlGamer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Dubs nowadays are lacking... I'm sticking with the subs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3