• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Q Transformers TV Anime's Opening Sequence Streamed With OLDCODEX

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Is there any chance for this particular Transformers anime to get a US release (as in Shout Factory getting this), or will this be a Japan-exclusive show with no chance of a US release?

The episode length for Q Transformers is 5 minutes a piece. The series itself is just being made in promotion of a side toyline, which is a crossover between Tomy's Choro Q and Transformers.If we don't get the toys there's no real reason for us to get this, as I doubt it'll have enough meat on its bones to stand as a product people would want to buy.

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
I long for a Transformers anime that can compete with Gundam and Macross in terms of seriousness and awesomeness.

But they're gonna use the toy show excuse to keep it from being as good it can possibly be even though the other said shows are also toy commercials.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Transformers is universally considered a very young kiddy franchise in Japan, so I do not see that happening. It's only westerners which seem to try to take it seriously.
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
the-antihero wrote:
I hope these designs are just for the opening sequence and not the actual show. If it is, this is Japan's equivalent to Transformers Animated or the TF equivalent to SD Gundam.

Thank God Optimus Prime doesn't have flames and is instead given red stripes. That's the only good thing. F*ck you, Michael Bay!!

Regardless of what you think of the movies, they are the most financially successful of anime series getting live-action adaptations. I think that should account for something.

Transformers isn't anime. Only a few Transformers series have been mostly/solely produced in Japan. Design wise, it is Japanese, since the designs predate Transformers and were from Japan, so the name "Convoy" came first, technically, even if it is incorrect for Transformers. Concept, story wise and copyright wise, it is American. Beast Wars has zero Japanese influence and is an American show produced in association with Canadian production houses, making it Canadian-American, due to CANCON. Only some of the older spinoffs from the 80s-90s, the 2000 series and the Unicron trilogy are Japanese. All the rest are US made.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

I long for a Transformers anime that can compete with Gundam and Macross in terms of seriousness and awesomeness.

Beast Wars, but it's no anime.
And even the Bayformers are technically about seriousness (and awesome to a lot of people).
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Transformers is universally considered a very young kiddy franchise in Japan, so I do not see that happening. It's only westerners which seem to try to take it seriously.

Eh, pretty sure Transformers is considered a kiddy franchise everywhere in the world. Wink Although it being a 30 year old multi-generational property means it has a variety of older fans. While Hasbro has recently done more to cater to that audience, Takara Tomy definitely acknowledges that the property has more of a fanbase than just kids. The company created the Masterpiece, Alternator (and its subsequent NSFW Kiss Players spinoff) and plenty of novelty collaborations with the most recent being Mega Drive Megatron and PlayStation Optimus Prime. Those are all lines with greater complexity, better articulation and detail with prices to match.

Q Transformers is interesting in this respect. I'm not sure Takara Tomy are directly angling this at kids. The entire cross-media franchise is designed as a celebration of both Transformers' 30th Anniversary and Choro-Q's 35th. While plenty of things get rebooted for anniversaries, the theme for both the anime and smartphone game are lifted from a notorious 1986 Transformers video game. The show itself is airing on Tokyo MX at 9:55PM, which is not traditionally a kids timeslot. I'm not sure collectors will go crazy for these kind of ugly simplified Transformers.

GalicianNightmare wrote:
Transformers isn't anime. Only a few Transformers series have been mostly/solely produced in Japan. Design wise, it is Japanese, since the designs predate Transformers and were from Japan, so the name "Convoy" came first, technically, even if it is incorrect for Transformers. Concept, story wise and copyright wise, it is American. Beast Wars has zero Japanese influence and is an American show produced in association with Canadian production houses, making it Canadian-American, due to CANCON. Only some of the older spinoffs from the 80s-90s, the 2000 series and the Unicron trilogy are Japanese. All the rest are US made.

Transformers Animated, Prime and the upcoming Robots in Disguise were/are mostly animated in Japan. The writing staff is from the west, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2