• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Eternal Summer English Dub Casts Ian Sinclair, Jamie Marchi, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
meggu wrote:
Voice Acting 101: Actor's don't cast themselves in a role. Which is why if fans ever have a problem with a dub - casting choices, delivery on some parts, hell, even the script since director has final say on that, too - it doesn't make sense to blame the actor. Complain about the director.

But a lot of fans still do not seem to not understand this, sadly, which sometimes leads to a lot of awkward explaining on the voice actor's part during panels.

I still find it sad that even long time anime fans still don't seem to realize that auditioning exists. And yes, the director more or less has the say in who gets cast, and who even gets to read for which role. That being said, a smart actor will try to audition for as many roles as they can, despite what the powers that be decide is more suited to them.

In regards to Vic Mignogna's ability as a voice actor, it has been proven that has does have a range outside of Edward Elric, and I'm sure he goes into every audition with something different. Say what you want about his personal life, but it really isn't fair to disparage his abilities when directors continually want him for his "Ed" voice.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:

So because of one reviewer saying she thinks the scripts are bad, makes it automatically bad for you? Sorry to disappoint? But I thought the scripts for both shows was actually pretty good.

I think they just wanted to give a good example of why they didn't like it either. I don't always agree with the reviews on ANN (actually I don't agree with most of them). But this one had me nodding through most of it. The script practically changes the personalities of the main characters, along with some other things.but it really is all a matter of opinion.

But hearing that Tatum also directed Ouran and Jewell picking an almost identical main cast (I totally called on Caitlyn Glass being Miho btw) makes me worried on how similar they think the two shows are. I'm sure they'll be professional about it (and by sure I mean hope). But while Ouran is much more comedic and silly (at least in the anime), I feel Free!, while is does has it's comedic and over dramatic moments, tends to be more realistic (especially in season two) and I just hope the script stays that way. Leave the comedy and fanservice to their actions and bodies.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Everything's more dandy with Ian Sinclair. Also, judging by the answer he gave for favorite marine animal, I guess he's a member of Team Sea Slug.

As for Jamie Marchi's answer for favorite muscle on a guy... lewd.
meggu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

I still find it sad that even long time anime fans still don't seem to realize that auditioning exists. And yes, the director more or less has the say in who gets cast, and who even gets to read for which role. That being said, a smart actor will try to audition for as many roles as they can, despite what the powers that be decide is more suited to them.

In regards to Vic Mignogna's ability as a voice actor, it has been proven that has does have a range outside of Edward Elric, and I'm sure he goes into every audition with something different. Say what you want about his personal life, but it really isn't fair to disparage his abilities when directors continually want him for his "Ed" voice.

If I'm not mistaken actors even have a limit on how many roles they audition for? It's not like they can audition for an entire cast. I think the cap is usually 3 roles?

But yes, auditioning always happens. A director may refer an actor to a certain role to audition for, but even then that doesn't guarantee him/her the part. I have a feeling some fans think the director literally picks and chooses what actors feel right for a role without actually having them audition.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Everything's more dandy with Ian Sinclair. Also, judging by the answer he gave for favorite marine animal, I guess he's a member of Team Sea Slug.

And we all know what she will do with that particular muscle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojiOyoyUYC4

Can't wait for to see all the Gou cosplay as Panty fanart. Laughing
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
meggu wrote:
Voice Acting 101: Actor's don't cast themselves in a role. Which is why if fans ever have a problem with a dub - casting choices, delivery on some parts, hell, even the script since director has final say on that, too - it doesn't make sense to blame the actor. Complain about the director.

But a lot of fans still do not seem to not understand this, sadly, which sometimes leads to a lot of awkward explaining on the voice actor's part during panels.

Totally agree.

Also on that last topic, it probably happens a ton more than we realize, Nolan North who can do quite different voices for example, when asked the question, talked about directors asking him specifically for "the Drake voice", not that that's a bad thing, it's a great voice, just like Vic's Ed voice.

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:

And we all know what she will do with that particular muscle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojiOyoyUYC4

Can't wait for to see all the Gou cosplay as Panty fanart. Laughing

LOL, Panty & Stocking was so much fun.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Either Gou + Sousuke or Go + Sosuke; pick one romanization style and stick with it, Funi.

Also, it's not Kazuteru; it's Kazuki. AFAIK the only place it's been spelled Kazuteru is in the fan-edited English wikipedia page. "Kazuki" is by far the more common reading, and IIRC Rin even says his name in the show.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Dandy and Marchi? Damn, I'm getting excited. I hope Greg Ayres doesn't ruin this dub because everything literally everything else about it sounds great.

The people who say Vic Mignogna has no range and can't play deeper voiced characters probably haven't heard much of him outside FMA and Ouran. I mean, have you even watched Bleach or the Broly DBZ Movies? I barely even reconised it was him the first time I watched them.

fencer_x wrote:
Either Gou + Sousuke or Go + Sosuke; pick one romanization style and stick with it, Funi.

Also, it's not Kazuteru; it's Kazuki. AFAIK the only place it's been spelled Kazuteru is in the fan-edited English wikipedia page. "Kazuki" is by far the more common reading, and IIRC Rin even says his name in the show.
People just find ways to get upset about everything don't they?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
meggu wrote:

If I'm not mistaken actors even have a limit on how many roles they audition for? It's not like they can audition for an entire cast. I think the cap is usually 3 roles?

There's no limit. It's just up to director's discretion.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Ian Sinclair! Ian has grown into one of my favorite voice actors as of late. He has a great range. As for the cast as a whole so far, I'm still on the fence about some of the choices like Vic and Todd (I love Todd but I'm still not sure) but I'll wait to see how it goes.
meggu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:59 am Reply with quote
enurtsol, thank you for that clarification.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
People just find ways to get upset about everything don't they?

I would be more understanding of fencer's romanization gripe if "Sosuke" (without 'u') and "Gou" (with 'u') didn't appear in Eternal Summer's TV Animation Guide Book. But it does. So.

Anyway, this is the most anticipated dub for Funimation at the moment. Of course people are going to nitpick it to death.
quaton

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
lazydude500 wrote:
in a reverse harem (sort of)

This show is far from being this, thankfully.
There are no serious romantic developments or even implications and the girl is only a side character at most and thus not relevant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2