• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Parasyte -the maxim-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:
I particularly like the soundtrack, especially the dubstep - it really marks the parasite sequences, makes them stand out as something truly otherworldly. Reminds me a lot of how the second part of JoJo used dubstep for the pillar men action sequences actually. Also, love Fear, and Loathing in Los Vegas whenever they get to do anison.

Dubstep works better in a scenes that involves hulking super vampires who can blasts arm tornados or generate random hand squirrels then in scenes of dialogue (which Parasyte has done).
RosaBatata

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Jesus Christ, the end of episode 5 was the definition of Unheimlichkeit. Scary as hell.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Another fantastic episode from Parasyte. On the one hand I praise the story for having the courage to kill an important character. But on the other hand, I wanted to see more of Shinichi's mother. And the new (female) character seems intriguing enough to be interesting.

I hope my lone candidate for best anime series of the year can keep this awesomeness up.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I can't agree that Shinichi was being a poser. A poser would be the guy who stands around talking smack about how he'd beat up anyone who'd hurt someone who's defenseless, but then turn tail and run when push came to shove. A poser would be the guy who spouts "We should all help our fellow man in times of trouble," and then avert their eyes and keep walking when the chance to help presents itself.

Shinichi didn't have the skills to back up his ideals, but he did have the courage to do so, and that counts for a lot. Would you say he's not a poser if he'd just walked on and not gotten involved just because he didn't have the physical strength to stand up to them?

The thug calling him a poser wasn't right, and he knew it - he was using it as an excuse to allow him to beat up the guy who was shaming him by displaying real courage instead of a pack mentality.

If I'm ever in trouble, I sure hope you're not the only one around to intervene, unless you're Spiderman or something.

Anyway, amazing episode, as usual. Smile
Elves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
Haven't read the source material, but I'm guessing the cliffhanger ending is the very beginning phase that will lead to Shinichi's new hairdo and lack of glasses seen at the end of the opening sequence. Super Shinichi! lol
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:14 am Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
Haven't read the source material, but I'm guessing the cliffhanger ending is the very beginning phase that will lead to Shinichi's new hairdo and lack of glasses seen at the end of the opening sequence. Super Shinichi! lol

He didn't have glasses in the manga. I guess they wanted to make his change more apparent.
Norbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
I felt so sorry for Shinichi at the end of episode 5, but I did yell out "snap out of it!" at him.

After watching the first 5 episodes for the first time tonight I can safely say that this show has suckered me in.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I just caught up to Episode 5 and I just wanted to write that I really appreciate the episode reviews. They do a good job of focusing my thoughts and if this anime takes a lot of emotional fortitude to watch.

Nothing else to add .. I just wonder how Shinichi survives this.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Grade: A

Another strong episode, and the series seems to become more appealing with each episode. It was somewhat abrupt, but the changes Shinichi is going through are very fascinating, and I want to see how his relationships with other humans might change.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 review is another solid review by Nick.

One thing perhaps he neglected is how Migi is changing. Is it possible that even as Shinichi is becoming less emotional that Migi is becoming more so? It seems clear that Migi realized at some point that he had to start factoring Shinichi's feelings into his calculations and not just because they nearly died from Shinichi being stunned.

I suspect we will see more of that.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I am also enjoying this anime, and despite the original manga being so old (25 years old?) the language and way they talk and interact doesn't feel old-school, although I don't know how much it's from the original manga and how much from the adaptation.

The only issue I have with the show (and not, it's not the music, it doesn't distract me personally) is that it's not very skillful al bringing up situations: the mother conveniently dying or the girl who can sense Shinichi's nature in the previous episode, the highschool girl in this one being both on the plane and in the inn in this one... it feels a little contrived and forced. I don't mind that much because that's every work of fiction, just linking up situations as you can, and it usually makes a really good use with those situations in both story and characters so it's done with reasons (something will probably be done also with that new highschool girl aside of having some conversation with the main character), but just commenting.

P.S.: RIP anime-only glasses.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
I am also enjoying this anime, and despite the original manga being so old (25 years old?) the language and way they talk and interact doesn't feel old-school, although I don't know how much it's from the original manga and how much from the adaptation.

I wasn't aware that the source was that old, but if it was the story would certainly not include smartphones or Internet access which have shown pretty prominently.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Man, Shinichi gets sexier the less human he gets. Embarassed

I wonder if that's a purposeful decision by Migi (he's a better "animal" and more interesting to observe if Shinichi can get laid), or just a side-effect of merging with the aliens making him more "superhuman".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Naah, I don't think so. Migi's first priority was spoiler[to save Shinichi's life, the superpowers (and buffed up bod) are a lucky side effect of Migi's cells spreading throughout his bloodstream.] That said, Migi's all for Shinichi getting lucky, and his potential mates seem to increase every episode... If he weren't out for *rage filled vengeance*, he'd be quite the ladies' man.

The anime is doing an amazing job of bringing the story up to date. It's not as good at including little details from the manga that tie together the coincidences to make them less so. For example, in the manga spoiler[the police are under the impression that Nobuko tried to kill Shinichi's dad, which explains why they think he's in denial and are quick to dismiss him. And Shinichi helps out Makiko on the boat, which makes her interest in him seem more natural]
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
justsomeaccount wrote:

I wasn't aware that the source was that old, but if it was the story would certainly not include smartphones or Internet access which have shown pretty prominently.

1990 (Wikipedia don't read further than first paragraph) actually. I think they purposely updated it with smartphones and such so it wouldn't seem outdated. I think they've done a pretty good job of integrating modern details so far.

justsomeaccount wrote:
The only issue I have with the show (and not, it's not the music, it doesn't distract me personally) is that it's not very skillful al bringing up situations: the mother conveniently dying or the girl who can sense Shinichi's nature in the previous episode, the highschool girl in this one being both on the plane and in the inn in this one... it feels a little contrived and forced.
Its been a long time since I read the manga, but if I recall correctly the issue with the mother was handled the same and did seem a little convenient. However, if you think of it like a random accident or random act of violence it might help. There was a little more to the girl that he met going to the beach (I want to say she was in middle school in the manga) in the manga that they cut out here and him meeting her felt more like genuine coincidence than convenience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 19