• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rage of Bahamut Genesis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pipoko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I like how despite being so fast-paced, the series still manages to keep weight to stuff, it doesn't feel rushed.
bobob101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
...And that little show that no one was paying any attention to grew up into a big Bahamut. His ratings were high and so were the Blu-Ray sales. And they all watched happily ever after.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Pipoko wrote:
I like how despite being so fast-paced, the series still manages to keep weight to stuff, it doesn't feel rushed.

Yeah.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
An excellent show this season, I have yet to be disappointed thus far.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I got the distinct impression that Rita was controlling the spoiler[zombie crab, who had been killed by Amira.] Was I just imagining that?

Either way, I loved the spoiler[Creatures from the Black Lagoon vs Zombies] melee battle. Very Happy
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I got the distinct impression that Rita was controlling the spoiler[zombie crab, who had been killed by Amira.] Was I just imagining that?

I'm pretty sure she has to actually turn things into zombies while they're still alive, not just reanimate them once they're dead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
You're probably right. But that staff she was using seemed to have other powers, so that's kind of why I was thinking that.
jeffinitelyjeff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else getting a Piedmon/Dark Masters vibe from Azazel and the alternate dimension? (group of villains sitting around in a dark place watching the heroes, main dude drinking wine on a throne)

Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Fantastically fun ride of a series and Hellsing Ultimate {to draw a name out of a banner ad} could have learned a lot about how to do badass spectacle: Have the situation and violence and plot dwarf the protagonists rather than the other way.

Quote:
Favaro gets over his reticence in rescuing Kaisar and working with Rita remarkably quickly. The episode points this out as a joke, and while it isn't inconsistent with Favaro's wacky, impulsive personality, it still wasn't explored enough to be completely believable. These dudes have a long and painful history together.

There's always something with these reviews; Ok, all bad feelings from their past relation {friends from different social classes and all} are from Kaisar and there's no reason Favaro would be unwilling to help him- except for the fact that he is Favaro {Who's a good example, ah Gokudo; If you're on fire, he'd probably urinate on you but that's only probably.}

Gokudo, yeah, certainly some parallels... Awesome series, needs a rescue.

Favaro, yeah, jerk who's deep down a really big jerk. But he's the hero by the fact Kaisar's not qualified because of his "kill first, ask questions later" revenge fix. But even with Favaro being Favaro, he still wants to see Kaisar as his friend. At a distance, far far away...
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
If anyone compares Bahamut to any other anime based on a 'children's' playing card game, I'm gonna cyber-kick them in the face. Don't even bother making such an easy comparison, because everyone can see the difference already. Don't be lazy when saying how great this show is.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Another really strong episode. I still enjoy how it has pretty quick pace, but still manages to keep the impact. I actually really liked that it got the kidnapping stuff out of the way in one episode; in particular that that bit didn't feel unnatural in pacing, also how well it incorprorates small bits of character development/plot during the roller coaster. Just continues to be a really great series that everyone should check out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
I'm pretty sure she has to actually turn things into zombies while they're still alive, not just reanimate them once they're dead.

So did this episode just show that's not so? It looked to me like she got the dragon from the one that nearly fell on them, and it seemed pretty dead. Or was it just some other random dying dragon that I missed? Smile

As for the review, not only did it not seem like Kaisar too easily started working with Favaro, but to me it took him too long. There's revenge lust and then there's suicide, and given the situation they were in, putting the former first is tantamount to the latter.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
This show is just so good
jeffinitelyjeff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
==[ Episode 5 ]==

Crazy episode, and another enjoyable review.

---

Couple minor typos/mistakes:

- Extra "like": "None of this felt like dull, any more than last week's backstory-building did"
- Double Favaro (wouldn't mind if the story went this direction): "When Bacchus told Favaro and Rita where to go to rescue Favaro..."

---

I totally agree about Favaro's change of heart in rescuing them seeming way too abrupt. He would prefer Kaisar stay captured, has no emotional attachment to Rita and her desire to save Kaisar, and only just accepted that maybe he shouldn't murder Amira. The only reasoning I could infer is that he has a minor emotional attachment to Amira built up by now, which he probably denies and tells himself that he just needs her to remove his tail. But I'm inferring all that, and there wasn't direct evidence for any of that in the text itself. Unless I missed something (totally possible), it just cut from a scene with Favaro explaining he has no reason to help to a scene of him threatening Bacchus and giving up his bounty hunter bracelet (and willing to risk his life). Felt extremely jarring.

I don't quite agree with the prediction that the show will be in trouble if it doesn't slow down, though. Given the level of confidence in world building shown so far (and the vast array of conflicting entities), my gut feeling is this pace could be maintained without running dry.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Like pretty much everyone else here, I was so pleasantly surprised by how genuinely good this was! Like, not even just "good for an adaptation of a card game," but simply good in general terms. I think I like pretty much all the characters, which is the first time in a while that I've felt that way about an anime. No whiny and introverted protagonist who constantly rambles on about justice! And I can't even remember the last time an anime's humor was actually funny and didn't fall flat for me. Yeah, all of that slapstick and goofy fanservice is really top notch you guys. Not only that, but it also has the best kind of fanservice: subtle but effective, and it doesn't get in the way of the conflict. Overall the story so far is just really interesting, even if I don't know what exactly the story is (or what it's leading to anyway). But that's part of the fun.

Honestly, the trailer looked great but I've learned from past experiences to try not to get too hyped about things based on trailers. But this delivered. It delivered so freaking well. And that animation, I don't even need to describe how godly it is. The music is perfectly understated in that it never blares over the action, the OST tends to blend in with the action on screen very well. There are many other anime out there that have great soundtracks, but they also don't seem to be integrated into the show itself all that well. Also the OP is awesome. And I don't even like metal that much. It's way more refreshing than another factory made J-Pop tune. Can't wait for the nest episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6