• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Manga Readers Recount Series That Made Them Cry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
The Merry scene in One Piece got me too.
Robin's "I want to live" was powerfull too.

I cried when spoiler[Natsumi died] in Video Girl Ai.

But what gets me everytime is spoiler[the puppet Francine learning to smile while she is dying] in Karakuri Circus vol. 25.
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Ai Yazawa's manga can be pretty emotional so I'm not surprised.

But, The Heart of Thomas by Moto Hagio has made me cry over several parts multiple times. I first read it 9 years ago and it still will get to me every time.

The last volume of Flower of Life by Fumi Yoshinaga made me cry as well because of a scene that explains the title.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Alchemist, Sailor Moon, and Naruto have all made me cry.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Lots of series have made me cry, though I don't normally consider myself a bleeding heart Razz

• MARS - final volume spoiler[when Tetsuya finds Rei and later when Kira is in the hospital and begging Sei not to take Rei from her]
  • Fruits Basket - too many times to count
  • Chibi Vampire - so much crying at the end spoiler[when her family wipes her memory]
  • Chrono Crusade - ending, yep
  • Rave Master - way too many times to count as well, but particularly spoiler[Seig and Reina's death and Elie having to "kill" Haru]
  • Sensual Phrase - when Aine spoiler[tries to kill herself] and when spoiler[Hitoshi dies]
  • Tokyo Mew Mew - whole ending bit

Pretty much all of Arina Tanemura's and Yu Watase's stuff manages to wring copious tears as well.
Ph0esz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru no Go spoiler[when Sai disappears and Hikaru desperately searches for him] and spoiler[later when Izumi confonts Hikaru about not wanting to play go anymore]. No matter how many times I re-read it, I still spend those few volumes crying.

Aside from that, definitely Cat Street and Fruits Basket.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna say it's Doraemon.
The scene in vol.6 is really the one that hit me deep. (And it's also one scene which is adapted in the movie - so I'm gonna cry buckets again when the movie is available in my country). Also, several from "Nobita's Adventure" (which were originally featured films). They are really, really filled with tears.

Unlike anime or live action, drawings or writings alone are usually not strong enough to evoke emotions. With hearing aid (e.g good voice acting, fitting BGM etc) people are more likely to be drawn into deep emotions, so I usually cry more when watching than reading. But again, this list showed a great example that a mere manga can make people cry bawling too. Kudos for the mangaka with great storytelling!
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Pita Ten and Hibiki's Magic so for.
Miss Hachiko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I really do have a huge attachment to NANA.
Seeing the source, I really had to agree with how spoiler[Ren died after his car accident ].
It was surprising, and it broke my heart so much.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
Pandora Hearts has been getting to me a lot Crying or Very sad

I really need to read One Piece one day.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
There have been a few anime series that made me cry, but the only manga series that had the same affect was Chrono Crusade. That ending was even more heart breaking than the show's.
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
Things in anime and manga that made me cry: Pretty much everything about spoiler[Nina] from Fullmetal Alchemist. Anyone who has read/watched FMA knows the reason for this being one of the saddest things in all of fiction is self explanatory. spoiler[Mu La Flaga's death] and spoiler[The parts of the ending of the first season where it makes you think that Kira, Athrun and Cagalli are dead] from Gundam SEED. spoiler[I mean really, Mu was my favorite character and he got disintegrated in one of the most gruesome ways possible. Tears were flowing hard.] spoiler[Bye Bye Butterfree, Pikachu's Goodbye and Ash/Satoshi getting turned to stone in the first movie] from Pokémon. Every time I rewatch old episodes of Pokémon, I have to skip spoiler[Bye Bye Butterfree and Pikachu's Goodbye] because they make me cry every freaking time. Even just seeing clips from those episodes made me cry when I was watching a Pokémon top 10 list on Youtube. spoiler[Chopper's backstory] from One Piece made me tear up a little, but then they kept flashing back to it OVER AND OVER AGAIN and that really took away any emotional impact it had because they wanted to show the same thing like 5 times instead of getting back to the story. spoiler[The season 2 finale and the episode where Giroro almost leaves] from Keroro Gunsou also made me tear up a little but the impact was softened quite a bit because the series is so funny I just kept laughing and I knew everything would be back to normal in the next episodes because they have to maintain Status Quo. I'm sure that there are other things that made me cry in manga/anime, but honestly, nobody has perfect memory so we're all bound to forget things.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:43 am Reply with quote
The mostly widely watched shows/manga won. Surprise. I expected EVA to win. Seriously a toy ship being laid to rest is more moving then the true life story of Grave of the Fireflies (not a series i know) or Barefoot Gen ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The mostly widely watched shows/manga won. Surprise. I expected EVA to win. Seriously a toy ship being laid to rest is more moving then the true life story of Grave of the Fireflies (not a series i know) or Barefoot Gen ?

Okay well this shows that Eiichiro Oda is a masterful writer that he is able to have the readers feel such heartbreak over the death of the Merry Go or as you call it a "toy ship".
DCR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Grave of Fireflies is not a manga.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Really, it's WAY easier to count series that DID NOT make me cry.... Rolling Eyes

Full Moon Wo Sagashite, Gakuen Alice, and Pita-Ten though...those were the winners.

Shounen manga normally doesn't though. I think the only one that I shed tears for was Sumomomo momomo when Momoko spoiler[thought Koushi was dead] Her monologue is heart-breaking and she's saying it in her head in the middle of a battle no less, with tears pouring down her face.

*glances at shelf*

.........come to think of it, I don't have a lot of shounen manga in the first place. lol Ah, I definitely cried during Kodomo No Jikan but that's seinen. Anyone who thinks that's just funny lolicon fanservice is dead wrong. KNJ got VERY heavy sometimes.... Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3