• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Akame ga KILL!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Dude, do you ever just let anything go or gracefully agree to disagree or even flipping edit yourself? Every time you get involved with a thread it ends up being TEXT FOREVER any most everybody else just wants nothing to do with it or turns out to need to eat or sleep, thus precluding wanting to deal with you. I don't know if you thrive on conflict to a psychotic degree or whatever, but you're basically drowning discussion for the rest of the world and turning every thread you're involved with into a superfund cleanup site.

As for Akama ga KILL!, it seems like a pretty nasty, joyless show. It might have jokes, but jokes can be pretty joyless. And joyless isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it seems like it's an unpleasantly exploitative joylessness borne of surrendering any real perspective or insight for an artlessly grotesque parody of OMFG DARK MAN (Directed by Sam Raimi). One or another, this thread has made me glad that I stayed away.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PachiPortrait

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I certainly agree with you that art isn't math. And really, the only reason I am arguing against you to this extent is because you took such an absolutist position on Akame ga Kill!'s supposed anti-gay stance, but you are giving such huge wiggle room to Kill la Kill. I don't think that is fair.

If you bothered to fully grasp her comparison, you'd find she was being quite fair, giving both series the benefit of the doubt and analyzing those particular jokes justly.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
*uncomfortably long description of anal thrust scene*

It's obvious what you're trying to do. You're trying to *shock* us with your interpretation of the KLK scene. Meanwhile, you describe the situation in AgK in the simplest of terms and don't expunge on how it paints a picture against the series as a whole. Who exactly is being unfair here?

You also keep bringing the discussion back to Bulat as a character, which is 100% not even close to what this is about. At all.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Dude, do you ever just let anything go or gracefully agree to disagree or even flipping edit yourself? Every time you get involved with a thread it ends up being TEXT FOREVER any most everybody else just wants nothing to do with it or turns out to need to eat or sleep, thus precluding wanting to deal with you. I don't know if you thrive on conflict to a psychotic degree or whatever, but you're basically drowning discussion for the rest of the world and turning every thread you're involved with into a superfund cleanup site.

It takes two to tango my friend. I stand by my positions and i'm not afraid to argue them just as much as anyone else. But thank you for the silly personal attacks. At least we know you understand how to address a point and not just engage in ad hominem. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PachiPortrait wrote:

It's obvious what you're trying to do. You're trying to *shock* us with your interpretation of the KLK scene. Meanwhile, you describe the situation in AgK in the simplest of terms and don't expunge on how it paints a picture against the series as a whole. Who exactly is being unfair here?

No, I am quite literally describing exactly what happened in each example, as closely as I possibly can. This simply illustrates the clarity of my point.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

For example, I'm going to link an actual video of the scene from Kill la Kill, since I think that gif that I posted before doesn't even fully capture the tone of the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3saGPeSp5ro

Okay, you're right on that count. Honestly, I didn't remember the scene either, and didn't look it up when I saw you referencing it, I just went by my vague memory and the gif. So, it's worse than I described it because I wasn't remembering it correctly. My bad.

Regardless, this still doesn't affect the main point I was making which is "you can't police the opinions of others by comparing incomparable works against each other and saying that if you like one, you have to like another," etc. Particularly because I'm not excusing the tasteless jokes in either work, but you are. Both shows have inappropriate jokes in them. In both cases, I don't excuse the material, I just happen to like one of those shows in spite of it, but not the other.

The whole fooforah started, however, because you and some other people in the thread were demanding that dissenters acknowledge the vile content in Akame ga Kill as actually progressive and smart and commentative or whatever, or else be condemned as stuffy biased critics who didn't get it. And that's silly. (No matter how many times you describe and re-describe it, the thing with Bulat is "make gay panic jokes for two episodes, stop making them, then give him some sympathetic character traits one episode before killing him, the end." It's just bad writing, nothing more nothing less.)

The only reason I was even comparing the two instances is because you were extremely adamant about it being done. I prefaced and epilogued the comparison with "There is no valid point in doing this, I'm just humoring you because you keep pushing the issue," and that's still how I feel about it. Bringing up Kill La Kill was irrelevant several pages ago, and it's still irrelevant now. Akame ga Kill! is real gross and people probably shouldn't call it thought-provoking or progressive because that makes them seem real gross, especially if they use it to personally attack dissenting writers, which, you're right, you personally were not doing, but a lot of other people were.

I don't think there's anything else I have to say about it, this is gettin' real dumb. I think I'm done.

Last edited by JacobC on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
None of you can watch a show for what it is anymore. The trivial spinning is so damn sad. Soapboxing even though its against the rules. Rolling Eyes
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Okay, you're right on that count. Honestly, I didn't remember the scene either, and didn't look it up when I saw you referencing it, I just went by my vague memory and the gif. So, it's worse than I described it because I wasn't remembering it correctly. My bad.

Thanks. To be honest, like I said I didn't even remember exactly how it played out, I just remembered that it was bad. So I shouldn't blame you in that regard.

Quote:

Regardless, this still doesn't affect the main point I was making which is "you can't police the opinions of others by comparing incomparable works against each other and saying that if you like one, you have to like another," etc. Particularly because I'm not excusing the tasteless jokes in either work, but you are. Both shows have inappropriate jokes in them. In both cases, I don't excuse the material, I just happen to like one of those shows in spite of it, but not the other.

Point taken. And I am not really trying to police thoughts. I'm trying my best to argue this point, and yes I acknowledge that it is a highly subjective point to argue. Yes, I am willing to agree that the way Tatsumi reacted to Bulat initially was discriminatory. I don't hide from that. I just feel like the show elevated both characters far beyond that. The second scene with the villain and Wave is still a question mark. Maybe it will be a detracting point for the show, but I still feel strongly that the Tatsumi/Bulat relationship arc was handled in an extremely positive way.

Quote:

The whole fooforah started, however, because you and some other people in the thread were demanding that dissenters acknowledge the vile content in Akame ga Kill as actually progressive and smart and commentative or whatever, or else be condemned as stuffy biased critics who didn't get it. And that's silly. (No matter how many times you describe and re-describe it, the thing with Bulat is "make gay panic jokes for two episodes, stop making them, then give him some sympathetic character traits one episode before killing him, the end." It's just bad writing, nothing more nothing less.)
We will agree to disagree. I've already explained many times that I think the progressive aspect was the evolution of the relationship, not the initial reaction.
phoenix72

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Joke(s) in Akame ga Kill: Male veteran in combat unit (good or bad) flirts with new male recruit. Cut to shot of new recruit freaking out.

Tonal Context: Mostly expositional, just a little lighthearted/comedic, framed so that we are meant to sympathize with the new recruit in both cases, and how insane and abnormal all his new fellow soldiers are.

Implication/why it is meant to be funny: Gay people are weird, effeminate, and slightly threatening because they (apparently) flirt with members of the same sex. (This is not true of course, and stems from a very obvious male fear of being treated the way they treat women.) Still, in context, the new recruit is framed as being completely justified in his discomfort. We feel bad for him being put in such an awkward situation. That guy really is weird and off-putting! (For flirting with another man.)

Is it offensive?: Oh my god, yes. Oooooh my gooooood, yes. YES. YES IT IS.

i was originally not going to jump in to this but i feel the need. ok so in regards to the intro scenes to Bulat and Stylish i have an actual example from my life that can back up Tatsumi and waves' reactions (at the very least it supports Waves') in middle school i only had one best friend we hung out all the time in and out of school and at some point he felt the need to start asking some strange questions (i now know that he was trying to get an handle on his sexual orientation and he was using me as a baseline) i found it really strange. regardless we stopped hanging out both in school and out (100% sure that the questions had nothing to do with the reason. the reason being that i got into anime and became a shut in marathoning everything that caught my eye http://myanimelist.net/animelist/phoenix7240 http://www.mangaupdates.com/mylist.html?id=184743&list=read). anyway in my second year of highschool we started hanging out again. at some point he felt the need to tell me he was gay and he used to have a crush on me. my reaction mirrored Wave's with the added thoughts of "oh! the questions make sense now". BTW we are still good friends.

my point is being straight and knowing that a guy is or was into you is kinda unnerving, and alot of times you dont know how to properly respond so you jerk back and go well now what how do i deal with this.

my solution was to treat him the same as always. it's not as if he suddenly was a different person.

yes the joke was bad in a everything must be politically correct sort of way. but whatever its fiction. i watch anime and read manga to escape reality. the show isnt progressive at least not it the way some of you are saying it is.

Last edited by phoenix72 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
If I think that Kill la Kill and Akame ga Kill are both offensive, mindless schlock, do I get some kind of special sticker or something?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Jayhosh wrote:
Akeme strives to be accepted as mature entertainment.

I keep on seeing this kind of comment, but I see absolutely no evidence of it from the show itself. I don't believe the makers of this show think they are making "mature entertainment" anymore than the makers of JoJo do. People, let me repeat myself: juxtaposing goofy humour with gore and serious stuff is not an attempt to be seen as being "mature entertainment." Jesus, this kind of thing has been going on since the dawn of anime. Anime has a different entertainment tradition than a lot of Western entertainment. In the West it is relatively rare to mix goofy humour with grimness. It isn't in anime. Look, it's cool if people don't like this show but can we please dispense with the notion that the makers are striving for some kind of "mature entertainment" because it's kind of braindead.

But that's such a prevalent example people provide what makes anime "mature." Smile

Redcrimson wrote:

If I think that Kill la Kill and Akame ga Kill are both offensive, mindless schlock, do I get some kind of special sticker or something?

Ya get to hang out with Tarantino. Cool
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
None of you can watch a show for what it is anymore. The trivial spinning is so damn sad. Soapboxing even though its against the rules. Rolling Eyes

It's okay to soapbox if you're somehow furthering some Social Justice crusade. Confused
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
I am up to date with the manga and the anime and my feelings about the series are close to what Blood- wrote in his post preceding mine.

I am quite confused about the fact that in addition of one poster, even Chapman, who I consider to be more intelligent than an average reviewer, claims that the show is outright hateful towards women. Of course, the female characters fit well to the tropes that are common in otaku media (especially eroge, as the writer of the manga has a lot of experience in that genre), but where is the actual hate?

I have more arguments of why I don't think Akame ga Kill! is a misogynistic show, but I don't have time now to write them all down. Rather, first I would like to see some evidence of the contrary opinion.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:37 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
As for Akama ga KILL!, it seems like a pretty nasty, joyless show. It might have jokes, but jokes can be pretty joyless. And joyless isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it seems like it's an unpleasantly exploitative joylessness borne of surrendering any real perspective or insight for an artlessly grotesque parody of OMFG DARK MAN (Directed by Sam Raimi). One or another, this thread has made me glad that I stayed away.

I can never understand the inclination to make detailed and specific condemnations (or praise for that matter) of a show without actually watching some of it yourself. Given your bias, no doubt watching some of it would simply confirm your preconceptions, but at least you wouldn't be writing from a place of ignorance.

Mr. Nescio wrote:
I have more arguments of why I don't think Akame ga Kill! is a misogynistic show, but I don't have time now to write them all down. Rather, first I would like to see some evidence of the contrary opinion.

This one makes me scratch my head, as well. Anime's portrayal of women is, sadly, often retrograde (ditto its treatment of gay characters) but I haven't seen any indication that AgK is a particularly egregious offender. I don't want to reopen the comparison controversy, but I find female representation in the JoJo franchise (one of my favourite shows of all time) to be far more cringe-worthy (in the rare moments that a female character is actually around).
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
I am not watching this show, yet, but I may marathon it later. I am posting to nitpick the review and, in short, be a grammar Nazi.
Matt Packard wrote:
On a journey to the capitol with hopes to join the army and make a name for himself, Tatsumi finds that the entire city is full of evil politicians who oppress the poor and make ghastly examples of those who oppose them.

The word capitol refers to a building or group of buildings where a government makes laws and carries out the act of governing. It does not refer to the city where those buildings are built. That word is capital. (See the third set of definitions, noun, definition number 3...) So, unless the character was on a journey specifically to the building or set of buildings in the capital that are called the capitol building(s), this is wrong. (The later comment about finding an entire city full of evil politicians indicates that the reference is to the city, not the buildings.)

Examples:
"Washington D.C. is the capital of the United States."
"While visiting Washington D.C. one may tour the U.S. Capitol building, where congress meets to make laws."

Sure, it is a small point, but when it is in the first paragraph of the review it starts the reader off on a sour note. It leaves the impression that either the author or the editors, or both, are not really on the ball and doesn't lead one to weigh the opinions expressed in the review very heavily. (This is not a conscious decision, but a gut reaction to the grammatical error. The more issues of that sort the reader spots, the lower the review falls in terms of credibility. Just the nature of the beast.)
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Just the nature of the beast.
That's not a sentence.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 30