• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
Is this AnimeKnight guy for real? I can't tell whether he's honest and genuine or just trolling around. Regardless, he's got an agenda to spread around as much misinformation as possible to support his standpoint.

Because apparently Free!'s audience is mainly filled with an anti-moe brigade who just want to see moe fanservice burn. And despite the numbers proving him wrong, there's no way Free! is selling enough to justify a second season.

EDIT: Also, total disc sales comparison can't really be done between Clannad and Free! at this point, since Clannad has 5 years on Free!

Also, it looks like there's a possibility that a licensing announcement may be coming in this AX (if Funi's licensing of season 2 is any indication).

Last edited by Crisha on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
Alright, since you didn't take the hint last time:

AnimeKnight2034, this thread is not about your personal crusade against the series Free!. You have already spent several pages arguing with people about sales figures and the "real reason" people watch the show, which has nothing to do with the Summer Preview Guide.

Stop arguing about this and get back on topic or bans will be handed out. Enough.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:

And you guys are only using preorder numbers.

No we're not. These are the official sales data that Oricon provides

Quote:
1. Fujoshi demographic series tend to sell mostly DVDs. Therefore they need more sales overall to make the same amount of money.

Shows like Free!, KuroBas, T&B and UtaPri have had equal sales for BD and DVD

Quote:

2. Clannad sold really well after it got good word of mouth and didn't do that great initially. You're warping the figures to prove your biased viewpoints. Look up any objective figures.

And it's still averaging 24K, so still lower than Free. No one's warping any figures, those are the numbers.

Quote:

3. Clannad sold really well in foreign (outside of Japan) markets. Those aren't being counted. Free S1, if it is so amazing, why hasn't it been licensed???

Japanese companies don't particularly care about foreign markets, the sales in other countries out of Japan are mostly insignificant since most of that money goes to the licensor. Also, Free S2 has just been licensed by Funi, the chances that S1 gets licensed very soon are extremely high, so your argument is moot anyway

EDIT: Sorry, Zac, didn't see your post. I'll agree to leave it there and go back on topic, since today's shows have already started airing
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Argevollen:First episode was decent.The political conflict seems intriguing and what I like is that show takes a neutral position to it.It is also quite clear that the show is referencing conflict between America and Iraq. Main character is sort of throwback to old spunky male leads,which is refreshing since every character now seems to be bland "good" guy.Female characters are independent and strong and I think they will have good development.
The entire show is aiming to be realistic , in that most of mechas appear very ugly,slow and mechanical.Military veterans act professionally,battles are fought on small scale but they are bloody and gruesome.Which is why I think the whole spoiler["mysterious super mecha"] was stupid,but that is like a requirement nowadays for any mecha anime.This is as realistic as it can get I suppose.
The only reason why I might drop this show is because it looks hideous.I think this show had like 5 ADs on first episode,which explains the inconsistent art and nonexistent animation.It even looked some of storyboards weren't finished?Moreover,it also suffers from weird censoring where it is okay to show blood but not the face of victim?
Good episode , but I remain skeptical.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
So Tokyo Ghoul so far, based off the first episode, is what would happen if Deadman Wonderland and Hellsing had a baby.

And if you don't think that warrants watching the first episode, at least, I don't think we can be friends. Neutral
king 47

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Argevollen: Had too much CGI and it felt out of place, the characters and theme felt too generic.

Glasslip: It was fun and the music was good. It had a little too much still images, but not to an annoying level.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the show so far that aired, Tokyo Ghoul stood out. I hope it will continue to deliver.

Also, the other gem to look out for is Glasslip. Can't wait to see a review on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Ah, another season, another unfortunate case of idiots in preview threads insulting others for their opinions. Sad

People, there's a really simple way to not get angry about show you don't like.

Don't watch them.
BluExocet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
So Tokyo Ghoul so far, based off the first episode, is what would happen if Deadman Wonderland and Hellsing had a baby.

And if you don't think that warrants watching the first episode, at least, I don't think we can be friends. Neutral

I like where this is going.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:
I'm sure there are some people that like Free legitimately, but a huge portion of the fan base is people watching it out of some anti-moe agenda. They're not going to support the show financially and if other studios follow suit and abandon moe (which fans actually support) for this type of stuff (which they don't) we're going to have a problem... Pretty basic to understand.

This is based on literally zero evidence and is proven wrong by a ton of actual evidence to the contrary. At best it's delusional, at worst it's horribly sexist and we don't appreciate blatant sexism here. Knock it off.
That's not being really sexist . That's more like being dick
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Its funny cause it was Glasslip today that I found to be the typical by the numbers one with not a lot of interest going on while Argevollen actually exceeded my expectations for it a bit and looks like it's going to have a lot going on in the coming episodes. Probably just a matter of my preferring the military/mecha genre to laid back kind of pretentious daily life in a seaside town shows. I hope Argevollen keeps up the military feel to it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
So I caved and watched Free!. Did anyone else notice that the show started out exactly the same way as the first ep last year? Haru in the tub, Makoto coming over to pick him up, walking in on him, grabbing his hand to help him up (hoping to see a full picture maybe?), getting slightly disappointed that Haru's wearing his swimsuit...Laughing Yup, Free! is the same old, same old of beautifully animated, campy, fanservice filled, boys-in-speedos fun. It never takes itself too seriously and has a good sense of humor (best scene: the look on the female students' faces when the boys present themselves on stage). The fanservice can get a bit much, though (Rei has a way of getting into speedo bikinis against his will). I think I might watch it this year, just to screw over the moe brigade! Die, moe, die! Razz
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I wish the summary Showcase was posted first then the reviews. I love to know whats coming now with a bit of an explain Wink

Sure i could go to upcoming anime list but its all but the presentation!
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Just noticed: The survey link for Tokyo Ghoul leads to the Argevollen survey.

[EDIT: Thanks for pointing this out. It's been corrected. - Key]
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
So I caved and watched Free!. Did anyone else notice that the show started out exactly the same way as the first ep last year? Haru in the tub, Makoto coming over to pick him up, walking in on him, grabbing his hand to help him up (hoping to see a full picture maybe?), getting slightly disappointed that Haru's wearing his swimsuit...Laughing Yup, Free! is the same old, same old of beautifully animated, campy, fanservice filled, boys-in-speedos fun. It never takes itself too seriously and has a good sense of humor (best scene: the look on the female students' faces when the boys present themselves on stage). The fanservice can get a bit much, though (Rei has a way of getting into speedo bikinis against his will). I think I might watch it this year, just to screw over the moe brigade! Die, moe, die! Razz

What.

Free is just a moe show for girls with male main characters. You can't really "screw over the moe brigade" by watching...a moe show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 51