• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Attack on Titan's Levi Fights Dust In Figma Form

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
It's beautiful.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
At this point they might as well make an entire spin-off series dedicated to Levi cleaning things (it's what the fans want!!!!)
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
This will be mine.......... But maybe in November since I don't want to fight the crowds at WonFes. ^^;
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:
At this point they might as well make an entire spin-off series dedicated to Levi cleaning things (it's what the fans want!!!!)

How about a Levi vs Takasu Ryuuji dust fighting game?
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:

I would buy that lol (though I would prefer they release a print version of Sungeki no Kyoujin first to be honest)
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Why did I just have flashbacks of Ultimate Mop Daisuke? Wink
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
The fujoshi in me is quite pleased with this announcement.

Moar, I say, Moar.
Mr_42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I realise I'm about to kick a Hornet's nest right into my own face then rub salt into the wounds but....

I don't get why fans of AoT are so obsessed by Levi's Character, i.e.

Cutiebunny wrote:
Moar, I say, Moar.

Knight-Hart wrote:
It's beautiful.

or, in my opinion, his lack of one. What real depth does Levi have as a character that makes him such an attractive persona? To be brutally honest he's really boring. I mean, when you need to write an entire spin-off series in order to give one of your most, if not THE most, famous character of your series history the the writer is clearly doing something wrong. The most development he has got in the anime thus-far is that he is a badass who has a penchant for cleaning. That's literally it! The character I would compare him to would be Roronoa Zoro/Zolo (chose your poison) from the ever popular One Piece if Zoro had no back-story. At least Eren and Mikasa have some history and thus some preexisting personality to compare against their current emotional state.

So if someone can explain his magnetism to me I would be grateful because I want to love AoT. I really do. It looks gorgeous and I love the action scenes! But I can't help but see shoddy character development and less than stellar plot progress.

unitmikey wrote:

I would not be suprised. The AoT franchise already has 3 manga spin-off series, 1 anime spin-off and a £50 collectors edition. And That's just in english!!!!!! Shocked
At the same time Air Gear, a series with infinitely better art (a fact) and an arguably better story (my opinon), has had volumes go out of print before the series is completely released!
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
Mr_42 wrote:
So if someone can explain his magnetism to me I would be grateful because I want to love AoT.

He's not Eren. That's about all the justification I need. I don't like Eren's character. Little too whiny for my tastes.

But to address your valid point, yeah, personality-wise, Levi's a dime-a-dozen. So is pretty much every male in every franchise where they're either aiming their product solely at the fujoshi/fudanshi fanbase or creating characters in an otherwise shounen series solely to tap that market. Most anime that are geared towards this market have the same cookie-cutter personalities that are repackaged into different male bodies. For example, Saito from Hakuouki could easily be Masato from UtaPri.

I'd like to think that most of us recognize this. I'm sure there are some fans out there that are so dedicated to a particular character that they can't accept this and would call it blasphemy, though.
DaftPhunk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
Mr_42 wrote:
I realise I'm about to kick a Hornet's nest right into my own face then rub salt into the wounds but....

I don't get why fans of AoT are so obsessed by Levi's Character, i.e.

Cutiebunny wrote:
Moar, I say, Moar.

Knight-Hart wrote:
It's beautiful.

or, in my opinion, his lack of one. What real depth does Levi have as a character that makes him such an attractive persona? To be brutally honest he's really boring. I mean, when you need to write an entire spin-off series in order to give one of your most, if not THE most, famous character of your series history the the writer is clearly doing something wrong. The most development he has got in the anime thus-far is that he is a badass who has a penchant for cleaning. That's literally it! The character I would compare him to would be Roronoa Zoro/Zolo (chose your poison) from the ever popular One Piece if Zoro had no back-story. At least Eren and Mikasa have some history and thus some preexisting personality to compare against their current emotional state.

So if someone can explain his magnetism to me I would be grateful because I want to love AoT. I really do. It looks gorgeous and I love the action scenes! But I can't help but see shoddy character development and less than stellar plot progress.

unitmikey wrote:

I would not be suprised. The AoT franchise already has 3 manga spin-off series, 1 anime spin-off and a £50 collectors edition. And That's just in english!!!!!! Shocked
At the same time Air Gear, a series with infinitely better art (a fact) and an arguably better story (my opinon), has had volumes go out of print before the series is completely released!

I was honestly very ready to dislike Levi myself since I knew about his large following and even found it greatly annoying before I got into AoT. But I was pleasantly surprised at how much I appreciated him. I was expecting a typical stone-cold heartless "bad ass" but I guess it's his quirks that compliment that facade and make him seem a bit more...I guess "human" for lack of a better word (some of my friends would say "cute" but I find the quirks more amusing than anything else).
xyc2144

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
And this is the guy capturing female's heart in AoT
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Knight-Hart wrote:
It's beautiful.

You gotta love it. I wonder if they explain why he's such a stickler for a clean house despite being a deadly titan killer. Hopefully much of that will be revealed in 'AoT: No Regrets', which I'm looking forward to read.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The figure retails for 4,167 yen (about US$40.89) before tax, and will be available for pre-order on the Good Smile Company online shop between July 27 and August 4. Those who find themselves at this year's Wonder Festival 2014 (Summer) on July 27 will also be able to purchase the figure at the Wonderful Hobby Life for You!! booth.

Does this mean I won't be able to buy him from American retailers like Crunchyroll, Robert's Anime Corner, Rightstuf, Amazon, etc.?

Not only is he adorable, but I could get some really fun pictures of him cleaning with my Hatori figure...
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I will be brutally honest my main reasons for liking Levi

1) He is voiced by Kamiya Hiroshi
2) I like his character design
3) He is a cool character

Completely shallow reasons which I will not deny.

I think my other 3 favorite characters are much more interesting: Annie, Armin, & Jean. But every once and awhile you need to have a favorite like Levi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1