• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Top 10 Spring Anime Ranked Among Men & Women

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
This must be a specific respondents poll otherwise Love Live would realistically be crushing everything. That brand is pretty much a social phenomenon at this point.

As a huge Sunrise fan (I know you very well in MAL Anime hyper), you are very very ecstatic about that, yes?

Just curious though, are you watching that show? (I do, but I am not sure if you are a fan of that genre even it was produced by Sunrise) As a huge fan of Production IG and Sunrise, I usually follow most of their shows every season.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:18 am Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
And, alas, I still can't understand why people like "Irregulars...". But tastes differ, I guess Confused

Probably cause this season is shit.

Surprised not to see Chaika up there, not that I'd rank it highly but it seemed to hit all the marks.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
WOW, Animes I actually like are on the list, verses typical horrible or never heard of anyone.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Kuro-Law wrote:
NGNL & JJBA are the only interesting sereis.
This really shows how few of the shows youre actually watching or just how narrow your tastes are. Give the rest a shot, at least One Week Friends

Men's List is really good for the most part...but NGNL is still really overrated and predictable

IMO No Game No Life is tremendously overrated for what it's ended up being by western fan communites. Hope summed it up pretty well in her early review on this site in that it's just such an on the nose wish-fulfillment fan service series that relies on gag humor and tired LN tropes like brother sister duos that play around with themes of incest. It's really just not all that particularly stand out compared to something like Ping Pong or Knights of Sidonia or even Haikyuu yet it's pretty much held up as some sort of crowning achievement of storytelling and entertainment value. I don't know that show just feels so unremarkable, like I'm watching it, but it's just sort of their to fill time for me while for others it's like an all-encompassing experience.

I don't know maybe I'm just not otaku enough to really get into a show like that as I tend to vastly prefer anime that isn't overly reliant on you having a specific otaku oriented mindset in order to get the maximum enjoyment out of it. I mean I like games a lot so I thought I'd be enjoying the show on that front but I'm not really getting any sort of love for games or the like out of it so much as the occasional random gag reference to a Phoenix Wright pose. It just feels like yet another show that is settling for mediocrity and basic otaku appeal when it could be more involving suspense and theme wise.

Engineering Nerd wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
This must be a specific respondents poll otherwise Love Live would realistically be crushing everything. That brand is pretty much a social phenomenon at this point.

As a huge Sunrise fan (I know you very well in MAL Anime hyper), you are very very ecstatic about that, yes?

Just curious though, are you watching that show? (I do, but I am not sure if you are a fan of that genre even it was produced by Sunrise) As a huge fan of Production IG and Sunrise, I usually follow most of their shows every season.

It's okay by cute girls doing cute things show standards and has some great production values. It's nice to have one of those types of shows for a change that has clear themes and goals and actually makes attempts to capitalize on them. Also the comedic timing of the show isn't half bad and actually can make me laugh whereas most shows just rely on otaku humor and end up bombing their jokes on me.
hellsingfan01

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
personally i like irregulars and i thought world is still beautiful would have scored higher with women and i thought love live would have been in the women's top ten
Ramstiam

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Am a huge fan of mahouka and think thay have made it really good to this point. The best arc's are still to look forward to, so the popularity will hopefully rise even more Smile
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
Aw no love for Akuma no Riddle
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
"Irregulars" is one of my favorite anime this season. It looks good, has a complex enough plot to interest me, and turns the wall-of-text LNs into something that makes sense. I tried reading those things and they were dense and unintelligible.

I also like "The World is ...", Ping Pong, Sidonia, JoJo, and Mushishi. Sidonia has a great story but it doesn't look very good. They're doing an excellent job writing the scripts for it though.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I'm not sure about Ping Pong. It's not really being talked about much in the English speaking world, and I get the impression that it's a more niche thing: the only people anywhere in the world I see talk about it are people who have an animation focus.

this is a shame too because Ping Pong is so good and it would be even if it looked more traditionally anime-ish
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
Galap wrote:

I'm not sure about Ping Pong. It's not really being talked about much in the English speaking world, and I get the impression that it's a more niche thing: the only people anywhere in the world I see talk about it are people who have an animation focus.

this is a shame too because Ping Pong is so good and it would be even if it looked more traditionally anime-ish

People have too narrow spectrum of what character models they would accept. Has to fit into that nice little box.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote
Heisenberg wrote:
Haikyuu, is one of the most terrible sports anime/manga and this is coming from a sports fan.

This is it. This is officially the worst opinion on this site ever. No contest.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
Can't handle the plebedom in those charts. Jojo not even in the top 5 for either demographic...killing me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
okay so i watched the first three episodes of Mahouka and does it become good at some point?
like does the hero ever have to struggle to overcome adversity, or does he just keep pulling out his World's Handsomest Ninja Wizard powers that are just too damn cool for society to appreciate and everyone learns to love onii-sama?
when do the characters start being interesting instead of The Spunky Short-Haired One and The Stuco President and The Gentle-Natured One With Glasses and Big Tits? someone earlier said that happens?

it's pretty though!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4