• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Best Dressed Female Anime Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:57 am Reply with quote
Seeing the mention of uniforms made me think you could do a list of the most stylish uniforms. Some series have some really nice ones, Vampire Knight for example. I miss the columns on anime fashion that ran a while back...
gorilla491

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
I always hoped the Nana anime would continue on where the manga kept going. I never went back to read the entirety of the manga. Did it end after the mini time skip?
BrokenByDefault

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
I'm super happy to see Paradise Kiss on the list! The series remains as one of my favorite series of all time, and it sparked my interest in Lolita clothing more so than anything else. I particularly like the way it combined punk and more alternative fashion with the sweet Lolita rather seamlessly and beautifully, as Lynzee has said.

I hope we see some male characters on the next list!
veu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:24 am Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I would maybe add Marie Antoinette from Rose of Versailles, or Hitomi, Rui, and Ai from Cat's Eye.

I agree. I would also add Oscar with her white dress at the ball.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
All pretty good choices, but I think the glaring omission here has to be Haydee, the young lady traveling with the Count in Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo.

She was, what, a tertiary character in the series? Gankutsuou was primarily about 2 dudes in a rapidly escalating bromance that was evolving into a love triangle involving the titular Count. That disappointed me greatly, as I expected an anime series about the classic revenge tale, but in a tale all about dudes with dudes I don't consider it surprising that a female character was forgotten.
Quote:
You really can't have an anime set in a girl's school in New York without paying close attention to their outfits.

I have Red Garden on my shelf and I didn't pay close attention to their outfits. I was too busy paying attention to how disappointing that show ended up being, I guess.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Key wrote:
All pretty good choices, but I think the glaring omission here has to be Haydee, the young lady traveling with the Count in Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. The gown she wore to the opera in episode 6(?) is still, to my mind, the most stunning outfit I've ever seen on an anime character. (I'll see if I can get a screen shot of it and link to it later.)

i would definitely put her on this list but there is also Yufie from code geass. she definitely should have been on this list instead of Makoto or those from numbers 6-4 who arent well known but if they wanted a SM character on that list i would have picked Michiru ( Sailor Neptune ) instead of the tomboys Makoto and Haruka.

also Nana number 1? Sure the goth look for her is ok, but i definitely wouldnt put her over Yuko. She should have gotten number 1 easy. Or as another choice Sakura ( Card Captors Sakura ) which cause of the multiple cute dresses she used ,made her everyone's favorite magical girl in the otaku community long before Madoka and Nanoha Takamachi.

Card Captor Sakura was deliberately left out, despite how cute her costumes are, because they are costumes. The same will be used for the men's column next week.

Also, Nana is punk, not goth Anime smile.

Michiru was one of the first characters I thought of because of her elegance. Unfortunately, the animators came up with some pretty unattractive outfits for her in the anime. The bulky suits they stuck Haruka in weren't very flattering either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Card Captor Sakura was deliberately left out, despite how cute her costumes are, because they are costumes. The same will be used for the men's column next week.

Also, they're Tomoyo's designs, and Sakura doesn't WANT to wear them...Which technically doesn't make it Sakura's own sense of style.
Her school uniforms are pretty nice, but that's not her choice of fashion either. Smile
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
I think Kouko Kaga from Golden Time should've made the list somewhere. That girl has some impeccable modern fashion taste.

Wholeheartedly seconded Very Happy .
Raoh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
With all the CLAMP mentioned, I was surprised Princess Hinoto from X was left out. She has some really wonderfully designed wear.
jomy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
With all the CLAMP mentioned, I was surprised Princess Hinoto from X was left out. She has some really wonderfully designed wear.

While I agree with the poster who mentioned Tokyo Babylon's Subaru (and btw, his fashion sense is not only influenced by his sister, she makes his outfits), I don't really agree about Hinoto. After all, she only has one outfit.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
SupraZ wrote:
Really that Nana? I would have chosen Hachi Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I would go with Hachi too, though Nana O has some pretty cool stuff too. I love the red jacket of hers with the black heart in the middle. Or the red dress from when she met Ren.

gorilla491 wrote:
I always hoped the Nana anime would continue on where the manga kept going. I never went back to read the entirety of the manga. Did it end after the mini time skip?

The manga isn't finished yet and sadly is on indefinite hiatus due to medical issues. I hope that if it does get finished, we'll get a second season of the anime.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
midori kou wrote:
I think Kouko Kaga from Golden Time should've made the list somewhere. That girl has some impeccable modern fashion taste.

Wholeheartedly seconded Very Happy .

And thirded! Koko was the first person I thought of. Her elegant rich girl style stands out in contrast to the other girls on the show, and really showcases her personality.

I want One Punch Man to become a series. I like World Trigger and that new vampire manga well enough, but One Punch Man has a great sense of humor that'd be fun to see adapted.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I'd pick Sakura from CCS but then you might as well do the whole case of CCS because only CLAMP believes in making sure you're dressed in beautiful outfits daily. No stock character clothes there. I wonder if there is a trope for that where a show features characters that wear the same clothes every episode with the exception of occasions (ie -- Inspector Gadget, Scooby Doo, etc...)
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
By in large,I agree with this list. They could have put "Cardcaptors'" Sakura Avalon on this list (Yes,I'm going by the English names of the show. It's easier for me to remember who I'm talking about). Her best pal Madison put her in stuff that could either be considered completely imaginative or completely weird.
One of the ladies I agree about is Lita aka Makoto Kino from "Sailor Moon." Just about all of them were dressed well but she had a particularly memorable bit of clothing I remember from the series. She would wear sometimes a sleeveless orange shirt with a either tan or yellowish colored pants. I don't know how to say the rest of this without opening myself up to charges of sexism but I'll try. Embarassed It not only made a certain part of her anatomy seem a bit larger but I also thought that it made it look rather pretty. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3