• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Miyazaki Wanted to Make 'Ponyo 2' Instead of The Wind Rises

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Chrno:
Quote:
The only other good film that came out of Ghibli that he was involved with was Goro's Up From Poppy Hill.

Sorry, but Poppy Hill is boring.

Quote:
One thing concerning Disney, but there was this rumor floating around (that's if it is a rumor) about Disney buying Ghibli.

Never going to happen. That's a line no one at Ghibli is willing to cross. Unless the shareholders suddenly do a hostile takeover of the company, anyway.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
There was nowhere else to go with Ponyo's storyline. I'm glad he was talked out of it. The final scene of Wind Rises, with spoiler[Jiro and Caproni talking about how their moments had passed] made for a nice exit.

I wouldn't say there was nowhere to go. If anything the one criticism I had of Ponyo was the ending, and how I felt there really was no ending, and it just kinded of end. It wasn't so dramatic to be called a cliffhanger, but for those who saw Hyouka, that is what it reminded me of.

In that sense I would have liked to see a sequel, although if anything got a sequel I wanted it to be Howl's, especially since it has 2 other novels.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:04 am Reply with quote
Of all of his movies, Ponyo is the one he wanted a sequel of. Shocked I would rather see another Nausicaa that was closer to the manga.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:53 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Chrno:
Quote:
The only other good film that came out of Ghibli that he was involved with was Goro's Up From Poppy Hill.

Quote:
One thing concerning Disney, but there was this rumor floating around (that's if it is a rumor) about Disney buying Ghibli.

Never going to happen. That's a line no one at Ghibli is willing to cross. Unless the shareholders suddenly do a hostile takeover of the company, anyway.

Well, that's good to know. But hell like to know where that article came from. And it wasn't even April Fools. But hell, it's not like it couldn't happen. Disney owns Marvel so why not control something that's makes revenue for them? I know if that news ever became official, the internet would be in flames. Well, figurately. Disney keep your hands out of my Ghibli.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Chrno:
Quote:
Disney owns Marvel so why not control something that's makes revenue for them?

That's because unlike Ghibli, Marvel is willing to whore its brand.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I always heard porco rosso was the one he wanted to make a sequal of.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

If you're not a fan of slice of life films, then yeah. It is. Just like Whisper of the Heart and Only Yesterday. They're not nearly as fantastical or action packed as other Ghibli offerings. However, if you DO happen to enjoy those types of films then Poppy Hill was great. I'm one of those people, and for me Poppy Hill was very nostalgic and charming, it always makes me feel better when I'm down.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Jay: Poppy Hill is boring, because Goro doesn't know how to direct, because he only got the job, because his last name is Miyazaki. And after recently re-evaluating Only Yesterday, I have to say that Ocean Waves is the superior film. Takahata goes on too many unnecessary tangents in that one.
MatFH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
What bothered me about this article was that there was talk of a public discussion for the occasion of the Oscars and yet there was no further information or a link. Well, the video is officially hosted on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Retti0LEr_A
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3