• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network's Toonami Block to Air Black Lagoon Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
They're pretty much gonna have to replace the dialog with one long, drawn-out *BEEEEEEP*. Laughing

I totally expect that.
YCM1956

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I think that it will be half censored for the language and nudity. Toonami censors that right off, but the language lightens up Blood Lagoon to watch. Especially, the last episode with the girl and the sword will be censored big time.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
It might be entertaining just to see how hand-tied and twisted up the dub will have to be for it to be shown on a non-exclusive cable channel. The cutting room floor is going to look like confetti with all the stuff they're going to have to cut out.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't possibly be worse than what Neon Genesis Evangelion got during "Giant Robot Week"
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Couldn't possibly be worse than what Neon Genesis Evangelion got during "Giant Robot Week"

I just want to point out that I would've not been aware of Evangelion, Dai-guard, Martin Successor Nadesico, Gigantor or Rpbotech had it not been for Giant Robot Week. I probably would've not even been as curious to see Evangelion on its Adult Swim airing if I wasn't aware of it on Giant Robot Week.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
As good timing would have it, Adult Swim just aired an episode of Boondocks where there's a scene with a couple dozen beeps in less than a minute. So AS is not above doing that.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
I don't see this working out too well.

Then again, I already bought the DVDs long ago so I can watch it whenever I want. Toonami marks, enjoy your commercials and bowdlerized broadcasts.

Fixed that for you!
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
As good timing would have it, Adult Swim just aired an episode of Boondocks where there's a scene with a couple dozen beeps in less than a minute. So AS is not above doing that.

Oh they've done that before and that's the stuff that makes it funny for me.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
I enjoyed Deadman's Wonderland bleeps. One of my favorite highlights of watching till they took it away.

One other thing I don't think many people realize is that the opening is also censored, though not by Toonami here. Funimation included the original non-broadcast version on their Deadman Wonderland DVDs.

YCM1956 wrote:
I think that it will be half censored for the language and nudity. Toonami censors that right off, but the language lightens up Blood Lagoon to watch. Especially, the last episode with the girl and the sword will be censored big time.

I suppose it can be unintentionally funny, in a hilariously bad cheesy way, or it'll end up being very annoying with Black Lagoon.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:47 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I love this show and all.. but I quite honestly don't see this working out too well..

Every other word would be censored. It might even get to the point where things wouldn't be understood very well. Rolling Eyes

you have got to be freaking kidding me. i originally meant it as a joke when i made a post on the deadman wonderland review thread of this series possibly coming to AS. never though it would ACTUALLY HAPPEN!

this is bad bad bad all around. sure its like cowboy bebop but, there are far too many "stuff" there that's gonna be massively edited. especially ep 7 with that fry face watching sex videos. that's an obvious no no to the FCC. and i dont make me go on how massively edited they would have to do when it comes to those Romanian twins. this is going to get even more butchered than deadman wonderland for Adult Swim. and of course its highly unlikely that the Roberta Blood Trail OVAs aren't gonna get a broadcast premiere considering their all over 45 min long

especially considering that out Canadian counterpart showed it unedited.

The only way i can see this working out is that the Adult Swim block somehow gets the same rights and privileges as the IFC Channel which showed a lot of Funi titles unedited.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:53 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
this is bad bad bad all around. sure its like cowboy bebop but, there are far too many "stuff" there that's gonna be massively edited. especially ep 7 with that fry face watching sex videos. that's an obvious no no to the FCC.

The FCC doesn't regulate cable TV, just broadcast channels.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:54 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
this is bad bad bad all around. sure its like cowboy bebop but, there are far too many "stuff" there that's gonna be massively edited. especially ep 7 with that fry face watching sex videos. that's an obvious no no to the FCC.

The FCC doesn't regulate cable TV, just broadcast channels.

That's true, which is why I have mentioned, that given their demographics and late night/early am hours, they could do anime uncensored if they really wanted to. It's all down to corporate policy. For example, CNN blurs out breasts in their footage, but Bloomberg News allows it. The unfortunate irony is that most cable networks choose to act as if they are under the FCC, so much so that it has become the expected norm.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:09 am Reply with quote
I'd wager that advertisers carry more clout when it comes to Standards and Practices than does the FCC, at least for cable services.

Also the article says only that the first season will be telecast, so fears about the Hansel and Gretel arc are misplaced. Personally, I rank the second series over the first because of that story and the Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise arc that concludes season two. I found Black Lagoon pretty inconsistent. I didn't much care for the Nazi and Roberta arcs in season one, nor the "Greenback Jane" story in season two. But the best stories, like the Mr. Chang arc in season one and the two I mentioned in Second Barrage, are definitely worth watching.

I've only ever listened to this show in Japanese. Is the original soundtrack as littered with profanities as the Funimation dub appears to be? Or did Funi "spice it up" for Western audiences?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

I've only ever listened to this show in Japanese. Is the original soundtrack as littered with profanities as the Funimation dub appears to be? Or did Funi "spice it up" for Western audiences?
I've listened to the Japanese track with subs just to test that as well, but my problem is I don't know enough Japanese to say that the subs themselves were, or were not spiced up too. I don't think Japanese have the same amount of profane words as English, or at least not as many that would be recognisable as such without being literally pointed out to me. I'm sure like all things language based the Japanese have also assimilated western profanity in their own way by now anyway, just that that sort of thing isn't usually taught in a formal language class, if one gets my drift.
BMDimension

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
The new Toonami is nothing if not constant change. Can't fault their ability to stay in the news by swapping shows in and out.

That is true. Maybe we should be giving them props for them trying to keep things new and different with anime.

I think they are doing a good job and pretty sure they wont be censoring anything despite what a lot of people online say. After all censoring thinking about it closely could be too time consuming.
I'm going to have to see Black Lagoon on Toonami since only saw 2 episodes in the past and wasn't too sure on getting on DVD since wanted to be sure it was something really wanted as a whole.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6