• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray Discs Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Then shouldn't they also be bitching hard when a 2.39:1 film doesn't fill up their screen?

Oh, they do.

Quote:
Should studios crop those films to 16:9 because the general populous is dumb? Yeah, take that Ben-Hur, screw you and your 2.76:1 aspect, now you're 16:9!.

Studios have done that too!
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
DBZ has at least 4 or 5 different Dvd releases, and Kai has 2 dvd and 2 blu ray, and they feel the need to release this again.

Im sorry, I like DBZ, although DB is better, but the udders have run dry.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
DBZ has at least 4 or 5 different Dvd releases, and Kai has 2 dvd and 2 blu ray, and they feel the need to release this again.

Im sorry, I like DBZ, although DB is better, but the udders have run dry.

DBZ TV has 5 different DVD releases (only two of which were truly complete, thanks to Funi dicking their fans around with the abandoned Ultimate Uncut sets), 2 Kai releases (each on DVD and BD), and their previous DBZ BD effort. If you discount the edited Pioneer release, consider Funi's original release and the Ultimate Uncut sets to be one release, and forgive Funi for re-releasing Kai without the copyright-infringing music... this'll "only" be the 6th time that Funi is offering the show.

Which I suppose is at least 2 times too many. By the time the inevitable 4:3 release comes around for purists, it'll be 3 times too many.

Meanwhile, in DB/GT/Film Dragon Box news..........
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
GhostOfSide3 wrote:
-and on a somewhat related note, whats up with spending all that money re-releasing DBZ-related every year but no one's touched Sailor Moon for that nostalgia $$$? (I can only guess ADV Films still holds onto the license until it comes through Sentai someday.)

ADV had sub-licensed the first two seasons from DiC and that ended when DiC's license expired 9 years ago.

Pokenatic wrote:
It's probably more due to money reasons (expensive license) or Toei and/or Naoko Takeuchi not wanting it to be relicensed. ADV has been gone for several years now so they would have already lost the license.

If Capital 8's word is to be believed, it all falls on Takeuchi since everything has to be approved by her and she's very hard to please since It took that company 2 years to get the license for Mexico.

I wish someone from Viz Europe would talk about this since they have the French & German licenses now.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
DBZ is destined to never get a 100% satisfactory release.

Why crop it? Why change the restoration approach? The first way was perfect, this new method takes away some of the detail. Honestly, this new footage doesn't look as good as the first release imo.

Sigh, and DBZ Kai, while the better series in terms of pacing, the remastering on that was crap. Toei didn't even try to stabilize nor clean the frames.

Once the BD rips are out for download I'm going to edit my own Kai series with footage from the BD of DBZ and audio from DBZ Kai. And wherever I can, add the English dub's music.
JDude042

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
To put things short and sweet, I got all my Dragon Ball Z Dragon Boxes. I'm done, I'm good, that's that. I pretty much have the "authentic" product that every true Dragon Ball fan could hope for, so there's no reason for them to get anymore of my money in regards to Dragon Ball Z. When will Funimation ever get around to acknowledging a release of the rest of the Dragon Ball franchise (Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball GT, and the movies) in Dragon Boxes? Probably never at this rate...

As for this Bluray release, as the talking horse from Ren & Stimpy would say, "No sir... I don't like it!" I guess they keep doing these re-releases, knowing the casual fan or someone who already doesn't own it on a physical media will purchase it, and thus the profit continues again and again.

As for why they decide they need to crop it into 16:9 to supposedly give it a "true HD experience," I will never truly understand other than the fact that I guess there are a lot of uneducated idiots out there who will get suckered into Funimation's ploy.

My own personal opinion regarding the matter is, if your cropping the footage in anyway, you're tampering with the sanctity of the original product, and thus butchering it. Why in the mother of the F word would I want to even spend my money on a butchered product?! I guess Funimation's argument is, "It's the era of HD! We have to make it fill up the TV screen! Death to those black bars on the sides of the screen!" Dumbasses! I guess they don't realize that you can take a show that was made in a 4:3 aspect ratio and display it in 16:9 by stretching it, filling the entirety of your HDTV screen, and not having to crop any of the footage. I see this done all the time with shows that were made in 4:3, and you know what? It looks perfectly normal to me.

Some of Funimation's business decisions with this franchise are just abominable. Why does Funimation even waste their time and money with this cropping garbage? When I've watched older episodes of Family Guy on DVD that were made in 4:3 on my PS3, it automatically stretches the picture to display it in 16:9 and fill the entirety of my TV screen, and guess what? It doesn't crop the footage in any way, shape, or form. I'm sure any standard Bluray player is capable of doing the same thing. So in other words, needless cropping much Funimation?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
ehhh, Ill wait to see reviews before buying this. Good thing is that I don't own DBZ on dvds at all, so maybe getting it on BD will be worth the wait
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
This thread is thoroughly predictable. How quickly people forget: FUNimation led off with a 4:3 Blu-ray that was everything fans said they wanted. It didn't work. Fast forward to this year and they led off by polling the internet on the second release.

I get the frustration. But the "boohoo, FUNimation never listens" complaining is just tiresome and dated now.

If you don't complain the likes of Funimation will assume you're alright with horrific releases like this. Just because you're apathetic towards it doesn't mean other people should be too.

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that Funimation screwed themselves over with the Level sets. They had pretty much exploited the Dragon Ball fandom to the point of saturation:

Dragon Ball Z: Orange Bricks (DVD) - 2007 to 2009
Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box (DVD) - 2009 to 2011
Dragon Ball Z Kai (DVD/BD) - 2010 to present
Dragon Ball Z: Level Sets (BD) - 2011 to 2012

Funimation milked this cow so hard that it started to bleed, and unfortunately the Level Sets were the ones that got the short end of the stick. That is just an insanely unrealistic release calendar for what's effectively the same content. Especially given Funimation's tendency to promote the newest release as the best ever ... until the next one which is then the best one ever. People are going to get exhausted.

I'm sure many of us would rather Funimation keep DBZ off of Blu-Ray if they're not going to do it right, and just wait for Toei to do their restoration.
kanechin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
dragon ball z definitive collection exists

why are why getting more?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for film preservation but, let's face facts, this is lower end of Dragon Ball. That twenty minute stare down? Yeah, let's preserve every square inch {if still there} of every second {if still there} of every version of it...

But you got to watch every second of it.

And we've gone from "pan and scan" to "Flash Pan and scan"? It doesn't bother me as much as trying to watch 2.35 and up films on a 1.33 screen. This sort of thing? Pointless argument both ways. Should they not have done it? Well, they didn't do it at first but they weren't moving enough copies to cover expenses apparently. Still, it could have been episode counts combined with the release of Kai combined with Dragon apathy but I guess enough people answered the poll {Hey, a Kickstarter system that's doesn't seem like shameless begging! How original} to warrant another release...

For the record, I have the Orange boxes and that's fine for me {No Kai for me; Driving Test!, Snake Way and Garlic Jr. and all that with the Falconer score, Japanese track and plus the dub with the original score. No way I'm giving up "Perfect Cell Runs"}.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The new sets will be in widescreen format.

Thank god. I remember buying Kai sets and being really disappointed that the legit product wasn't 16:9 like the fansubs were. The fansubs never felt like content was falling off the edges so getting a real product with huge black bars on the side felt like a major fall off to me. I like content that properly displays on my television.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Thank god. I remember buying Kai sets and being really disappointed that the legit product wasn't 16:9 like the fansubs were. The fansubs never felt like content was falling off the edges so getting a real product with huge black bars on the side felt like a major fall off to me. I like content that properly displays on my television.

See. This is exactly what I'm talking about. *shakes head*

Kai was animated in Full Frame, it was cropped for broadcast (which the fansubs are based on). The Blu-ray was the proper aspect ratio.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:10 am Reply with quote
I don't care about original aspect ratio. I've seen it in 16:9 and I wasn't missing anything and it looked great. You have dragon boxes and the Kai sets if you loathe DBZ in 16:9. Now people that love it in 16:9 have a product they can buy and enjoy. Why does this hurt your heart? Don't like, don't buy.

It wasn't originally made in 1080p and the whole point of remastering is altering the original content. This release isn't for you if alterations bring you to tears.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:22 am Reply with quote
The thing is, these constant re-releases don't change the bloody fact that it is THE SAME DAMN STORY! Saiyans/Saiya-Jins attack earth, Goku beats them back, go to Namek, keep Dragon Balls from Frieza, Goku goes to Namek and fights Frieza and beats him back, Trunks appears, Androids attack, Cell appears, Goku and Gohan train, fight Cell, then we have Saiyaman, then more tournaments, Babidi, Majin Buu, Super Buu. *WHEEZE*

Really, what more do you need to see from this story? The previous releases of this show are still lining the shelves and the common viewer wants to see Goku and friends kick ass, not look at different framerates and aspect ratios. Rolling Eyes

Actually, let me put it this way: Dragon Ball Z is a Malibu Stacy doll and FUNimation has given her a new hat. Now, FUNimation wants everyone to buy Malibu Stacy because she has a new hat despite the fact that she is still the same Malibu Stacy.
BadAssSamurai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
I'll only purchase these sets if the Japanese audio is significantly improved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5