• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Gun?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I was at Best Buy today, looking at the anime because they usually have a good selection. I read the description for the show Samurai Gun. It sounded very interesting and was thinking of purchasing it. However, when I looked at the ratings on the ANN page for it, there were a lot of people who seemed to dislike the series. Anyone want to add some insight as to why this could be?
Nerv1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, according to the review for the DVD, character development just lagged in the story, the series was too preoccupied with historical inaccuracy and the concept didn't work,and the story line and plot was pretty lame. For more info check out the Samurai Gun DVD 1 review.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Personally I think that there are better way to spend your cash. I thought Samurai Gun was a series that made little to no sense along with the lack of development among the characters. Also I hope your okay with women being shown in what I would consider extremely degrading situations. It basically isn't hentai but's it's extremely profane ecchi to say the least. I think that there must be better shows that you could spent your money on.

Also as for best buy selection I would say that there pretty good but if your willing to shop online Deepdiscount.com and Rightstuf (Currently 40% off Bandai dvds) are the best places to look.
Sun King

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
I've seen the first DVD of Samurai Gun and I absolutely hated it. I don't remember being bothered by any profane sexual situations, but oh my god was the story lame. The character designes and animation were pretty bland too, so it's not like I had much to look at either. I'm really glad i borrowed it instead of buying it.

Deltakiral wrote:
Also as for best buy selection I would say that there pretty good but if your willing to shop online Deepdiscount.com and Rightstuf (Currently 40% off Bandai dvds) are the best places to look.

I got all the Giant Robo ova episodes with the Ginrei Special for under twenty bucks at Best Buy like a month ago, and when I checked online later they were priced from $25-30, and that didn't include shipping. So it doesn't hurt to check out Best Buy once in awhile Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Also I hope your okay with women being shown in what I would consider extremely degrading situations.

I have to agree from what one episode I saw that it was degrading for women. spoiler[They had one woman strapped to a pole and she ended up being a guinea-pig for one of their machinegun type weapons.]
Shinkusanagi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:13 am Reply with quote
I just bought the anime box set. the other day. I saw the first 2 eps and so far i'm not impressed. The story is weak.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:16 am Reply with quote
If it all possible, you should consider going down to your local video store and see if they have it for rent. From what I've noticed, places like Blockbuster and some other stores, actually have sections dedicated to Anime. Of course you could always Netflix it, or visit some other online video rental place and see what you think.

But for me, personally, Samurai shows and guns just don't mix. I'm sure they might be able to pull one or two scenes that could look nice. But then again, I always remember that scene in Indiana Jones, where that one giant guy is swinging his sword around all crazy like, then Harrison Ford pulls out his pistol and shoots the guy dead. Pretty damn hilarious if you ask me, but not something I'd want to see in an Anime.
Shinkusanagi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:37 am Reply with quote
LOL i remember that scene. I laugh my ass off when hairison ford did that. Well i'm going to watch some more eps but i might just trade this anime in for another anime.

Last edited by Shinkusanagi on Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Rozzer wrote:
But for me, personally, Samurai shows and guns just don't mix. I'm sure they might be able to pull one or two scenes that could look nice. But then again, I always remember that scene in Indiana Jones, where that one giant guy is swinging his sword around all crazy like, then Harrison Ford pulls out his pistol and shoots the guy dead. Pretty damn hilarious if you ask me, but not something I'd want to see in an Anime.

That is a true statement, however, some animes can do it right. Gun Frontier was a mix of samurai stuff and the wild west, and that was a decent series. Samurai 7 though is the best example of how to make a samurai anime with modern tech work, that was a great series.

Edit: PS thanks for stopping me from buying this. lol
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I just went and watched the first episode. What a wonderful way to start off a series: spoiler[girl running and screaming, a shot of her boobs all bouncing up and down, and then finally these weirdos kill her. Then some time later in the episode these two women get impaled while hiding in a tree.] Anything better? Rolling Eyes
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Okay, I just went and watched the first episode. What a wonderful way to start off a series: spoiler[girl running and screaming, a shot of her boobs all bouncing up and down, and then finally these weirdos kill her. Then some time later in the episode these two women get impaled while hiding in a tree.] Anything better? Rolling Eyes

No basically it gets worse from this point, I found this series just cruel and completely wasteful. I remember how ADV was so proud that no one was fansubbing this show and they had exclusive rights to it.....congrats on holding the rights to something completely offensive to everyone.....

Quote:
Edit: PS thanks for stopping me from buying this. lol

Your welcome, there are some anime that are so bad that there good. This is not one of them, it's just plain awful.
Shinkusanagi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

I thought those parts in that show was stupid also.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Shinkusanagi wrote:

Well, it could have been worse for the first scene, like spoiler[an indication that she might get raped, the way she was running with the boob shots. After having watched the first scene and knowing what happened to that girl, the second scene was so predictable of what was going to happen to the other two girls. The thing is though, how do you impale two girls with an arrow through a tree? A spear maybe, but an arrow?] Rolling Eyes Cheap. Unfortunately I bought the entire series thanks to the ADV sale from rightstuf, I guess I'll just have to go through the series to see how butt ugly it is.
Shinkusanagi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Shinkusanagi wrote:

Well, it could have been worse for the first scene, like spoiler[an indication that she might get raped, the way she was running with the boob shots. After having watched the first scene and knowing what happened to that girl, the second scene was so predictable of what was going to happen to the other two girls. The thing is though, how do you impale two girls with an arrow through a tree? A spear maybe, but an arrow?] Rolling Eyes Cheap. Unfortunately I bought the entire series thanks to the ADV sale from rightstuf, I guess I'll just have to go through the series to see how butt ugly it is.

Really? spoiler[ i thought he used a spear to kill those 2 girls?]
Opaque

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
I was really close to picking up the thinpack at work if only because the price was right; but then both the people who picked up the first two that came in said it wasn't anything special.

I'd love for someone to tell me it's good, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2