• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Read Or Don't

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
OK, that settles it. I need to start reading Yakitate!! Japan. This review just screams at me: "If you're not reading this series, you're missing out!" I like that cover also.

Quote:
it should be no surprise that Ryu, the noodle and martial arts master, is a friend and rival of manager Ken (get it?)

Yeah, I get it. Nice way to reference Street Fighter. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:
Aww... I really liked LotT. I knew basic things about the series, like the first half of Sign, but it was still enjoyable. I felt the manga really hit its groove in volume two.

It was better than the anime counterpart anyway.

It wasn't hard to be better than its anime counterpart, that's for sure.

I think that's why I was able to enjoy the manga series--it took the decent idea that the anime of LotT had, and made it work a lot better. Volume 1 was decent, volume 2 was worse, and volume 3 was a fans dream with the return of a few characters from the game, as well as images of their 'real life' selves. I still prefer the Another Birth novels, although those aren't particularly well written. And in the end, I prefer SIGN and the original games over everything else. I'm not sure I'm really going to like Roots either or GU, but I'll probably buy them anyway if I can find them on sale.

Ugh, LotT anime was painful. I swear, if I had to see Shugo's tooth fall out one more time...

I really liked the manga, though.

Mylene: GU's a pretty good game. It's heavy on the cut scenes and talk, and there's a little less freedom to do as you please, but I recommend it.
Dardre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with the 'Twilight' review. I personally always thought it was aimed at fans of .hack and was there to give those fans, particularly those that played the games, a chance to see what happened to their favorite characters, on-line and off. Even though I played through the games and watched or read every .hack series that I could get my hands on, I was still rather bored and disappointed with 'Twilight'. Really, the only thing I liked was seeing the faces behind the game-characters I liked in the games. Oh, and finding out who Mireille is in 'real-life' and how she fits into the games Wink

But over-all, 'Twilight' isn't all that good.
zeno99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I thought volume 18 of Bleach was one of the best volumes to date. And what's Santo's problem with the side character battles in this volume. The supporting characters in Bleach are actually useful, unlike Sakura in Naruto or any other character who wasn't Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, and Piccolo in DBZ. The battle started between Soifon and Yoruichi was badass and about as cool as any of the battles Ichigo had. The same goes for the fight started between Captain General Yamamoto and the two captains( Jushiro and Shunsui)

Despite my love of the secondary characters, when I do see the main character again it makes me appreciate him even more. In this case absence does make the heart grow fonder.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I, also, have to agree .hack//Legend of the Twilight could have been done much better. However, by the middle of Volume 2 and through Volume 3, I did find it gets better.

(A bit OT, but the true injustice with LotT was converting it into a pop, light-hearted anime version that could have been better if they stuck to the manga's plot. I found the SIGN character cameos to be the only redeeming quality of it. In the end, the anime just turned out to be a combination of SIGN / Games / Manga that ultimately failed in every sense. As a good example, spoiler[Rena (the BlackRose character) falls into a coma, and what do Shugo and his partymates do? They have a hot springs adventure!] Just terrible. )
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about the manga but the boring stuff in the TV version of Read or Die I thought was pretty refreshing and nice. I love the slice of life feel but I did like the more actiony parts. The second half with a mix of both slice of life and action was awesome.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I enjoyed the .hack Lott manga and I really don't know much about .hack at all. Seriously, the most I knew about .hack when I picked it up was that it had to do with an online game. Even without the background knowledge, I grasped the concept and liked it all the same.

I need to get Yakitate! Japan volume 4! I've been stalling too long! The only reason I've stalled was because the copy at Borders was in bad condition.

I also need to pick up IchiMaro vol.3, so many manga, so little time.

Last edited by CloverKuroba on Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Erufu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
I need Yakitate 4! Sad I like the manga better, because I heard it's longer than the anime. I heard its the Yakitate 20 arc instead of the Yakitate 7. Also, I am glad the rice sidestory was early on in the manga. It was a lot later in the anime.

The show arc is longer in the manga, but, to my understanding, the anime was extended beyond what it was supposed to go, and that extension included the show arc.

People criticize Yakitate? *gasp* I am surprised! That manga and anime are amazing! I need more Yakitate figures to order just so people will look confused when they ask me where they are from and I dive into explaining the goodness of Yakitate.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I've actually not read the manga for LoTB yet, but I enjoyed the anime for what it was, just simple and fun. I didn't expect anything else. For me the best print property of .hack is AB - spoiler[Where Orca and Balmung earn their "Descendants of Fianna" titles.]
Heart Wing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote
heh, have to agree about Legend of Twilight. I read it in the afternoon sun and it's a killer combination...after the second or third time through it became kinda ok (I bought the cheap 3 book set...stupid me being cheap...)
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
OK, that settles it. I need to start reading Yakitate!! Japan.

Yes, you do. Razz

I love Yakitate. It makes the tired shounen cliches fresh and exciting, and the challenges are clever and resolved in fantastic (not to mention incredibly delicious) ways. Oh, and it's hilarious. Very Happy

I actually enjoy Bleach the most when more attention is paid to the side characters than to Ichigo. But then, I'm usually biased towards the 'supporting' characters in most series anyway, as they're almost always more interesting and fun. : )
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
EVERYONE needs to read Yakipan. Although I'd like to know how the japanese puns were trasnlated by VIZ since they're usually word-play that doesnt make sense in english. Plus VIZ always use their goofy, oversized english sound effects, which generally annoy me...

As for .hack, I was sad to see it get in the WORST section. Come on, it wasnt THAT bad...I thought we were going to reserve this WORST section for stuff like BokuImo. Laughing I admit .hack is quite flawed, and probably goes too fast, but I didn't think it was incomprehensible. Actually, the twilight manga was the first .hack thing I was ever exposed to, and it made perfect sense to me as long as I knew that there's a game called The World and Kite/Black Rose were legendary...and it tells you that in the manga anyway.
I guess its basically just a big load of fluffy, happy, cutesy fun. If you dont like fluffy, happy, cutesy fun, then I guess it isnt the series for you. Of course, fluffy happy cutesy fun has been done better, and with much more satisfying final volumes.
But come on. 'Square-enix rejects'? The character designs are gorgeous. Its the cuteness of the characters that made me pay attention to this series in the first place.
But yeah, the anime DID really suck.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:33 am Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
OK, that settles it. I need to start reading Yakitate!! Japan.

Yes, you do. Razz

I love Yakitate. It makes the tired shounen cliches fresh and exciting, and the challenges are clever and resolved in fantastic (not to mention incredibly delicious) ways. Oh, and it's hilarious. Very Happy

Good to hear, Nevvie. Very Happy I was hesitant to try this series because I was worried about it being filled with the usual shounen stuff and also because it had to do with baking. This review convinced me otherwise and so I actually went out bought the first volume yesterday. I'll be reading it when I get the chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smoochy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
.hack is perhaps one of the worst pieces of entertainment in recent time, in all of it's various forms, anime, videogames, and especially the manga. Good job on telling the truth about a popular piece of crap.

I have all the volumes of Yakitate preordered that are available for preorder on Amazon. I picked up the first two volumes, and I was immediately hooked. I think Kazuma is perhaps one of my new role models in life.
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked the manga, because it was kinda fluffy. I admit, it's definately not the best manga in the world, but I wouldn't say it's the worst...
Though, I saw the .hack//SIGN anime before I read the manga, so I had a general idea of the series.

(I honestly don't think the .hack// series is crap, but whatever, we've all got our opinions I guess)

And yes, Yakitate!! Japan IS perhaps the best parody of all shounen cliches, and should be immediately read Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3