• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Job Openings at Anime News Network

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:38 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Very happy to see ANN is expanding its stable of reviewers.

Interesting viewpoint. When I read the news, the first thing I thought of was "who are the two writers leaving?"

ANN's been going through some changes, so I couldn't help but think "replacement" rather than "expansion".
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:48 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I said little to no _experience_, not interest. There's a difference.

Think of the use-case: who will benefit from reading anime reviews written by people with a scanty background anime knowledge?

[and remember, it's the relative benefit that matters here: how does this compare with normal reviews written by someone reasonably knowledgeable about the field? ANN's not going to hire two people, after all.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:10 am Reply with quote
@ ME - hmm, I didn't even consider the possibility that the hires are replacements, not additions. No way to know for sure, unless there is some announcement, but I suspect the hires are additions. We can't expect poor Bamboo to handle the streaming portfolio all by herself.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:35 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
ANN's been going through some changes, so I couldn't help but think "replacement" rather than "expansion".

Hmmm. Now what does that tell us about you?

I don't think that this necessarily has to have anything to do with anybody leaving. Hope Chapman resuming writing reviews wasn't accompanied by a departure, after all. I suspect that this is simply expanding coverage on something that's already very big and likely to keep growing. Adding streaming coverage seems like a natural direction for the site to take. Given the profusion of weblogs and other sources dedicated to reviewing streams, paying greater attention to it is just keeping up with the market.

I'm glad to see this. I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to see some new perspectives in ANN's reviews. I hope that these new writers participate in the preview guides. (Given their remits, that seems highly likely)

I'm very curious to see whom ANN hires. The requirement seems like high bars in a niche field, so I don't imagine that the pool of viable candidates is very large. (12 series a season... I have to fight my way up to four!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Hmmm. Now what does that tell us about you?

Put the cigar down, Freud.

With Robin leaving, Bamboo's temporary hiatus from Shelf Life (to pursue a degree unrelated to anime), and Answerman changing, it's a plausible observation (or assumption, if it makes people feel better).

Change is inevitable.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
Nihal wakode wrote:
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
For the streaming position I live in Canada and don't have access to Hulu. That being said I consume large amounts of anime every season and have been writing reviews for over a year at this point and have received press releases from Viz Media and review copies from Vertical Inc. Can I still apply?

Question answered literally right below where this was posted.

To calm some speculation, these are additions to the review team, not replacements.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Egads. 12 or more anime a season? I'm not a machine.

If you do this for six days a week, that is only an hour a day watching anime, actually less, since most anime is not even 30 minutes long. Quite doable, unless you are working two shifts a day or have multiple paying jobs.
Of course, the writing part will probably take longer depending on the individual.

The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
For the streaming position I live in Canada and don't have access to Hulu. That being said I consume large amounts of anime every season and have been writing reviews for over a year at this point and have received press releases from Viz Media and review copies from Vertical Inc. Can I still apply?

Isn’t there ways of bypassing IP region blocking. Fans do it to watch or visit Japanese websites, who don’t want foreigners screaming about their material. May take a bit of searching, but there is probably a site that allows you to use a U.S. IP. As long as you are a paying Hulu customer, there shouldn’t be any problems.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
I know it can be done but based on attempts I've made in the past to do so, it's not exactly easy.

Definitely a shame to exclude so many regions, especially since Crunchyroll has the majority of shows (I think) and is available beyond the US.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I know it can be done but based on attempts I've made in the past to do so, it's not exactly easy.

Definitely a shame to exclude so many regions, especially since Crunchyroll has the majority of shows (I think) and is available beyond the US.

IIRC, some of the shows that Crunchyroll shows are only available in the US. I'm not entirely sure that's the case, but I seem to remember hearing that.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If you do this for six days a week, that is only an hour a day watching anime, actually less, since most anime is not even 30 minutes long. Quite doable, unless you are working two shifts a day or have multiple paying jobs.
Of course, the writing part will probably take longer depending on the individual.

To put this in perspective, choosing a screenshot, researching, and properly writing up a Preview Guide entry typically takes me anywhere from 25 to 50 minutes for a full-length episode, so including watching the episode the average time commitment is about an hour. If Zac is looking to have these new hires do a running weekly commentary then you're probably talking about around 15 hours per week put in on this (remember, that 12 series bit was a minimum).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:

IIRC, some of the shows that Crunchyroll shows are only available in the US. I'm not entirely sure that's the case, but I seem to remember hearing that.

It varies among regions, Spain has very few CR streams for this season, but Latin America has around 70% of CR's Fall lineup available (20+ series) and iirc South Africa and Canada get almost 100% of the shows that USA gets. With Funi and Hulu having what, 5 or 6 shows in total, I do find the requirement of having access to both of them kind of absurd, when just having access to CR already grants you the chance of covering the 12+ shows a week (depending regions of course)
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
just for reference where is this staff openings page the article mentions to look at?
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
It's in the page footer.

animenewsnetwork.com/staff-openings
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

I'm not purposefully excluding regions, and if you live in another country but can still access legal streams of these shows then fine, you're qualified.

The job requires access to everything that's legally streaming in a current season.

CrowLia wrote:
With Funi and Hulu having what, 5 or 6 shows in total, I do find the requirement of having access to both of them kind of absurd, when just having access to CR already grants you the chance of covering the 12+ shows a week (depending regions of course)

So you're saying it's absurd that I want to hire someone who can potentially cover everything available and should instead look to hire someone who can't legally access those 5 or 6 shows.

Maybe that makes sense to you, but not to me. It isn't a charity or an all-inclusive thing, I'm hiring someone to do a job, and I *can* hire someone with legal access to all of this stuff without having to resort to streamrips.

Also, to everyone mentioning the "12+" shows thing, that's a litmus test for the sort of person I want to hire for this - someone already consuming that much just in their own free time - not what they'll actually be covering. Key is right - that's almost a base number for what will be required.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Maybe "absurd" was not the right word to use, but we do reckon that not every single reviewer in ANN covers every single show of every single season, right? That someone misses out on 5-6 shows when there are already 3 more people who can/will cover them would not kill anyone.

All I'm saying is that it wouldn't hurt the site to have the perspective of people outside the USA -as others have said in this thread-, and with the current requirements, that's literally impossible because only the US has legal access to everything that's streaming
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4