• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Flash

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
How is Miene's, that is who I assume you are talking about, the most sympathetic. Her entire reason for all her action is probably the weakest, and just smacks of atheism pandering and anti religion biasing.

Honestly, Yuno, Yuki, Tsuaki all have much more tragic backgrounds, and more grounded reasons for being as twisted as they are, then oh my parents died woah is me, clearly God is to blame.

I would question what is the basis of your sympathies.

And at minimum the most sympathetic character would be the 8th diary holder, you know the one who runs an orphanage, has no plans to take part in the games, and is generally an all around nice individual, who I am glad gets a good ending.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
I wish that Future Diary had been a tad more serious as the absurdity of it gets to me but I do feel that the over-the-top violence helps alleviate the suck of the show's absurdity, something that the at-least-as-absurd-and-similarly-setup show Eden of the East didn't have.

At least Future Diary had the decency to have its system created by a god that was given a "meta" name. Eden of the East just gave us a BS magic cellphone, which it did not acknowledge as being pure and utter BS (ie:it played it straight), and expected us to roll with it.

Say, since I don't have the box of this (no bluray) does it, like Eden of the East, also come with a quote from ANN's own Zac gushing about how much he loved the show (I'm still hoping that said quote of his was sarcastic)?

Which reminds me, how come this Shelf Life spelled out "bullshit" but later decided to censor "asshole" into "a-hole"? Also, how come the obvious comparisons between this and Eden of the East weren't made in the column? I am disappoint.
Etrien

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
Oh man, Future Diary. It's pretty much tied for the worst thing I've seen in a good many years, but it had nothing to do with the shock or gore; the writing was just unbearably bad. Give me Berserk or Higurashi any day.

I'm sure all my rantings still exist in the appropriate series thread, though. Now I just kind of try to forget this series exists.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
I marathoned the series and found it to be both frustrating and intriguing. Frustrating in the sense that I just couldn't keep track of which diary holder had either greater advantage or power over a counterpart. At times I had to freeze frames to read the diary content (reminiscent of reading the footnotes scribbled in by the author of Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei manga situations) falsely believing I could stay cognizant of what was going on. Ha, what a mess.

The glue that had me entranced through the entire show was the Yuki-Yuno pairing. Her script generated recall of a turbulent romantic situation I cast myself in years ago with a manic-depressive I was deeply in love with which bordered on madness for both parties involved. I found myself not worrying about the sanity of the series so much because I was drawn in and could honestly empathize with Yuno watching her actions, fears, thought-processes, dissociative actions as each obstacle presented new challenges to her collaborative effort with Yuki trying to win the "theoretical" prize. Her unbridled, dogged, determination reminded me of a past psychological trauma-laden history with a former fiancee as we tried to sort out our truths in a reality replete with interesting white lies, fabrications, fantasies during our rocky relationship together.

And I could truly relate with Yuki watching him and his initiative dissolve rather than evolve in that relationship. For me somewhere in the second season this show was no longer a psychological animation thriller. Yuno's character had morphed from a two-dimension warrior into a transformative case study of a relationship from my past that just wasn't meant to be. Hence, for personal reasons I found Future Diary to be one of those more memorable anime releases watched to date. I doubt I'll ever forget her story.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It must be mentioned that if you're squeamish about bloodshed and rampant murder, this show is absolutely not for you. In fact, it feeds on the shock that it generates from constantly one-upping itself. Every murder gets more and more ridiculous, every kill becomes easier (for both the characters and the viewers), and by the time characters start offing their family members, you can only think, “well, I guess that had to happen.”

Great, just what we need: another Blood-C.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
For a second there, from the thumbnails, I thought the submitted shelf had some items squeezed so well against the top of the stack that they were just stuck there in suspension...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Which reminds me, how come this Shelf Life spelled out "bullshit" but later decided to censor "asshole" into "a-hole"?

The second wasn't a censor. I just wanted people to pronounce it "A-Hole" in their heads.

Quote:
Also, how come the obvious comparisons between this and Eden of the East weren't made in the column? I am disappoint.

Because it wasn't relevant at some point. When I originally wrote about Future Diary in The Stream, I made the comparisons, but at some point, the two series cease to have anything in common, other than having a similar hook. Plus, if you haven't seen Eden of the East, that comparison holds no meaning.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
I marathoned the series and found it to be both frustrating and intriguing. Frustrating in the sense that I just couldn't keep track of which diary holder had either greater advantage or power over a counterpart.

I dunno, what about spoiler[the guy whose diary could read everyone else's diaries?] That seems like total BS to me, and should be against the made-up rules.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

I dunno, what about spoiler[the guy whose diary could read everyone else's diaries?] That seems like total BS to me, and should be against the made-up rules.

spoiler[Think that was part of the point, as the guy that could do it was the one that proposed and helped implement it. Somehow. Not sure how THAT makes any sense.]
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
"And so it starts wildly pulling out twist after twist, to the point where it kind of feels like you're playing a board game with a child who insists on continually rewriting the rules of the game."

Calvinball, the anime.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
bemused Bohemian wrote:
I marathoned the series and found it to be both frustrating and intriguing. Frustrating in the sense that I just couldn't keep track of which diary holder had either greater advantage or power over a counterpart.

It's what he asked for and to be completely fair for everyone, Diary Holder 1 never should have teamed up with 2. 1 gets an objective view of everything around him while 2 only has to keep 1 alive by keeping an eye on him which is her raison d'etre.

I love the fact that everyone except for three eventually spoiler[got everything they want, the "Happy End" as opposed to the "Bad End" where they died and that happens precisely because of the actions of Minene just helping 4. Not because she thought it would make a difference, she just wanted to do something decent.]

Why three? He's the "control group" of redemption. I love how the series spells out how he feels about the idea of "second chances".

And everything unraveled from there, A Deus ex Machina to end all Deus Ex Machina. Not "so to speak", it's quite literal for a reason.

Anyways, I came to the anime from enjoying the complete run of the manga so my perspective is a little more deliberate; The over the top violence and killing clearly gets in the way of the puzzle plot and nihilism spoiler[ of a doomed future where everyone's going to die in an end of the universe wipe so go wild and kill everyone you have to because you're trying to save them.]. Still, it's easier to focus on the visceral visuals because the second takes quite the leap of faith to reach the end. But it is a quest for godhood so it's all there in the instruction manual...

Back to the main point of the quote, what's the point of reaching the state of godhood if you don't take down a god first? It runs the same way for 1 and 11 {Hmm, 1 and 2 against 1 and 1. It's almost deliberate...}; They have to contest against someone in a near state of omniscience in order to become omnipotent.

Unfortunately, the TV series is incomplete without the OVA ending so I agree with the "rental" rating until the whole package gets released. "Resolution" here doesn't only mean an ending but clarification. But "shelfworthy", absolutely, as long as you're willing to think rather than just react.

Quote:
How is Miene's, that is who I assume you are talking about, the most sympathetic. Her entire reason for all her action is probably the weakest, and just smacks of atheism pandering and anti religion biasing.

Right. She's in a contest to become God so there's a bit more going on than that and the idea that an "atheist" would agree to such a contest, delivered personally by God, doesn't set off any alarms?

And Is This is a Zombie of the Dead? is funny but it really suffers from lacking a climax. Especially since the first season had two of them.
ZimmyG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm 24 and watched Princess Knight all the way through. I even enjoyed it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to finish Future Diary. Like its 'over the topness'. Looking forward to finishing it, especially since TokyoPop folded the manga before it finished.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Love future diary, but it really is a love it or hate it show. I wasn't going to watch this show( "future diary" and "mirai nikki" sounded kinda lame to me, as did the thumbnail of frightened Yuki on Funimation's website) until I read the stream column talking about how crazy it was (around episode 3 or 4 I believe). First episode was ok, but episode 2 spoiler[especially the scene when Yuki stabs Ninth ] got me hooked. Its a crazy show that i find enormously entertaining, despite its numerous Dues Ex Machina's that start to show up towards the end spoiler[everyone getting a diary, Murmur turning evil, Minene getting Dues inside of her] That said , I agree with the Rental shelf rating, though I want it on my shelf(hopefully Funimation will do a blu ray rerelease like they did with Heaven Lost property forte)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

spoiler[Think that was part of the point, as the guy that could do it was the one that proposed and helped implement it. Somehow. Not sure how THAT makes any sense.]

Well there was character/god named deus ex machina that represented yuki. I didn't expect the logic to hold down through out the series. As far as the series go it's self I actually really enjoyed, maybe I'm just a sucker for over the top/bat-sh** insane stuff, check spoilers.

spoiler[Yuno holding yuki prisoner so she could make him submit, the fact the male/female lead actually have sex then she tries to kill me, the multiple worlds with different versions over each character.] Also to anyone who hasn't caught the unlicensed ova that did watch this series, look it up and just watch it if you are bored one day.

Overall great shelf-life, however two of the titles I think are worth keeping, just keep up the good work bamboo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2