• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Product placement in anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TWXM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I was just wondering what instances of product placement in anime people have noticed. I know of two examples: Revy's blatent endorsment of the band Guitar Wolf in the last arc of Black Lagoon, and also pizza hut being commonly shown and talked about in Code Geass.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Bunshichi in Tenjho Tenge is blatantly advertising Cocacola in one scene.

Also not really advertisement but more of a parody, I've seen lots of anime where characters eat at a fast food resturant that's obviously meant to represent McDonalds, the name is simmilar and the large "M" is changed to a "W".
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I heard there was a scene in a Tenchi Muuyo OVA or movie where Washu tossed a bag of M&Ms into the air and for just a single frame you could clearly see the white "M&M" logo on every piece of candy. But I don't remember where I read that and the person who noted it didn't provide any screenshots as proof, so I don't know how true that is. (Does anyone else remember hearing about something like this or am I just remembering incorrectly?)
coffee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
I heard there was a scene in a Tenchi Muuyo OVA or movie where Washu tossed a bag of M&Ms into the air and for just a single frame you could clearly see the white "M&M" logo on every piece of candy. But I don't remember where I read that and the person who noted it didn't provide any screenshots as proof, so I don't know how true that is. (Does anyone else remember hearing about something like this or am I just remembering incorrectly?)

If that's true then it had to be either movie 1 or 2, as those are the only pieces out of the series I have yet to see, and I'm positive that scene isn't anywhere else. But I've never heard about this until just now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Bunshichi in Tenjho Tenge is blatantly advertising Cocacola in one scene.

Also not really advertisement but more of a parody, I've seen lots of anime where characters eat at a fast food resturant that's obviously meant to represent McDonalds, the name is simmilar and the large "M" is changed to a "W".
Japanese broadcast rules say that shows can't use company names or trademarks without the owner's permission, which is why you see so many "SOMY" music players or "Bonda" cars. At least that's how I understand it from previous threads on this topic.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I badly need to update, but here:
http://anime.thenexxus.org/prodmis/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
d.yaro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
The one that caught me by surprise was McDonald's in the DiGi Charat Winter Garden OVA. There's a shot in each episode with the golden arches and "McDonald's Hamburgers" in katakana pretty well dead centre in the screen. Also Ronald McDonald is depicted as a cut-out character framing a signboard outside the restaurant's entrance. I was so used to seeing "W"s and upside down arches in anime...
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
There were many scenes in Welcome to the NHK showing Satou's computer being Mindows, a clear reference to Windows.

Another that caught my mind just a couple days ago as I was watching the GITS SAC 2nd GIG was that there was an obvious scene of the Chief coming out of a car with the Infinity brand logo and even looked the same as a real life model.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:37 am Reply with quote
Youre much less likely to see product placement as much in Anime compared to American TV/Movies. American companies dont wanna advertize in something that may never even make it to the US and even if it does it wont be seen by that many people. And ofcorse if Japanese companies advertize in Anime were not gonna recognize it.
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
I'm not a car buff so I can't verify this, but apparently all of the vehicles Section 9 drives in both Ghost in the Shell: SAC series are real concept cars being developed by various car manufacturers (I think Toyota and Honda are the big ones, but I can't remember exactly). I'll have to ask one of my racer (not ricer) buddies who's seen both series about it later today.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
All the instruments in the Nodame Cantabile anime are Yamaha.

(I play on a Kawai keyboard myself.)
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Japanese broadcast rules say that shows can't use company names or trademarks without the owner's permission, which is why you see so many "SOMY" music players or "Bonda" cars. At least that's how I understand it from previous threads on this topic.
I've always wondered what the deal was with those odd spellings. It's too bad US companies can't use that same trick. Here it's like, "hey don't you dare use our signs that we've promonently displayed outside in public view in your documentary movie without shelling out some cash!" Rolling Eyes

Please Teacher! is practically a commercial for Pocky (er, I mean, Pochy. Wink ) Mizuho could be the spokesperson for those delicious snacks. Heck, that series is the reason why I now have numerous boxes of Pocky in my apartment. Please Twins! continues that tradition.

In Gunslinger Girl, when Jose gives Henrietta the camera, you can clearly see it's a Nikon. Total product placement and a really sweet scene too. (I wish I were rich. I'd fund a new season of GsG in second.)
gary leeman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
which is why you see so many "SOMY" music players or "Bonda" cars.

lol SOMY.
It reminds me of that old Simpsons episode where they go to buy a TV, and there are brands like "SORNY" and "MAGNETBOX."
"I think I know a 'Panaphonic' TV when I see one!"

Anyways, I also love the made up drinks or restaurant chains that you will see. I saw an episode of a football anime called "Shield 21" (I think) and they had a football player as the spokesman for "American Burger." I had to laugh at that one.

Again, a Simpsons reference comes to mind when the family goes to Japan and eats at "AmericaTown."
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
There is a huge Coke-a-cola billboard in the X movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TWXM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
What I was refering to is when companies pay to have their product put in as advertisement, not when a misspelled product name is used to avoid getting permission from a company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2