• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Pokémon XY Anime Trailer Introduces Ash's New Travel Companions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanechin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
CCharmanderK wrote:
Oh cool, one of Ash's companions is a loli.

bow chicka wow wow

lol
I hope she doesn't start pulling her bro's ear.
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Wait, Team Rocket is gonna become comic relief again?

WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT?! Team Rocket's been so awesome lately, and now the writers are gonna ruin them? Once Hoenn ended, they stopped being funny completely.

This is incredibly disappointing. Sad

To put is simply it was universally panned by the fandom and one of the biggest mistakes the franchise has ever done. Best Wishes as a whole was criticized for all the stuff they tried to change so they're going back to the previous format. I believe even the writers knew it was a risky move to change such iconic characters in Japanese pop-culture, which is why all the supplemental material for Rocket-dan still featured them as goofballs, from their Radio Drama to the live-performances the seiyuu did.

http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/features/radio_rocket_secret_empire/secret_live.html

Unless you live in Japan or follow Japanese Pokemon events, it's a bit hard to understand just how beloved these character are. It is also why people asking for the series to end or change the characters don't seem to understand what exactly they're asking. If there was such backlash from making Rocket-dan serious, then I can only fathom how much backlash there would be for nixing them, in addition to Satoshi and Pikachu as well. As for myself, I am very excited for the upcoming XY series. Serena knowing Satoshi from childhood is an interest retcon, and I hope she is more interesting than Iris was. Citron and Eureka should add a nice dynamic not seen since Advanced Generation with Haruka and Masato. I am quite excited for the series to premier.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Wait, Team Rocket is gonna become comic relief again?

WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT?! Team Rocket's been so awesome lately, and now the writers are gonna ruin them? Once Hoenn ended, they stopped being funny completely.

This is incredibly disappointing. Sad

To put is simply it was universally panned by the fandom and one of the biggest mistakes the franchise has ever done. Best Wishes as a whole was criticized for all the stuff they tried to change so they're going back to the previous format. I believe even the writers knew it was a risky move to change such iconic characters in Japanese pop-culture, which is why all the supplemental material for Rocket-dan still featured them as goofballs, from their Radio Drama to the live-performances the seiyuu did.

http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/features/radio_rocket_secret_empire/secret_live.html

Unless you live in Japan or follow Japanese Pokemon events, it's a bit hard to understand just how beloved these character are. It is also why people asking for the series to end or change the characters don't seem to understand what exactly they're asking. If there was such backlash from making Rocket-dan serious, then I can only fathom how much backlash there would be for nixing them, in addition to Satoshi and Pikachu as well. As for myself, I am very excited for the upcoming XY series. Serena knowing Satoshi from childhood is an interest retcon, and I hope she is more interesting than Iris was. Citron and Eureka should add a nice dynamic not seen since Advanced Generation with Haruka and Masato. I am quite excited for the series to premier.

Unless Citron and Eureka replace Satoshi as the lead characters, I am not interested.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
I stopped caring about this series once May left.

They should just have two new protagonists (a boy and a girl, each with their own Pikachu) and just retire Ash.

That will never happen.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
It worked for the Digimon and Yu-gi-oh franchises.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Well, they're different. Just let's these kids shows slide. Now to go check out American comic book adaptions on the television...
Adamb15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
I think it's worth noting:

Misty, May, Dawn, Iris, Eureka.

They just get shorter and younger.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:

Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh have never had the same main characters as long as Pokemon + those series are not as big as Pokemon
Jave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:

It worked so well for Digimon that the franchise doesn't have a current show airing or one in development Laughing And while YGO does it doesn't pull in Pokemon numbers.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, if there's any one thing that's certain in Pokemon, it's that Ash isn't going anywhere any time soon...
Which is fine for myself, since I find that the Trainers that will be going with him for the ride are more than interesting enough to enjoy this season to its fullest.
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Well, if there's any one thing that's certain in Pokemon, it's that Ash isn't going anywhere any time soon...
Which is fine for myself, since I find that the Trainers that will be going with him for the ride are more than interesting enough to enjoy this season to its fullest.

Not if they're disposed of by series' end and forgotten.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2