• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Hikikomori Festival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
If something is severe enough to make the news, I might allude to it, but it's like, I reviewed (for example) FMA Vol. 9 in April and never even noticed the cross/slab thing until it was pointed out months after the fact, and I'd actually read the same thing in scanlations over a year earlier!

Volume eight, actually.

shirokiryuu wrote:
I agree with the "Funny" and "Sweet", but not the animation. Although the color pallette was nice, there were many times I couldn't tell whether or not my media player was stuck on one frame, or it was really panning images of still piano playing.

Ah, this reminds me of how every seven out of ten people or so association the "animation" in anime to represent the art and character designs. Seeing comments in blogs such as "the animation in Ergo Proxy episode twelve has dropped" irritates the heck out of me for some reason.

Leebo wrote:
With regard to Nodame Cantabile's "realism" in presenting music culture, since when did a show have to represent a subject realistically to be enjoyable? It's a fun show with silly characters. It's not perfect and it's not terrible, but it's fun to watch. That's all it is for me, anyway.

If people believe that Nodame Cantabile is trying to introduce high and mighty classical music to the ignorant and appeal to the musical snobs, then they're definitely misjudging the series. Hell, it's just like Carlo said in regards to "it being like a shounen," (though a josei that's by far better) considering what the overarching theme is.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Patachu wrote:
If something is severe enough to make the news, I might allude to it, but it's like, I reviewed (for example) FMA Vol. 9 in April and never even noticed the cross/slab thing until it was pointed out months after the fact, and I'd actually read the same thing in scanlations over a year earlier!

Volume eight, actually.

Which further rubs in my face Rolling Eyes just how utterly unqualified I am to judge edits since I can't even remember which volume things happened in. (I'm surprised I still know which series it was from.) Them Japan-o-toons all look the same to me, hurhurhur.
Anath_19

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

FeralKat wrote:
Yeah, actually. I nearly choked on my shake when I found Japanese volumes of BokuImo in a couple of Borders stores in my area a while back. Shocked It was part of an experiment to see if untranslated Japanese manga would sell in their stores. (Priced at $12.00, when I could get it a Kinokuniya for $5.50? No way!!) Who picked BokuImo for Borders anyway?
Let's see, $12.00 for something I can't read or $5.50 for something I can. Hm. I don't know, that incomprehinsible text sounds mighty tempting. Wink

I'm surprised anyone thought that would be a good idea. The only untranslated manga I can think of that might sell well would be hentai and that's kind of a small market there. (I'm not expecting the hordes of people looking at it on their computer to rush out and buy it.)

Maybe if someone had included a translation script with each volume, then there might be a market for imported manga.

I just wanted to point out, that's $12.00 for something you can't read at Borders as opposed to paying $5.50 for...something you still can't read but at a different store. Very Happy Though, whoever thought that paying more for an untranslated manga when you can pick up the translated version right next to it doesn't quite seem to be thinking right... (Though I did see untranslated copies of the first two Death Note volumes at a Borders near me before it was licensed, that was awesome). Getting untranslated manga at Kinokuniya, though, is almost always cheaper than buying the translated copy...
Strephon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Eos wrote:
NoIDontWantEggs wrote:

also, Pantheon High's storyline seems alarmingly familiar to me
Percy Jackson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_jackson
Sky High
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_High_(2005_film)
(there are others but i can't seem to think of them)
to me, Pantheon High is a cheap rip off from these books/movies

I wouldn't say that. The idea of super-powered teens in a school with a rigid hierarchy is rather common, especially in anime and manga.

Besides giving examples from the last two years of an idea that's been around since at least 1963 (X-Men--a series even mentioned in the review) doesn't really prove anything except that genres exist.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:06 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Seeing comments in blogs such as "the animation in Ergo Proxy episode twelve has dropped" irritates the heck out of me for some reason.

I don't see why, I think it's a valid comment because certainly there are many anime that have a few episodes where the art goes significantly downhill, often becoming frankly quite bad, even in shorter, 13 episode series (though it's certainly rarer). Of course, I'd rather have a few bad moments and the rest be quite good than to have the whole thing be mediocre but consistent.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote
You're missing the point. Art quality =/= animation quality.
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:51 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

But the two are not independent from each other. Art can suffer from bad animation when the animators don't draw the characters well so their face or even their body proportions get screwed up and look different in every scene.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:24 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:

So... basically, everyone has to have the same tastes as you. That's what it means if people are not allowed to like what you don't like. I already understood that from the first post, but I guess this makes it more clear.

Clearly not, for you have misunderstood. I'm just saying that some people get flustered when they have different positions on the same point.

Take, for example, One Piece's artwork.

Person #1: OP's artwork is really casual, zany and childish, it's perfect for a light-hearted adventure story.
Person #2: OP's artwork is heavily exaggerated and poorly concieved; it void all sense of believability or realism in the show.

Those are, very roughly, opposing viewpoints on the same trait of a certain show. Person #1 and Person #2 start to flame one another based solely on these views, they're the people I'm talking about.

More on-topic, we could speak of NC's muted colour pallete; some think it adds a touch of realism to the show, and I disagree. Someone who says, "clearly that's NOT the case you idiot, it looks totally more realistic" is another one of these people I am speaking of; intolerant of opposing viewpoints while not attempting to yield more debateable ground.

Leebo wrote:

With regard to Nodame Cantabile's "realism" in presenting music culture, since when did a show have to represent a subject realistically to be enjoyable? It's a fun show with silly characters. It's not perfect and it's not terrible, but it's fun to watch. That's all it is for me, anyway.

An excellent question; some shows, either explicity or implicity, attempt to found themselves on being "realistic" in some manner. This puts additional burden on an author to make something "believable", beyond just "entertaining". Rurouni Kenshin is a prime example of this; because a theme of the manga is, "this is all exaggerations of historical incidents and people", the incorrect idea that people can cut the ocean with the backlash of their sword swings gets propogated. People are too easily duped by claims of "legitimacy" through science and whatnot.

NC gives off that kind of aura; it doesn't claim to be realistic, but given its genre, setting, and premise, people assume it "is". I'd rather people ignore this claim for legitimacy and enjoy it for simply being entertaining, as you do.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I suppose. I think it's more a question of getting people to use the "right" terminology then.

Sometimes it is the animation as well though, such as the aforementioned use of stills rather than moving figures.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

But the two are not independent from each other. Art can suffer from bad animation when the animators don't draw the characters well so their face or even their body proportions get screwed up and look different in every scene.

I almost said something about that. Yes, the two sometimes go hand in hand (i.e. when one goes down so does the other) but it still isn't the same thing. Animation is the actual, well, animating (making the pictures move) while art is pictures themselves and the details, consistancy, etc.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Leebo wrote:

So... basically, everyone has to have the same tastes as you. That's what it means if people are not allowed to like what you don't like. I already understood that from the first post, but I guess this makes it more clear.

Clearly not, for you have misunderstood. I'm just saying that some people get flustered when they have different positions on the same point.

Take, for example, One Piece's artwork.

Person #1: OP's artwork is really casual, zany and childish, it's perfect for a light-hearted adventure story.
Person #2: OP's artwork is heavily exaggerated and poorly concieved; it void all sense of believability or realism in the show.

Those are, very roughly, opposing viewpoints on the same trait of a certain show. Person #1 and Person #2 start to flame one another based solely on these views, they're the people I'm talking about.

More on-topic, we could speak of NC's muted colour pallete; some think it adds a touch of realism to the show, and I disagree. Someone who says, "clearly that's NOT the case you idiot, it looks totally more realistic" is another one of these people I am speaking of; intolerant of opposing viewpoints while not attempting to yield more debateable ground.

Has One Piece been on any of these RTO collumns? I personally think it should be scored lower than BR. I think One Piece is the most overrated manga series ever. The art is way too simplistic to the point that all the character designs look flat out ugly. I watched episodes 1-14 and I couldn't find a single thing I considered "cool." I considered what I saw a lot more lame than cool. BR actually has some cool things in it, even though it's not terribly original or deep. I watch shonen for exciting battles, not lame characters and unfunny jokes. OP is creative, but just because it's creative doesn't mean the ideas it comes up with are good. I'd rather have generic ideas reused that work than new ideas that are lame. OP should get the D, and BR should get a C.

On another note, I was disappointed when seeing a volume of Death Note got a C. DN has way better art, story, and characters than 90% of the series noted here.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Anath_19 wrote:
I just wanted to point out, that's $12.00 for something you can't read at Borders as opposed to paying $5.50 for...something you still can't read but at a different store.
My mistake, I misinterpreted what FeralKat wrote. Thought FeralKat was saying that Kinokuniya was another series that was in English rather than a store.

I'm not nearly so familiar with manga as I am with anime. I just assumed it was a title. Also, I grew up in a small, south Georgia town, so I'm not nearly as knowledgable about the sorts of stores that can be found in more urban areas.

My point's still valid though. Why pay more for something you can't read? Yeah the art is pretty but it seems like such an obviously bad idea to try selling graphic novels that the vast majority of customers won't be able to read.
Patachu wrote:
Which further rubs in my face Rolling Eyes just how utterly unqualified I am to judge edits since I can't even remember which volume things happened in. (I'm surprised I still know which series it was from.) Them Japan-o-toons all look the same to me, hurhurhur.
At least you've got a sense of humor about it. Wink
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

Laughing

I only have so good of a memory myself, and I've never noticed an edit in any art when it's transfered over here (then again, I've only three or four series that are editted, all by Viz). And typically it isn't just one person who notices these things in great abundance -- it's a whole mess of fans who take notice of this and come together to complain about it.

mufurc wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Certainly. However, whenever I see "animation" referred to, it's usually in reference to characters being drawn out of proportion or just plain awkwardly in a still frame. That people aren't bothering to realize what the difference between "animation" and "art" in an anime bugs me.

Super Ska Master wrote:
<complaing>

OP should get the D, and BR should get a C.

Yeah, because you're totally the dude to make a call on that one, considering that you have to start a topic on a review years old to just express your hatred for the series. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
On another note, I was disappointed when seeing a volume of Death Note got a C. DN has way better art, story, and characters than 90% of the series noted here.

Haha, he's a notification, kid: the second half of Death Note is medicore with mundane dialogue, ridiculous twists, sloppy characterizations, and a cop-out ending. Since Carlo is reviewing a volume that is part of the second half of Death Note, and he does not think to highly of it, he will grade it as he sees fit.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't see why the second half of Death Note is so underrated. Near is definately a pretty bland character, but Mellow keeps things interesting. I don't think the second half of Death Note is nearly as bad as people say it is. o_O

Well, unless it takes terrible turns past volume 9, because that's as far as I've read. I still think the second arc has some really cool scenes in it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Animation is the actual, well, animating (making the pictures move) while art is pictures themselves and the details, consistancy, etc.

I definitely see what you mean and I shall try my best not to complain about animation when I really mean art Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6