• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Hikikomori Festival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
Malintex Terek wrote:

Nodame Cantabile's popularity is annoying, given the anime (and sadly, sounds) horrible and has god awful writing; I've been told the j-drama is good, but since all the material seems to be pretty faithful to one another it sounds far-fetched when following the anime's script. At that, it is surprising that people can jab Bartender as being a cliché "what hobby can we animate next" show, yet take a blind eye to how superficially the writer(s) of NC represent "music culture". Really, it's little more than another spin on H&C, not that H&C was all that good anyway.

Maybe if you took the time to read Nodame Cantabile and see that it is worthy of an A-, your opinion would be more valid. Nodame Cantabile is a great series, anime and manga alike. Too bad you can't see that. Nodame Cantabile is not "just a spin on H & C" it's quite different, color pallete and animation studio aside. I'll pretend I didn't see the H&C comment, because I think the rating will prove it's a little better than average. How does it try to represent music culture? It's centered around the classical music genre and that's about it.
I agree with GoodLuckSaturday, where is all the NC hate coming from? Just because it's popular people want to assume it's bad now? Not all popular series are bad, that's pretty elitist. Especially if you haven't read the manga, who are you to say it's bad? Really, oy gevault.[end rant]

Anyway, I like the new Worst or Best manga ever installment. The review was hilarious. I'll look forward to more of them.

Nothing against Malintrix personally, but I think a lot of his post are kind of silly and not well informed. That's why I usually skim and overlook his post for like the past few month, because I wouldn't take them seriously.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Out of curiousity, is there an effort made to see if the English release of a series has been edited or censored? It seems like that's never brought up in a review (or at least not that I can remember.)

That's a very good question ... but honestly, I don't have the time, since I have to engage all my brainpower just analyzing the story content itself, and frankly, AoD is better at it (they have an entire subforum for edit/translation nitpicking).

If something is severe enough to make the news, I might allude to it, but it's like, I reviewed (for example) FMA Vol. 9 in April and never even noticed the cross/slab thing until it was pointed out months after the fact, and I'd actually read the same thing in scanlations over a year earlier! So, my visual memory is terrible anyway, and even if I had access to raws of everything I read, I'd totally miss it, because I can't spot the difference between crosses and slabs, or nipples going missing, etc.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Besides, if it IS edited, there is a good chance someone will mention it. Assuming its known when the column comes out, of course.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:

I could probably fill in some details...

Looks Great: The animation is really nice. Especially the opening animation and how smooth it is. They make the characters playing instruments exquisite to look at. The color pallette is muted but gives a gentle beauty to the atmosphere.

I agree with the "Funny" and "Sweet", but not the animation. Although the color pallette was nice, there were many times I couldn't tell whether or not my media player was stuck on one frame, or it was really panning images of still piano playing.

I've always heard of Nodame Cantabile in this column and others, but it wasn't untill I watched the anime when I realized how enjoyable it was for me. It certainly helps that I take music classes. But even so, it's a good series to cheer me up after school.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

I especially love the ending:
Review wrote:
Now, there are some "taboo" series that have been done well—I'm thinking Koi Kaze or Hourou Musuko—but I would not, among any of them, include "BokuImo," which should be killed with God's purifying fire.

By the way, was it ever confirmed that this showed up in a bookstore here in the US? There's a thing in the encyclopedia that mentions a newstory about some Japanese manga volumes showing up in Waldens and Borders.

Yeah, actually. I nearly choked on my shake when I found Japanese volumes of BokuImo in a couple of Borders stores in my area a while back. Shocked It was part of an experiment to see if untranslated Japanese manga would sell in their stores. (Priced at $12.00, when I could get it a Kinokuniya for $5.50? No way!!) Who picked BokuImo for Borders anyway?
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
But I've seen more negative feedback on the series in the past couple of months alone than I can recall from before then.

My guess at this would be because it was shortly after the anime series was announced... more people take notice of a manga once it's been licensed as an anime, and figure it should be good. So when people who normally would have nothing to do with the series start watching the anime, that started almost 2 months ago (7 weeks), yeah, it'll start getting more negative comments as a wider audience has access to it, with their varied tastes. And a lot of them, seeing the glowing reviews, will cry foul even louder, because they feel they should be heard... the sad story of the internet...
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:49 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:

Imagine this... other people find your descriptions about why it's bad just as vexing.

I wouldn't say that exactly, but rather the act of complaining about something people take to heart is what seems offensive; not everyone is as "mellow" as I about a respective favoured series, and some consider devotion to shows shows to be serious business. I need ony point a bent finger at Evangelion and Azumanga Daioh fans to reinforce this assertion.

A hearty thank you to CloverKuruba for providing enumerate points of detail that can be discussed, though I disagree with each. To other citizens, saying this, that is, that I dislike something for the very same reason others like that something, isn't acceptable.

darkhunter wrote:

Nothing against Malintex personally, but I think a lot of his post are kind of silly and not well informed. That's why I usually skim and overlook his post for like the past few month, because I wouldn't take them seriously.

I'm glad to hear it; I'd rather have limited knowledge with everything and be called ill-informed at times (a label I am not afraid to bear) on some matters than be knowledgable on everything and be seen as a weeaboo.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

I'm glad to hear it; I'd rather have limited knowledge with everything and be called ill-informed at times (a label I am not afraid to bear) on some matters than be knowledgable on everything and be seen as a weeaboo.

So you care more about what the internet thinks of you (OH NO I MIGHT RESEMBLE A 4CHAN CATCHPHRASE) than actually knowing what in the hell you're talking about.

Congratulations, you make no sense.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Congratulations, you make no sense.

I pride myself on having ignorance in some matters, since I'm both curious to learn new things and I enjoy being reminded that I am not all-knowing. On the other hand, I would consider being known as a geeky sage to be a vice, since when a situation arises as to when I lack knowledge while assert that I have it, if I am caught my credibility is royally crisped, especially if what I said remains in-print like on a website or in a magazine.
NoIDontWantEggs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
i've been reading right turn only and hey!! answerman for quite some time(a year) and i've decided that i'd like to join in the discussions

what i want to say is simple
buson renkin first started two years ago and i believe that the 'i want to be stronger' had been around for some time but i think people still enjoyed it very much
i think being in 2007 and having read countless shounen manga adopting this theme has affected your review(this is just an assumption)
back then, when i was reading buso renkin, i was really excited and i loved it
after reading the whole series:
spoiler[it was great, i thought watsuki ended everything in the 10th volume until the extra chapter came, it was splendid]

also, Pantheon High's storyline seems alarmingly familiar to me
Percy Jackson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_jackson
Sky High
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_High_(2005_film)
(there are others but i can't seem to think of them)
to me, Pantheon High is a cheap rip off from these books/movies
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
To other citizens, saying this, that is, that I dislike something for the very same reason others like that something, isn't acceptable.

So... basically, everyone has to have the same tastes as you. That's what it means if people are not allowed to like what you don't like. I already understood that from the first post, but I guess this makes it more clear.

With regard to Nodame Cantabile's "realism" in presenting music culture, since when did a show have to represent a subject realistically to be enjoyable? It's a fun show with silly characters. It's not perfect and it's not terrible, but it's fun to watch. That's all it is for me, anyway.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
Although the color pallette was nice, there were many times I couldn't tell whether or not my media player was stuck on one frame, or it was really panning images of still piano playing.

I have to admit, though I do enjoy the anime, I've found this to be a bit of a problem as well, especially in the spoiler[concert scene during episode 5]. It is sad that the animators apparently don't have a budget to let them have less still shots, but I suppose there are more important things, like making sure the music sounds right.
Shenmei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone else has relized or spotted this yet but I think the whole [/i]court[i] format is probably from the influence of PHOENIX WRIGHT.
Am I right? Or am I right?
Anyways, thats what it looks like to me and I like it. Unless, its from like, that Much Music verdict bashing show.

Oh yeah, I love Welcome to NHK. Just finished it last night after buying it that same day. And I think it got a fair review. (the suicide thing was pretty crazy.)
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
That's a very good question ... but honestly, I don't have the time, since I have to engage all my brainpower just analyzing the story content itself, and frankly, AoD is better at it (they have an entire subforum for edit/translation nitpicking).
That makes sense. I've checked out AoD's forum a couple of times for info like that but It's a little less structured and pulled together than ANN.

Has ANN ever considered having a columnist who does nothing but specifically address issues like censoring artwork and major translation errors? There's unquestionably plenty of people interested in the subject.

FeralKat wrote:
Yeah, actually. I nearly choked on my shake when I found Japanese volumes of BokuImo in a couple of Borders stores in my area a while back. Shocked It was part of an experiment to see if untranslated Japanese manga would sell in their stores. (Priced at $12.00, when I could get it a Kinokuniya for $5.50? No way!!) Who picked BokuImo for Borders anyway?
Let's see, $12.00 for something I can't read or $5.50 for something I can. Hm. I don't know, that incomprehinsible text sounds mighty tempting. Wink

I'm surprised anyone thought that would be a good idea. The only untranslated manga I can think of that might sell well would be hentai and that's kind of a small market there. (I'm not expecting the hordes of people looking at it on their computer to rush out and buy it.)

Maybe if someone had included a translation script with each volume, then there might be a market for imported manga.
Eos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
NoIDontWantEggs wrote:

also, Pantheon High's storyline seems alarmingly familiar to me
Percy Jackson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_jackson
Sky High
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_High_(2005_film)
(there are others but i can't seem to think of them)
to me, Pantheon High is a cheap rip off from these books/movies

I wouldn't say that. The idea of super-powered teens in a school with a rigid hierarchy is rather common, especially in anime and manga.
The artwork doesn't seem distinctly "manga" to me. Either way, I liked it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6