• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Hikikomori Festival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:03 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
I'll agree with both sides...
I like the courtroom-style reviews. Took a little getting used-to, but after that, it adds another layer of humor on top of your hilarious narrative.
But, I also agree that the cons, or evidence against, is a LOT harsher, as opposed to the pros, or evidence for, only getting slightly more supporting.
So, keep format, but ease off a little...

I'm not really a manga reader, but I read RTO most of the time. I think the new format is great. At the very least, it's more entertaining for someone who will probably never actually check out any of these titles. I think the "evidence against" should be harsh. Just because a title is good doesn't mean that one shouldn't be honest about its shortcomings. The final grade also helps to put the evidence for and evidence against into perspective. I say praise and decry each title to your heart's content.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

And thank you for reinforcing my decision not to read Nodame Cantabile... a shounen series with instruments... a concept worse than shounen series with bikes, soccer, or tennis... heh...

I think that just calling it a shounen series with instruments is misleading, because it really isn't shounen at all, it just does have a similar pattern. But it's not done in the bad, stereotypical shounen pattern (seeing as I never even thought of it that way until this review) but pretty much shows how it actually works in life: you have to keep challenging yourself so you'll improve.

But the manga itself is pure shoujo.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

But the manga itself is pure Jousei.

Fixed. It's not really that shoujo at all, just as H&C wasn't.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:

And thank you for reinforcing my decision not to read Nodame Cantabile... a shounen series with instruments... a concept worse than shounen series with bikes, soccer, or tennis... heh...

I think that just calling it a shounen series with instruments is misleading, because it really isn't shounen at all, it just does have a similar pattern. But it's not done in the bad, stereotypical shounen pattern (seeing as I never even thought of it that way until this review) but pretty much shows how it actually works in life: you have to keep challenging yourself so you'll improve.

There was something Chiaki said in volume seven that made me think "Wow, this is following the pattern of a shonen series," but it's definitely not a shonen series. I really like Nodame, and I'm not sure where all of this Nodame hate is coming from all of a sudden.

Man, the Buso Renkin review was harsh, but fair. It was seeing a kid made fun of for having a bad haircut.
manafairy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quote
Perhaps it's just my Phoenix Wright love talking, but the courtroom style made me enjoy the column even more than usual :3

That said, I'm actually not following any of these series. I read a little bit of the first volume of Busou Renkin a while back and found it insufferably boring and generic even early on. Judging by the review of volume 4, it seems I wasn't wrong to give it a pass. I'd say it's a shame to see Watsuki fall so low, but I didn't like Kenshin either, so I guess it was a given that I'd be less then swayed by his infamously inferior work.

The only other title here I've had any experience with is Nodame Cantabile, as it gets praise sung for it from every direction so I opted to give it a try. Unfortunately, when I finally did check it out, taking a stupid gamble by picking up two volumes, I ended up finding it really, really annoying so much so that I still have a volume sitting on my shelf unread some 6 months later. I guess it was just too shoujo for my taste, despite being a shounen title.

On that note, I think this is always going to be my favorite column on this site. The seperated, detailed pros and cons make for a very clean, organized, and comprehensible read, and the ending verdict statements now just add icing to the already well constructed cake. Regardless of whether you stick with the courtroom idea or not, the format now is, in my always humble opinion, the best that it's ever been. Excellent Work Anime smile
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:
But the manga itself is pure josei.

Fixed again. Very Happy

manafairy wrote:
I guess it was just too shoujo for my taste, despite being a shounen title.

The thing is, it's not a shounen title. I mean, just look at it, what shounen manga looks like that?

Today's moral: never joke about anime/manga because some people will not fail to take you seriously. (Once I joked that Miwa Shirow, the creator of the manga 'Dogs' must be female. I thought it was an obvious joke, but people are still calling me on my "mistake.")
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I read Welcome to the NHK vol. 2 the other day and loved it just as much as the first volume, though this one was far less comedic than the first one.

I read the first volume of Busou Renkin and, as much as I loved Rurouni Kenshin and wanted to like it, I was bored by it and couldn't bring myself to care about a single character or what was happening.

I like the Final Verdict which explains a bit why a series got a particular grade. Though its usually easy (for me, at least) to figure out whether the pros or cons were more series and more or less how you felt about the books, on some occasions, the grade can seem a bit odd after reading the pros and cons.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Now, there are some "taboo" series that have been done well—I'm thinking Koi Kaze or Hourou Musuko—

What about Angel Sanctuary?

I wouldn't put in the same category as Koi Kaze (I'm not familiar with Hourou Musuko). Koi Kaze, based on what I know, is focused entirely on the incestuous relationship and its complications, moral issues, and such. In Angel Sanctuary, the incest is dealt with primarily in the first two or three volumes and after that its not treated much differently than a typical romance and the morality isn't dealt with much. The incest is one plot point among many, its hardly the focal point.

[quote="Teh*Darkness]Still, an amazing read, if you're old enough to buy it.(M- 18+) [/quote]

Even if you aren't 18, its unlikely anyone is going to stop you from buying it. I didn't have any trouble buying Battle Royale and I was about 15 or 16 when it started coming out (I think; I don't remember quite when it started so I may have been a bit older, but I know I was under 18).
Gauss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
I'm not really a manga reader, but I read RTO most of the time. I think the new format is great. At the very least, it's more entertaining for someone who will probably never actually check out any of these titles. I think the "evidence against" should be harsh. Just because a title is good doesn't mean that one shouldn't be honest about its shortcomings. The final grade also helps to put the evidence for and evidence against into perspective. I say praise and decry each title to your heart's content.

I think the "against" section this week was over the top. Taking pro and cons into consideration is good, but it can hardly be called honesty when it starts to sound like a joke.
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
One last thing - For the record I do think Buso Renkin is a forgettable series, and not worth owning/re-reading. I did enjoy it overall, but it came off MUCH better in anime format.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Jane you ignorant slut... ;D Interesting new format. I wasn't ever sure just what you thought of a title though, until the final verdict. The views were so opposing that it was hard to get a feel for where the book really ends up in between them, so I have no idea if I'd like it.

Nodame Cantible... I just can't love it, precisely because it does remind me of shounen manga. There's the leveling up feel, and there's also the manic romance that made me just grit my teeth. I do like the supporting characters a lot, but I'd unfortunately kill off the heroine if I had a choice and rename the book Chiaki con Brio.

Boku wa Imouto... Heh, I read this expecting hentai twincest and got it, therefore I cannot call it a disappointment. But it's really quite disposable.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I see I am being misinterpreted as usual. (but at least it's consistent...)

Hay guys, Nodame reads LIKE a shounen series but it's NOT. (Same reason I like Beauty Pop.)

There's just certain girls'/women's manga series that borrow all the good shit off of shounen (the excitement, the characters, the uplifting message) without dragging in all the stupid stuff (predictability, confusing tech/magic/spirit power systems, cheesy names).

mufurc wrote:
Also, it's surprising that anyone would seriously think that Nodame Cantabile tries to represent "music culture". It just tells a story about some interesting people who happen to be music students because the author apparently loves classical music. (By the way, I have to wonder about the reviewer stating that Brahms' first symphony and pieces by Chopin, Liszt or Schubert are "music-student esoterica"... I'm not a music student but I know these pieces, in fact, I'd say they're pretty well-known.)

Then that makes you an above-average music fan. To me, the "common knowledge" baseline is set at "Would this piece be on a Classical Greatest Hits album or not?" I've known people who are so well-educated that they've actually read all the books on the All-Time 100 Novels list (and not just because they were on the list), or can recite from memory a ranked list of 20 Great Indie Rock Bands You Don't Know, and yet they can't draw the connection between Beethoven's 5th and "da-da-da-DUM." So once you get past the top-tier of pieces like "songs from movies and Bugs Bunny cartoons" and "stuff you hear every Christmas," there's a certain barrier of entry into the next level that involves actively seeking out such music.

So no, the repertoire in Vol. 8 is not pretty well-known, and this is speaking as a classical enthusiast who's been exposed to non-enthusiasts and has gauged where their knowledge level is at.

(And that's why I reserve the right to bitch about its representation of music culture as well. Wink)

Thanks to everyone who's commented on the new format; I can see now that the Evidence Against section got too "bash-y," and frankly, people on the forums do enough bashing to keep that aspect covered. Razz
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Love the courtroom style, quite sexy.

And the Best/Worst is a great feature. I was thinking of picking up BokuImo because Matsumoto Jun's playing in the live-action movie, but I really wasn't sure because, well, I'm not a forbidden love 'n incest kinda girl... or a smut fan at all. I would have wasted my time reading and watching this kind of smutfest, but you've saved me from it. Thanks!
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Kudos on the new format. I think that unrepentently saying both the very best things and very worst things you can say about a volume, then leaving balance to the verdict is a very handy way to guide readers to a notion of whether they will love or hate something. It's pretty entertaining too.

Malintex Terek wrote:
On topic with BR, a "D" rating does sound a bit hard-fisted, given BR might be generic but is 'a lot more daring' than something along the lines of, oh, Bleach, One Piece, or Naruto. I cannot really give much of a criticism beyond that given I've not read the series and am relying on the heresay of my fellows, but it's worth considering on the next fly-by.

I think your fellows were trolling you. I would recommend you read it before defending it, but I can't recommend that anyone read it. I'm a Nobuhiro Watsuki fan, and due to an excess of 'keep giving Watsuki a chance' sentiment, I've got 4 volumes of Buso Renkin.

It is not good. It is not daring. It is crap. I read Naruto and One Piece just because they are right there in Shonen Jump, and I collect Bleach because I actually like it. Buso Renkin most certainly is not on par with, as creative as, or nearly as entertaining as any of the manga that you named.

You say you haven't read the series, and I myself haven't read volume 4. I'm sure I'll get around to it someday when there's no electricity, no internet, no other book to be found, and no sales fliers in the mailbox, but until then it just keeps sitting on the shelf.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

Nodame Cantabile's popularity is annoying, given the anime (and sadly, sounds) horrible and has god awful writing; I've been told the j-drama is good, but since all the material seems to be pretty faithful to one another it sounds far-fetched when following the anime's script. At that, it is surprising that people can jab Bartender as being a cliché "what hobby can we animate next" show, yet take a blind eye to how superficially the writer(s) of NC represent "music culture". Really, it's little more than another spin on H&C, not that H&C was all that good anyway.

Maybe if you took the time to read Nodame Cantabile and see that it is worthy of an A-, your opinion would be more valid. Nodame Cantabile is a great series, anime and manga alike. Too bad you can't see that. Nodame Cantabile is not "just a spin on H & C" it's quite different, color pallete and animation studio aside. I'll pretend I didn't see the H&C comment, because I think the rating will prove it's a little better than average. How does it try to represent music culture? It's centered around the classical music genre and that's about it.
I agree with GoodLuckSaturday, where is all the NC hate coming from? Just because it's popular people want to assume it's bad now? Not all popular series are bad, that's pretty elitist. Especially if you haven't read the manga, who are you to say it's bad? Really, oy gevault.[end rant]

Anyway, I like the new Worst or Best manga ever installment. The review was hilarious. I'll look forward to more of them.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:

There was something Chiaki said in volume seven that made me think "Wow, this is following the pattern of a shonen series," but it's definitely not a shonen series. I really like Nodame, and I'm not sure where all of this Nodame hate is coming from all of a sudden.

Man, the Buso Renkin review was harsh, but fair. It was seeing a kid made fun of for having a bad haircut.

I wouldn't call it hate, specifically, just that, I DO NOT read shoujo, but most of my friends who read manga are girls, and they all try to tell me to read it... and I'm not a big fan of shoujo-style art, or classical music... so the series has nothing going for me...
I'm more into stuff by Sung-Woo Park...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6