• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Le Chevalier D'Eon DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
maybe i'm just nitpicking, but does anyone else have a serious problem with the accents? i mean the actors do a great job, but this show is about the French revolution and has a melting pot of characters... but everybody sounds exactly the same. it really kills the atmosphere.

Yes, you're nitpicking! Wink

Just enjoy the series for what it is. Detach that part of your brain, sit back and enjoy the wonderful ride that, I believe, this story is going to take us on.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Chevalier d'Eon is a great show, but I wish it had a much better dub, which going by the first episode streamed online, was atrocious. I know it would be asking a bit much from the voice actors to supply French (or at least ambiguous European) accents, but they all sounded too American. In addition, it was poorly miscast, as nearly none of them fit their roles well, and the acting itself was suspect. That's pretty uncharacteristic from a studio that has had a reputation for putting out quality dramatic work, yet they drop the ball on this one. Perhaps the rest will work out better, though the miscasting aspect is its own biggest hurdle.

The Japanese cast, in contrast, seems to work out better, despite the lack of accents (not surprising, considering the difficulties with English alone). At least in this case, the VAs did a better, more believable acting job in the first episode than did the English cast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
v1cious wrote:
maybe i'm just nitpicking, but does anyone else have a serious problem with the accents? i mean the actors do a great job, but this show is about the French revolution and has a melting pot of characters... but everybody sounds exactly the same. it really kills the atmosphere.

Just enjoy the series for what it is. Detach that part of your brain, sit back and enjoy the wonderful ride that, I believe, this story is going to take us on.

I agree, although in a perfect world we could have VA that could have the right accents, I thought that in episode one I didn't feel like it killed the story/mood. Are you thinking that you wished that cast had some more diverse VA like in Master Keaton?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I finally got the chance to sit down and quickly read this review and it's pretty dead on. I'd seen this title posted throughout adds, ANN and 'Newtype USA'. My first impression of it was,

"Is this another show similar to the likes of 'Revolutionary Girl Utena'?

Oh how wrong I was! Embarassed Embarassed

I finally decided to take a stab at it after watching a documentary about "rats" and how they contributed to the 'Black Plague'. How countless victims became part of the historical menagerie of creepy catacombs filled with thousands upon thousands of skulls and bones. And the strange religious cults that also existed around that time. I decided to read up on who he was before starting just to get an idea of who he was. It was a facinating read. I caught a streaming episode and I was amazed at how well thought out the story was and how they handled the whole matter of the original 'D'Eon's transgender issue to come up with such a highly clever and creative piece of work. Because of the way they handled it and what I researched it made watching this show all the more enjoyable. But you don't have to do all that to enjoy it. Hahaha! :lo: Again it just goes to show you how "anime" will make you question the ideas involved with the show. Wink If Tezuka's 'Adolf' can teach you something about 'WWII' then 'Le Chevalier d'Eon' can teach ya something about 'pre-revolutionary France'.

Character designs by the same person involved with 'Kurau', no wonder 'Lia Beaumont' looked so angry. Hahaha!!

I really want to watch more of this show. I really want to see where the mystery leads. I might even consider adding this to my wishlist. Again this was not a show that I would have considered watching, but every now and then I always give shows a try and see if they pique my curiosity enough to continue. And this one did. Smile
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Chevalier d'Eon is a great show, but I wish it had a much better dub, which going by the first episode streamed online, was atrocious. I know it would be asking a bit much from the voice actors to supply French (or at least ambiguous European) accents, but they all sounded too American. In addition, it was poorly miscast, as nearly none of them fit their roles well, and the acting itself was suspect. That's pretty uncharacteristic from a studio that has had a reputation for putting out quality dramatic work, yet they drop the ball on this one. Perhaps the rest will work out better, though the miscasting aspect is its own biggest hurdle.

The Japanese cast, in contrast, seems to work out better, despite the lack of accents (not surprising, considering the difficulties with English alone). At least in this case, the VAs did a better, more believable acting job in the first episode than did the English cast.

You actually thought the Japanese cast was much better chosen on this one?

Wow.

This is one of the few series where I saw it partly fansubbed (well, okay, only the first two eps) first, and I still disliked the Japanese casting well before I heard the English dub. Louis XV sounded much too deep, Anna sounded much too girly, and in general having 18th century European characters sounding Japanese threw me off a lot more than French characters speaking English. And I'll reiterate what I said in the review: they don't sound right voicing those Psalms in Japanese.

Oh, well. To each his own, I guess, but from what I've seen there are far, far worse English dubs out there than this one, as well as much better Japanese dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
v1cious wrote:

I agree, although in a perfect world we could have VA that could have the right accents, I thought that in episode one I didn't feel like it killed the story/mood. Are you thinking that you wished that cast had some more diverse VA like in Master Keaton?

but Adv did it with Air Gear, and Geneon has no problem with accents (Hellsing). i just don't see how it's impossible, aside from resources

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:

You actually thought the Japanese cast was much better chosen on this one?

Wow.

This is one of the few series where I saw it partly fansubbed (well, okay, only the first two eps) first, and I still disliked the Japanese casting well before I heard the English dub. Louis XV sounded much too deep, Anna sounded much too girly, and in general having 18th century European characters sounding Japanese threw me off a lot more than French characters speaking English. And I'll reiterate what I said in the review: they don't sound right voicing those Psalms in Japanese.

Oh, well. To each his own, I guess, but from what I've seen there are far, far worse English dubs out there than this one, as well as much better Japanese dubs.

I'll clairify my choice of the cast. I said that the Japanese cast "worked out better than the English one", but that didn't mean that they were necessarily much better chosen. For the most part, much of the cast is slightly unremarkable, as there are far better vocals that could have been extracted with the show. None of the voices stand out terribly well either, but what made it the overall better of the two was that they gave the more convincing performance and had the better vocals.

That said, you're right on Louis and Anna, though I'd like to add Robin in as well as one who sounded too generic (too old-sounding in the English version). I had a similar experience in terms of incompatibility with Rose of Versailles (Chevalier minus the supernatural craziness...sort of). A good job by the actors, but so strange hearing the same style of Japanese-speak coming out of the characters' mouths that one could hear in any other show at its time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
but Adv did it with Air Gear, and Geneon has no problem with accents (Hellsing). i just don't see how it's impossible, aside from resources

I cringed when I heard them attempt to speak French. They should work on their French because the location is in France.

[EDIT: Please do not excessively quote when making such a short reply. Only quote the relevant part and not 4 or 5 other posts. -TK]
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I thought the first episode that IGN had was a fairly mediocre historical mystery/horror tale. Animation was nice and l liked the conspiracy elements which gave it a From Hell-vibe (the superb comic, not the poor movie), but pretty bland characters and storytelling for the most part. But the end twist certianly was a pleasent suprise, even if its a pretty standard anime convention at this point. I guess a rental is in order to see if the praise is justified.
Urd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
I cringed when I heard them attempt to speak French. They should work on their French because the location is in France.

It's the same problem for Gankutsuou, Sakura Wars... I wouldn't understand what they say without subtitles. I wouldn't even understand they try to speak french. Laughing
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:28 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I admit I haven't read all of the reviews that ANN has to offer but this is THE MOST positive review I've read in a while of at title that I'm interested in.

Same here. i've read some very well-written reviews, and for some animes/mangas, the reviewerwould straight-out say if the plot or characters or pacing sucked, or if the dub or sub was severely lacking one way or the other. Critism seemed almost like a requirement for any review, so as to not appear biast. this is what i thought 'til i read this just now. It's really a fantastic-sounding anime, and i can't wait to see it now! Thanks a lot! Anime catgrin
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't Key have a favorable bias towards historical anime? Bah, whatever. Le Chevalier D'Eon is going to be one of the best releases in the U.S. this year, though honestly I wonder if that is really saying anything...

Regardless, ADV seems to have gone all-out for this release. By any luck the box that'll come with volume two will be one of their better ones.

Key wrote:
The opening theme “Born,” which first appears on episode 2, plays second fiddle to some of the best visuals likely to be seen in any opener this year...

It's one of my favorite openings in all of anime, for some reason. Visuals, as you mentioned, are a major reason for that.

Chrno2 wrote:
Character designs by the same person involved with 'Kurau', no wonder 'Lia Beaumont' looked so angry. Hahaha!!

It's for the better as the facial expressions portrayed in both series are convincing enough.

On an aside note, I'm also looking forward to ADV's release of Kurau: Phantom Memory. I watched the series fansubbed over a month ago since I became impatient and wanted to make sure it is a worthy buy, and it turned out to be my favorite Bones series along with Wolf's Rain.

Kagemusha wrote:
I thought the first episode that IGN had was a fairly mediocre historical mystery/horror tale. Animation was nice and l liked the conspiracy elements which gave it a From Hell-vibe (the superb comic, not the poor movie), but pretty bland characters and storytelling for the most part. But the end twist certianly was a pleasent suprise, even if its a pretty standard anime convention at this point. I guess a rental is in order to see if the praise is justified.

The first episode is rather haphazard and struck me as Production I.G. just having an excuse to use their skill of creating "purdy pictures," but it gradually settles down and becomes much closer to that of what one would expect with a historical piece. If you don't mind the mystical elements in it, then Chevalier is definitely a very strong anime that, from the first thirteen episodes I've seen, gets better as the series goes on.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Doesn't Key have a favorable bias towards historical anime?

Surprised you remember. Guilty as charged, although even with factoring that out it's still at least an A- grade volume.

Quote:
If you don't mind the mystical elements in it, then Chevalier is definitely a very strong anime that, from the first thirteen episodes I've seen, gets better as the series goes on.

Can't say I'm disappointed to hear that. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ananda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Sounds great! And I really like the seeting, the look and feel of "Le Chevalier D'Eon"
Look forward to checking it out.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like I scored.

I already watched the fansubs through episode 10 or so and was getting tired of the Japanese voices so I decided to stop and wait for the dub. Picked this one up for $20 from the ADV table at Ikkicon this weekend (and still two weeks before its street date)!

Now this review compels me to take advantage of my time travel and give this a fresh viewing tonight.

PS: I agree with the opinion above. The story definitely continues to improve as it progresses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3