• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome to the NHK!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Umm, wow. This series definetly has a more different approach to life than what I've seen of some other series about furiita type people. For one, I think this is the first manga I've seen where there is a character that sniffs up illegal substances instead of the regular shoot-em-ups with the good old needle. This guy seems to be very lost on what he wants to do. He has been a college dropout for a good four years now, and all he does is sit in his house doing all sorts of things. Nothing too progressive. Until he meets with one of his kohai from high school and they decide to try and start making eroges. And then that hooks him on moe/lolicon. Last thing I have to say is about this female character who has some kind of project going, and is trying to help out this hikikomori. Although it looks like she is a little lost herself on what to do to help him, she seems to keep her cool about the situation, which will make her an interesting character to watch for later on in the reading. Course, I'm only finished with volume one, who knows what I'll find from there.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the NHK! certainly is a very interesting manga. I don't know too much about it, having only read one volume myself, but I have seen the entire anime and believe that it is fairly similar and so expect many great things to come. While Satou's lifestyle is a bit extreme (as are those of the rest of the cast), the issues he deals with really are quite universal (or at least I think so) and the series really makes you think.

I was a bit disappointed with the ending of the anime, because while it was good I had been hoping for something great. But it was a very enjoyable series and I look forward to reading more of the manga.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
While Satou's lifestyle is a bit extreme (as are those of the rest of the cast), the issues he deals with really are quite universal (or at least I think so) and the series really makes you think.

I really agree with you there. After I read the first volume I wasn't impressed but after a couple re-reads I started taking more out of it and felt a connection with Satou (minus the lolicon). Being a busy college student, my time is either spent in class or at home studying and working on assignments. When my free time comes around (which isn't often) I usually choose to spend time by myself reading or watching anime. This first year of college has really driven me into more of an isolated living. All my friends went out of state for college and I'm here going to a local school by myself Crying or Very sad I've found that growing up and finding my place in society is hard and scary. Satou's journey out of the hikkomori lifestyle is one of those stangely relatable, not to mention entertaining, experiences that I'm interested in reading about. I think the 2nd volume (Tokyopop English version) is coming out early in Feb (although Amazon has a different date), and it's one I'll be picking it up.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:
I think the 2nd volume (Tokyopop English version) is coming out early in Feb (although Amazon has a different date), and it's one I'll be picking it up.

The Chapters site (Chapters = Canadian Borders, essentially) has it listed for February 13, 2007.
smoochy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
It's meant to be extreme. Satou is an extremely troubled person, and it shows. This was my problem with the anime, is that they toned Satou down quite a bit. I've only read the first two volumes, but so far, it's been really good, and I'm looking forward to more.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For one, I think this is the first manga I've seen where there is a character that sniffs up illegal substances instead of the regular shoot-em-ups with the good old needle.

Is there some kind of significance to this? Heroin has been present in Japanese society for quite some time, while blow (assuming your taking about coke) has really only emerged in the 1990's from what I understand, so of course its going to be portrayed in manga more. Despite the diffrences in effects and prices I'd say they're both equally hard.
As for the actual story, I'm looking forward to reading this. Initial descriptions led me to believe that this was yet another "tribute" to otakudom, but actual reviews of the manga paint a far darker (and from my standpoint more appealing) picture. A friend bought it so I'm just waiting for him to loan me it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
nitial descriptions led me to believe that this was yet another "tribute" to otakudom, but actual reviews of the manga paint a far darker (and from my standpoint more appealing) picture. A friend bought it so I'm just waiting for him to loan me it.

One character, Yamazaki, is definitely more of a tribute to otakudom, though it also shows the dangers of going overboard (he would definitely fit the Japanese definition of "otaku" which is quite pergorative). Satou does get drawn into this, of course, but his issues are different because he is a hikikomori and the series tends to look more at the issues surrounding WHY his life (and the lives of those around him) are so messed up (once again assuming that the anime was faithful enough to the manga).
smoochy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:
nitial descriptions led me to believe that this was yet another "tribute" to otakudom, but actual reviews of the manga paint a far darker (and from my standpoint more appealing) picture. A friend bought it so I'm just waiting for him to loan me it.

One character, Yamazaki, is definitely more of a tribute to otakudom, though it also shows the dangers of going overboard (he would definitely fit the Japanese definition of "otaku" which is quite pergorative). Satou does get drawn into this, of course, but his issues are different because he is a hikikomori and the series tends to look more at the issues surrounding WHY his life (and the lives of those around him) are so messed up (once again assuming that the anime was faithful enough to the manga).

Eh, it doesn't really glorify otakudom with Yamazaki. I see Train Man and Genshiken as, "tributes," but Welcome to the NHK doesn't really have any sympathetic characters. I think normal people are meant to be disgusted by these guys, and other otaku can say,"Well at least I'm not this guy yet."
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:

Eh, it doesn't really glorify otakudom with Yamazaki. I see Train Man and Genshiken as, "tributes," but Welcome to the NHK doesn't really have any sympathetic characters. I think normal people are meant to be disgusted by these guys, and other otaku can say,"Well at least I'm not this guy yet."

Which is why I said tribute, rather than glorifying. But yeah, Yamazaki definitely does not make the otaku lifestyle look very favourable most of the time.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Welcome to the NHK! certainly is a very interesting manga. I don't know too much about it, having only read one volume myself, but I have seen the entire anime and believe that it is fairly similar...

I'm up to volume 6 and can say with confidence that there are similarities but there are significant differences. I posted a comparison of sorts regarding some of the characters in the anime thread so I'll spare everyone from my tortuous ramblings here. Nonetheless, for sure the tone of the manga is indeed darker than that of the anime. The humour, ridiculousness and zaniness that were in the anime are in the manga but the manga mines the pathos and insanity angles more deeply. More than once I have come across scenes in the manga where I've said to myself "Oh gawd, this is bloody amazing but oh so awfully wrong (as in messed up)". Enjoy...
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:

I'm up to volume 6 and can say with confidence that there are similarities but there are significant differences. I posted a comparison of sorts regarding some of the characters in the anime thread so I'll spare everyone from my tortuous ramblings here. Nonetheless, for sure the tone of the manga is indeed darker than that of the anime. The humour, ridiculousness and zaniness that were in the anime are in the manga but the manga mines the pathos and insanity angles more deeply. More than once I have come across scenes in the manga where I've said to myself "Oh gawd, this is bloody amazing but oh so awfully wrong (as in messed up)". Enjoy...

Yeah, I've seen you post on the topic. I am excited to see what the differences are, and am expecting that in the end I will prefer the manga to the anime, if I agree with your assessment of it. Alas, it shall be awhile before I know for sure though (and volume 1 pretty much is identical to the beginning of the anime except for spoiler[the drug use]).
Subaru19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity I'm assuming the original Japanese title is "NHK ni youkoso" but is that true? I'm really interested in getting the original manga. from what you all have said about it, so knowing the Japanese title would be great. Smile
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Subaru19 wrote:
Out of curiosity I'm assuming the original Japanese title is "NHK ni youkoso" but is that true? I'm really interested in getting the original manga. from what you all have said about it, so knowing the Japanese title would be great. Smile

The encyclopedia is your friend: manga#5117

Quote:
NHK ni Youkoso! (Japanese)
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I read a volume of this and, thus far, I am not impressed. NHK's artwork is excellent, but as far as the story goes I found myself more depressed/annoyed with the main character, Satou, rather than empathetic/sympathetic/giddy. I've spoken with people who have told me the manga is outrageously funny, but I did not find it so; rather, I'm more curious as to the "hikikomori help" volunteer Misaki and as to why she is helping Satou. Oh, and Satou's hidden writing talent looks to be quite interesting! Idea

My initial impression thus far is that this is an average series, perhaps below average since it's being punted as a comedy/romance alongside drama/SoL but the former two genres do not appear to apply.
Subaru19

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:46 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Subaru19 wrote:

The encyclopedia is your friend: manga#5117

Quote:
NHK ni Youkoso! (Japanese)

Ah sorry. I forgot what site I was at didn't I :-p
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2