• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Off-Topic] Are you a Wapanese?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's kind of the same though, here. People have Japanese friends just because they're "Japanese", instead of actually appreciating the individual.

I see and agree with alot of what you said which pretty much sums up this thread but I have a question...what would be the point on having a Japanese friend just because they are Japanese? What would be the point on having a foreign friend in Japan? I mean I have heard people joke around with eatch other like "oh yeah thats my asian friend" but even though they say that, they only hang around with that person because they like to...right.
Miho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I think that Japanophiles are some of the most annoying people I've ever encountered. It's fine to have a interest in Japanese culture, but some of these people take it too far. Most of them try too hard to be something they aren't, and they think that Japan is some kind of holy country where every Japanese person acts like the characters they see in anime. Like others have said, Japan is just like any other country, they are no better or worse than the culture we live in. I really don't like it when people obsess over Japan just because of the anime and manga, because to me they don't seem to appreciate the country for what it truly is.
10円

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Quote:
It's kind of the same though, here. People have Japanese friends just because they're "Japanese", instead of actually appreciating the individual.

I see and agree with alot of what you said which pretty much sums up this thread but I have a question...what would be the point on having a Japanese friend just because they are Japanese? What would be the point on having a foreign friend in Japan? I mean I have heard people joke around with eatch other like "oh yeah thats my asian friend" but even though they say that, they only hang around with that person because they like to...right.

Multiple people I've talked to have confirmed that this is indeed a real issue experienced by gaijin living in Japan. It may seem odd and even cruel to some folks (including me), but token relationships are a long established means of drawing extra attention to yourself, just like the fashion accessory metaphor already given. If you ever saw the Seinfeld episode where Elaine was trying to hook up with someone she thought was a minority simply so she could claim she was involved in an interracial relationship you can kind of see what's going on. It's just the sort of thing that helps remind us all that no matter how far we think we've come, we still haven't come far enough.

The more negative aspects of Japanese attitudes toward gaijin aren't going to become obvious during a short stint of a few days or weeks; it can take months or even years before you'll encounter the worst of it. On the plus side, if you think Americans get poor treatment you haven't seen the half of it. People who look and act "European" tend to get treated better than many other gaijin. Even fellow Asians tend to fall into one of two groups; those who look and act just like native Japanese and get identical treatment and those who don't look or don't act quite Japanese enough and get treated like dog shit.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Masanova wrote:
Someone showed me this thread, and I basically felt the need to put in my .02.

Thanks for joining up; we could really use a lot more down-to-earth posts like this. I'm assuming (hoping?) that most people who read this and other anime related forums are moderate types who can readily understand and appreciate both the positive and negative aspects of Japanese culture and indeed their own culture. The people who actually post, however, seem to often come from one of two hard-line camps. Either they are overly fond of Japan or overly protectionist of their own culture.

Well I only get pissed off with my culture, celtic, when I hear people in bookstores act like they know anything about it. Yes, that cheap pendant you bought at Tower Records makes you celtic, jerk. That however has nothing to do with anime so I'm all cool here. Japan has a lot of beautiful aspects to it's culture. I love what I've seen of the actual countryside. I also had total respect for their public transportation system. I wish ours was as useful as theirs. There are lots of other cultures though that have great aspects about them. I think it's cool if you're any other nationality and like the Japanese culture but it's not cool if you're obsessed with it and assume it's better then any other culture.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:40 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

Well I only get pissed off with my culture, celtic, when I hear people in bookstores act like they know anything about it. Yes, that cheap pendant you bought at Tower Records makes you celtic, jerk. That however has nothing to do with anime so I'm all cool here. Japan has a lot of beautiful aspects to it's culture. I love what I've seen of the actual countryside. I also had total respect for their public transportation system. I wish ours was as useful as theirs. There are lots of other cultures though that have great aspects about them. I think it's cool if you're any other nationality and like the Japanese culture but it's not cool if you're obsessed with it and assume it's better then any other culture.

I've taken a few Celtic classes and understand where you are coming from in regards to new agers. I've also found many first generation Irish and Scottish who have gotten into detailed conversations about the Mabinogi and Tain with me. I love Charles DeLint's novels and short stories.

I'm primarily fascinated with what is often unfortunately considered pagan myths which is usually lumped in with new age. My Grandmother was very Shinto (although my parents lean more Buddhist) and I love the parallels between Shinto, Native American, and Celtic mythology. I've always loved tales about animal spirits and ghosts.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Miho wrote:
Honestly, I think that Japanophiles are some of the most annoying people I've ever encountered. It's fine to have a interest in Japanese culture, but some of these people take it too far. Most of them try too hard to be something they aren't, and they think that Japan is some kind of holy country where every Japanese person acts like the characters they see in anime. Like others have said, Japan is just like any other country, they are no better or worse than the culture we live in. I really don't like it when people obsess over Japan just because of the anime and manga, because to me they don't seem to appreciate the country for what it truly is.

I agree, there is a difference between likeing a culture and being obessed with. The worse is when at a convention or even on the internet they brag about how much they know about Japan or anime.
DKong

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Masanova wrote:

I've read up on this thread and I noticed some people mention, "Well I've eaten the food, and I like it.." kind of insinuating that they know the culture because they've eaten the food.

Well, I said that quote....but I never implied that I know the culture....I was just saying that some people try the food after seeing it in anime, whereas I am one of those people who actually ate Japanese food regularly before ever seeing any anime.
Asako

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
It kinda seems like people are describing Wapanese as a person who think they know a lot about Japanese but actually don't. Wouldn't that mean it's impossible to tell who is and who isn't by testimony? Shocked
Wandering Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm in love with Japanese language. I've always had a knack for languages (I picked up English almost entirely on my own, and so I did with Japanese--the only thing I lack right now is vocabulary, that's why I started taking regular lessons), and anime and manga were just a circumstance. Everything is a circumstance, even my liking of Japanese. I don't know why I like it, and I can't explain it, because if I did, it wouldn't be subjective anymore, and it wouldn't be my own farking opinion anymore. I just do, and that's all.

Living in a (relatively) backwater country, people over here tend to suffer a much worse effect from world economic disasters. The ups and downs of capitalism strike particulary ferociously over third-world countries such as mine, and in terms of academic formation and opportunities, Argentina is a country where a lot (a lot) of doors are closed down on you. Knowing this since childhood, it's kind of natural for me to set my sights onto living overseas. Of course, this is goes along with the obvious delusions everyone has about an object of opinion with which no real, truthful contact has been made--from the blind lovers, to the crude haters. What's more, people with actual contact with said object of opinion usually do have different views and opinions, because that's what they are after all--views and opinions.

So that's why Japan has been my target since some years. At the least, I dream of becoming a full-fledged Spanish-English-Japanese translator, and if I can at least spend some time in Japan studying translation, I could not put in words the happiness that would imbode me. To be able to put to practice in everyday life the language that fascinates me would certainly make me feel that I made something useful out of my life.

I know that if I move, even temporarily, to Japan, things are going to be rough. Very rough. But that's life for ya, even more in a third-world country like mine. And as long as you believe in what you do and receive everyday with a smile upon your face, things will turn out for the best.

The only thing that saddens me of extremists is that they try to justify themselves. There's no reason to do that. You like it, and that's it. No freaking need to explain it to people who would never understand, or who would never find an interest in it. At first I tried to justify my liking of anime and Japanese, but then I grew to realize that there was no need to do it. What am I, a missionary? An evangelist that must convince people to convert to my side? No way, man. Maybe sometimes hardcore fans fail in this point, and that's what earned them the adjective of "Wapanese" or "Japanophiles". Not that I'm justifying the people who made up these insults, because they're at the other side of the line, and are as much extremists as the western otaku.
Bratbat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I am 10% Japanphile, and 90% everything else.

I can tell you I like manga, but not anime. No, I am the exact opposite of an anime fan.

I am a Wes-mation(Western animation) fan.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking to minor in Japanese studies, a decision I made after getting into anime. Anime piqued my interest in the culture and language and whatever of japan. Does that mean, I'm a japanophile? I doubt it. do I go around mixing little japanese words into my vernacular? Hell no. Do I watch only anime, listen only to Japanese music and read only manga/Japanese literature? absolutely not.
Masanova

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Knight wrote:
Personally, I'm in love with Japanese language. I've always had a knack for languages (I picked up English almost entirely on my own, and so I did with Japanese--the only thing I lack right now is vocabulary, that's why I started taking regular lessons), and anime and manga were just a circumstance. Everything is a circumstance, even my liking of Japanese. I don't know why I like it, and I can't explain it, because if I did, it wouldn't be subjective anymore, and it wouldn't be my own farking opinion anymore. I just do, and that's all.

Living in a (relatively) backwater country, people over here tend to suffer a much worse effect from world economic disasters. The ups and downs of capitalism strike particulary ferociously over third-world countries such as mine, and in terms of academic formation and opportunities, Argentina is a country where a lot (a lot) of doors are closed down on you. Knowing this since childhood, it's kind of natural for me to set my sights onto living overseas. Of course, this is goes along with the obvious delusions everyone has about an object of opinion with which no real, truthful contact has been made--from the blind lovers, to the crude haters. What's more, people with actual contact with said object of opinion usually do have different views and opinions, because that's what they are after all--views and opinions.

So that's why Japan has been my target since some years. At the least, I dream of becoming a full-fledged Spanish-English-Japanese translator, and if I can at least spend some time in Japan studying translation, I could not put in words the happiness that would imbode me. To be able to put to practice in everyday life the language that fascinates me would certainly make me feel that I made something useful out of my life.

I know that if I move, even temporarily, to Japan, things are going to be rough. Very rough. But that's life for ya, even more in a third-world country like mine. And as long as you believe in what you do and receive everyday with a smile upon your face, things will turn out for the best.

The only thing that saddens me of extremists is that they try to justify themselves. There's no reason to do that. You like it, and that's it. No freaking need to explain it to people who would never understand, or who would never find an interest in it. At first I tried to justify my liking of anime and Japanese, but then I grew to realize that there was no need to do it. What am I, a missionary? An evangelist that must convince people to convert to my side? No way, man. Maybe sometimes hardcore fans fail in this point, and that's what earned them the adjective of "Wapanese" or "Japanophiles". Not that I'm justifying the people who made up these insults, because they're at the other side of the line, and are as much extremists as the western otaku.

Seeing as how I'm Mexican and I have an idea what that kind of stuff is like from having been to Mexico more times than I can count, all I can say is that Chuck Norris salutes you.

Te deseo mucha suerte en tu ambicion en ir a Japon. Ojala que tal puerta para ir a ese pais no se cierre.

(I'm a lot like you, but in the U.S.)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:

I've taken a few Celtic classes and understand where you are coming from in regards to new agers. I've also found many first generation Irish and Scottish who have gotten into detailed conversations about the Mabinogi and Tain with me. I love Charles DeLint's novels and short stories.

I'm primarily fascinated with what is often unfortunately considered pagan myths which is usually lumped in with new age. My Grandmother was very Shinto (although my parents lean more Buddhist) and I love the parallels between Shinto, Native American, and Celtic mythology. I've always loved tales about animal spirits and ghosts.

It's nice to see someone who actually took the time to be educated on the history of a culture and not assume they know something cause they like the artwork. I was raised catholic but my grandfather on my Dad's side made sure to always talk to me about my celtic heritage and it's beliefs. I must say I have been interested in learning more about Japan's Buddhist and Shinto history and beliefs.
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Japanophiles, eh? I really don't understand, and I think its normal that if you ain't one yourself you don't, I don't understand how could somebody love another country or culture more than their own (Well, there could be exception, like if you are rejected by your own country or having living most of your life outside it). Maybe my patriotism toward my Canada doesn't help my understanding. Sure it's interesting to learn about other countries (I myself is extremely interested by culture and history from all around the globe), but when you start to wish you were from another nationality... it's kind of weird to me. I do like Japan a lot, I would like to visit Tokyo, but as same as I'd like to visit London, Paris, Mexico etc. But then, I do respect people opinions.
DKong

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm not a big fan of America.
It's a nation controlled by the media (stolen frrom a Green Day lyric? Who cares, it's still true); obsessed with celebrities; where the top 3 google searches are Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, and Britney Spears; where MTV doesn't play music anymore; where there are reality TV shows for everything; people dismiss you unless you are a football playing pot addict (meh, at least that's how my school seems to work).....it's just disgusting.
I'm also not very fond of the nation's new cell phone OBSESSION, but I know that Japan probably isn't much different with that.

I'm not saying that I hate America, because I know it's probably the best country to make a living in, and it's got a good military and all that jazz (and culturally relevant, I like American music, too)...I just am NOT a big fan of some things that go on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9