• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Black Blood Brothers (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eruanna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I actually loved it... but then Iv always been a fan of all the old vampire cliches.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Just watch the last of it and thought the ending totally left it open for a freaking sequel. and the last fight wasn't even that great. The best part was spoiler[when Cassa's bro. interupted and Jirou jus faded back, dived forward and pwnd him, without trying.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I gave the series a Not Really Good (C+). The production values were pretty good from most of the artwork, to animation, and music (big fan of Toshihiko Sahashi). But I say most of the art because I couldn't stand that UGLY hat that Jirou wears. It's easily one of the dumbest looking pieces of headgear I've seen that I wouldn't even put on a goofy witch character for the sake of comedy relief.

I didn't like the OP. The guy's voice is weak, and the instrumentals sound like a crumby, punk-rock version of the Gekigangar 3 theme from Nadesico (I like the G3 theme, but this just seemed really out of place).

In terms of plot/characters, I didn't expect there to be so much comedy. It's a nice change of pace from all of the other brooding and dark storylines that a lot of other vampire anime possess, but it really interfered with the drama and action at all the wrong places.

Some of the character chemistry is okay. I thought the Company girl was cute at times, and I got a chuckle from some of the slapstick the first one or two times I saw it, but it gets stale after that because it causes a lack of focus on the real story at hand.

If the series were a little longer (24-26 eps.) the characters could've been better developed and the story wouldn't have felt so rushed. The action sequences towards the end are what I would've liked more of throughout the series.

I'm all for campy atmospheres (Angel Links, Busou Renkin, Gate Keepers, and the Saber Marionette series to name a few), but the short length and lack of intensity ruined the potential it could've had overall.
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the first person Jirou's costume reminded me of was Van from GunxSword.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
this show was the perfect definition of mediocre. every character was bland and unoriginal(except for the Werewolf), the fights were boring(though the last one was [pretty cool), the music was drab save except for the intro... overall it was just pretty much a waste of time, unless you really have nothing better to watch.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
this show was the perfect definition of mediocre.

Yeah, basically that was my impression of it. Here's part of what I wrote for MyAnime:

Quote:
I'm a sucker for shounens, it's true. Keeping that in mind, this show was really not that good, certainly not worthy of a 7/10 in nearly any way I can think of. Everything about this show was predictable and cheesy, EVERYTHING. The dialogue was terrible, the plot was somehow worse; although the plot sounds decent enough on paper... this is quite possibly one of the best examples of how not to do a show if you want it to be interesting and/or unique. The biggest redeeming factor was the blood sucking in eps 4, that was pretty awesome the first time. That was the one and only part of the show that couldn't be much better. I'm glad they had the balls to make it "better than sex", and the way the blood sucking was treated in this show was refreshingly reminiscent of some vampire novels I'd read a long time ago. (however, it doesn't seem the creators could resist, and there were certainly many stupid cliche elements such as vampires that didn't even WANT to drink human blood? ... how stupid and cliche can we be here? Anime hyperWink

I ended up giving it a "Decent"

EDIT: Oh yeah, 1000% behind you with that hat loathing Tony K.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
You know when I first saw Jirou's hat I thought it looked familar (I saw van of GunxSword in a AMV) so I thought it was kind of dumb of them to give him such a goofy hat, I mean he is a vampire don't give him a hat that looks like what a witch would where. The ending episodes weren't really all that good either I feel like the begining of this series set you up for a really cool anime and then they just flopped. I Love anime with vampires though so it being about vampires is a redeming quality for me. You know it actually made me think of Blade 2 with the spoiler[mutant vampires turning the regular vampires.]
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:30 am Reply with quote
Going with what Tony K. said about it being 24-26 episodes long.

Even though I liked the beginning of every episode where they show part of Jirou's past. His past seemed much more interesting then what was actually going on. So if the show was 24-26 episodes long, they could've started at Jirou's past, and gave us much more detail on how good or bad his past was. Then leading up to Hong Kong from which we go too his travels into The Special Zone with Mimiko. That would've been a lot better IMO for the presentation.

and yes, that Hat got to me too.....with Goggles on it none-the-less.
Any Main Digimon Character+Van+Alucard=Jirou
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
frouella

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
While this was in no way one of my favorites in recent memory, all in all I still didn't think it was that bad. No, nothing really new or ground-breaking happens in the story, but I don't feel like I wasted my time by having watched it. Personally, I think it would have helped if the writers would have delved into the backstory more, but I'm generally a backstory whore, so I may be biased in that view.

Character-wise, I like Cassa and Jirou; Cassa because she seems unrepentantly kick-ass, and Jirou because he's got an interesting past, angst, and smoldering hotness. And a dorky hat. Which, strangely enough, works for me, mostly because I thought he resembled a vampiric pilgrim (and given a recent Very Bad Experience involving pilgrims, his presence helped to counter my aversion to them). So overall, I thought it was okay and by far not the worst thing I watched this year.
echoblues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
While this was in no way one of my favorites in recent memory, all in all I still didn't think it was that bad. No, nothing really new or ground-breaking happens in the story, but I don't feel like I wasted my time by having watched it. Personally, I think it would have helped if the writers would have delved into the backstory more, but I'm generally a backstory whore, so I may be biased in that view.

Character-wise, I like Cassa and Jirou; Cassa because she seems unrepentantly kick-ass, and Jirou because he's got an interesting past, angst, and smoldering hotness. And a dorky hat. Which, strangely enough, works for me, mostly because I thought he resembled a vampiric pilgrim (and given a recent Very Bad Experience involving pilgrims, his presence helped to counter my aversion to them). So overall, I thought it was okay and by far not the worst thing I watched this year.

I have to agree with frouella on this. In fact I might even go as far as saying I really like BBB! I like the characters @ Jirou and the easy off story-plot. I think BBB is one of those anime that you can just watch and enjoy w/out having to racked your brain to figure out the story or really pulled you into em until you're frustrated! What I like most about BBB is its humor! Seeing Jirou, a vampire acting totally un-vampire like! Goin around in that 'coustume' of his, using an umbrella and literally baking in the sun! That was So much FUN! Laughing Jirou is not ur typical vampire, you have to say and its just his character that is so refreshing and make the anime *for me at least* a very enjoyable show. Smile
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Lord Kefka wrote:
Yeah, the first person Jirou's costume reminded me of was Van from GunxSword.

I thought the same thing as well. I saw half of the series... I though it was going to be good, but the story line was just the same old thing. I did like Cassa and Jirou as characters... but maybe if it was a different show with them. C+ at best. It could have been so much better.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

I just finished watching Black Blood Brothers, and even though I thought the show was pretty good, I have a few questions.

When Kelly Wong sees Kotaro, she immediately makes the connection to Alice, however, I am not sure, but I believe she had seen him before, is this just one of those things that they screwed up, or did something happen, or did I just screw up?

Also, was there something to water burning Jiro, because when it started raining, immediately he was in severe pain, but earlier, he fell underwater, his whole body and he didn't seem to be in that much pain, I know spoiler[he bit Mimiko's neck, but before that he would have been long gone before he had a chance to do that.]

And lastly, is there any news on a second season or anything, cause obviously it was set up for one.

Thanks
Martin_g

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I didn't notice a problem with the kotaro/Alice recognition thing but it's been a while since I've seen this and I can't quite remember.

I wouldn't stress over the detail about how much water/rain should hurt Jiro. but, maybe it was acid rain eh?

I really enjoyed the series and I'm hoping for a sequel also, but I have pretty much given up on the idea. It's been quite a while since it was made in Japan and there is no production has begun yet. In other words, the series wasn't a big enough success to warrant a sequel apparently.

I don't know about manga though.
sj21

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode and it was really good and kept good well rounded action through the first episode.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
In terms of plot/characters, I didn't expect there to be so much comedy. It's a nice change of pace from all of the other brooding and dark storylines that a lot of other vampire anime possess, but it really interfered with the drama and action at all the wrong places.

I actually would have preferred it if it were just dark and brooding. Adding good comedy to a drama worked for stuff like Buffy or Angel, but Black Blood Brothers humor just wasn't funny. Probably because it was awkwardly placed and had incredibly annoying music playing in the background. Plus I like some wit in my humor, which I just didn't get here.

That's why I didn't go past episode one..... That and IGN didn't provide anymore. >.>

So my opinion probably doesn't have much weight since I watched only one episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3