• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Reveals New 2DS Portable Console

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh and inb4 Nintendo 2DS XL
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
Little_Hawk wrote:
Oh and inb4 Nintendo 2DS XL

We're gonna need a bigger pocket!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:

I remember in middle school having a DS but breaking the hinges. It wasn't so much stupidity as it was that I just got really into the games. Embarassed

Someone here broke the hinge of the DS. Took off the top half and kept the bottom half as a GBA.

doctordoom85 wrote:
Of course Nintendo changes their mind and drops the price of the Wii U. And I just bought one last Friday. Sad Oh well, hopefully it'll help the console's struggling sales.

Stores typically have a 30-day return policy. Just return on Sept 20th with the receipt, and they'll treat it as an exchange with the new lower price.
Tukuyomi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
Funny little thing, that 2DS.

What would really make me buy one (in addition to my 3DS XL) would be if it was region-free.
That would be awesome^^
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
Tukuyomi wrote:
Funny little thing, that 2DS.

What would really make me buy one (in addition to my 3DS XL) would be if it was region-free.
That would be awesome^^

I would buy that too. Cool
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:39 am Reply with quote
No hinges is good for little kids. They break stuff all the time. I used to teach piano and keyboard to kids in grades k-3 and I can't tell you how many times someone forgot they had headphones on and went running from the keyboard, sending it crashing to the ground and breaking the headphones in the process. Or just some devil child that broke stuff for the hell of it.

Adults are pretty careless as well. Every cracked cell phone screen is owned by a person that probably too careless to properly operate and maintain a 3DS.

Having said that, I think billing it as a cheap handheld is dumb when it's still well over $99. As for the WiiU, I think the price drop won't do much. People aren't buying it because it has no games and none are coming until like March 2014 and later. Dropping price now probably just lowers what they make per console and doesn't spur enough new sales to make up for it.
stonehand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:51 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:

I remember in middle school having a DS but breaking the hinges. It wasn't so much stupidity as it was that I just got really into the games. Embarassed

Someone here broke the hinge of the DS. Took off the top half and kept the bottom half as a GBA.

doctordoom85 wrote:
Of course Nintendo changes their mind and drops the price of the Wii U. And I just bought one last Friday. Sad Oh well, hopefully it'll help the console's struggling sales.

Stores typically have a 30-day return policy. Just return on Sept 20th with the receipt, and they'll treat it as an exchange with the new lower price.

Wrong. Walmart has a 15 day policy for game systems if you want an exchange or refund.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
stonehand wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

doctordoom85 wrote:

Wrong. Walmart has a 15 day policy for game systems if you want an exchange or refund.

I didn't say all the stores. Regardless, he's still within the store's return date, so he can still return it then come back on Sept 20th for the lower price if he really wants to save. Point is he still has the option not to pay the higher price if he doesn't want to.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even know broken hinges on a ds was an actual thing. I put my ds lite through hell and it somehow still works flawlessly nary a scratch (well...the hinges are intact anyway). But considering the number of people mentioning the broken hinge thing, I guess it is a thing? The 2DS just seems silly to me. Not only is their the sliding button thing you can use to switch the 3d on and off, but there's actually a safety setting in the parental controls parents can use to completely disable it. Unless your 7 year old is just so damn precocious that he can crack your password, those are some pretty solid road blocks to protecting your child's eyes. Or perhaps parents don't realize these settings exist? Whatever, to me it's not worth it. You save $40 so you can have an ugly, hingeless, 2D 3DS. No thanks. If I didn't already have a 3DS I wouldn't be looking at this thing as a cheap alternative.
KazeFuu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
The concept seems something I would buy, but then I saw the design...If the price is low enough, I might be able to overlook the design but, seriously Nintendo, what with the portable brick?
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Hmm...is this cheaper overall than a 3DS is? because if so, I hate to say it, but this may be what I get instead of a 3DS. I don't need no fancy 3D component, I just want to be able to play newer games dammit. Razz
Tenchi wrote:
I don't have any money right now, but I was planning on getting a 3DS eventually, just to be able to play new handheld JRPGs. I wasn't going to use the 3D, though, because I've always found 3D to be a gimmick, and, in recent years, my left eye has been damaged to such an extent that the existence of 3D is moot.

I'd consider buying the 2DS, but I kind of doubt I'd be able to fit it in my front pocket without hinges, so I'll probably still get a 3DS anyway whenever I can afford it.
KazeFuu wrote:
The concept seems something I would buy, but then I saw the design...If the price is low enough, I might be able to overlook the design but, seriously Nintendo, what with the portable brick?
These comments right here! Now buy one once it's released and then PM me so we can exchange Friend Codes so we play games online together!

As for the brick design, I object with the iPad. So many missed details like the carrying case along with the version of Wind Waker with the Ganondorf figurine.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Some funny reaction pics:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3