• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Confirms New Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Second_Ignition_Yui wrote:

You can really assess my thought process just from a couple of posts? IMPRESSIVE. And what's wrong with being a purist? At least when it comes to certain things, like foreign media.

After being on the Internet for long enough, it only takes a few posts to establish hwo much of a dickhead someone is or isn't. So far all you've done is prove how much you are of one. Nothing is wrong with being a purist. Nothing's wrong with watching all Animation dubbed. What IS wrong though is belittling people and calling them mundane for doing so. Actual content or the quality of a production can be argued and what not, but how a person enjoys something by means available to them is entirely up to them and in no way degenerates them.

I mean, I watch all foreign live action movies subbed, but I do watch some animation dubbed. I'm not exclusivley with dubs because I don't always think they work the best, but I'm not so close-minded as to assume that Live-action dubbing and Animation dubbing are the same, because they're not. They're the results of two different mediums and the adaptations wherein (if that makes much sense).

Also you're a jerk. That's how I can tell Smile.

Edit: Finally though, if a production company, author, or anyone involved was against the idea of the product/series/movie/anything else being altered, subtitled, dubbed or whatever else to great personal extents, they wouldn't have agreed to go through who they went through, even if there are many levels. The fact that they agreed to it and continue to indicates that on some level, infact a fairly large one, that they do not care. This doesn't mean a dub is nessecerally the 'true' version, nor is it the 'original', but it's an acceptable substitute.

Of course this doesn't mean that adaptations can't be made without the author/whoevers not knowing what it is (or even knowing and disagreeing with it in public) but it's up to the end-user to decide for him or her self. Doesn't make them mundane or whatever.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I agree with tempest 140% It's what the viewer's dicision to choose which they like my, the original audio with dubs (that may or may not be translated well), or English dubs (which may sound better or worse than the original, and may or may not be translated well.) As he mentioned, the only way to watch it in its purest form is to learn the language fluently. Of course, those that watch the sub version's will most likely be able to cut out their losses in the visual area by learning some of the language (it can be fairly simply to learn the meanings of a few phrases once you've heard them and read them a few thousand times). This, however, doesn't make one right over the other, and trying to say so is rather, well, chauvinist and in a way hypocritical, you don't know the language, so reading it is just as "impure" as listening to it in another language...that being said, it would be really hard to match up to Tomokazu Sugita's narrations, I can probably say that one of the main reasons I like Shuffle! and Haruhi as much as I do is probably because of him, which is why I was looking for to (and waiting for the next ep of) Kanon 2006. Razz
Second_Ignition_Yui

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:41 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

By watching a film (of any sort) subtitled, you lose out on two aspects of the movie. First off, you spend time looking at/reading the subtitles when you could be spending more time enjoying and catching all the visuals. Regular watchers of subtitled films (such as yourself, myself, many anime fans, and many foreign film fans) learn to minimize this loss, but anyone who believes they aren't losing out at least somewhat on the visual aspect is deluding themselves. Secondly, regardless of whether or not you are hearing the original language audio, fact is you don't understand it. There's nothing you can do about this short of learning the foreign language fluently. Additionally, you are reading an adaptation that, regardless of the translators skills and philosophies, can never be entirely identical to the original.

By watching a foreign movie dubbed, you lose out because it is nigh-impossible to record a perfect dub that also matches human lip-flaps. Furthermore, the dub may not match the original actors' emotions perfectly, which we assume match the original script-writer and director's intent. Finally, as with subtitles, you lose out on the translation, but typically a dub translation features more changes than subtitles because changes are necessary to make the dub work in the English language.

Finally, when watching re-dubbed animation, the losses are similar as when watching dubbed video, except for the lip-flap issue.

On the up-side, with any re-dub, it is possible that the English language director and actors are better than the original language director and actors. It's quite possible that an English dub will match the original script-writers intentions closer than the original audio. Of course, there's no way for the English audience to be able to know this, so we can only compare the quality of the acting. It's not unheard of to have English dubs with better acting than the original material, keep in mind that foreign actors can be bad actors too... I'm sure that when Christopher Walken's lines get adapted into whatever language... the dub actor probably delivers a better performance than the original actor.

It is up to the viewer to decide which downsides bother them more. If they don't mind reading subtitles, but do mind liberal adaptations and not hearing the "original", then they will prefer subtitles (assuming the subtitle translation quality is high). If they mind not understanding the what is being said natively, and don't want to miss out on any appreciation of the visuals, they will prefer a re-dub (assuming the re-dub translation, ADR and acting quality is high).

The only way to fully appreciate an original is to experience it entirely in the original language. If you can not do that, it is up to you to decide what aspects you want to lose out on. Any one who thinks that someone who choses the other way is a "moron" is simply an ignorant fool and probably blinded by a misguided sense of elitism.

Sigh.

Well, my Japanese understanding is fairly ok. It's gotten to the point where subtitles are really just needed to bridge gaps in my understanding. I watch a number of shows raw and understand them fairly well. So, it's not as if I really miss out on much.

As far as dubs go, I'm don't really care much if there are instances where an English dub one-upped the source. My problem with people who watch dubs is that they base their opinions on the show around the English dubbed version. I feel if you're going to have this image of a show in your head along with opinions, it should be based on what originally came out. It really bothers me that people get excited over these adaptations when they should really just watch the original, even if it is worse. At least they'd have a more accurate and credible opinion.

Quote:
I've been watching anime for years, and Kashimashi has been my favorite show this year. There's nothing wrong with enjoying the show or even being really into it. I like it more than Suzumiya Haruhi and a hell of a lot more than Evangelion.

Well, you just have no taste.

Quote:
Meh. Melancholy was pretty good (it is one of three anime series I'm keeping a licensing eye on this year - Kashimashi was one, I"s Pure is the other), Evangelion was decent (I think i need to watch it a second time, though), and I started Cowboy Bebop something like a year ago and have only gotten through 4 discs (to show you how much I like that series).

Same with you.

Quote:
Also you're a jerk. That's how I can tell

Well yeah. I am.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:53 am Reply with quote
Well, ok - back to Kashimashi - I too am happy this one got picked up. This was my favorite romance show of the last year next to Suzuka and H&C2 - two excellent shows.

I can understand the feelings of those who want a dubbed release, but sub-only would be fine with me as well. Chances are, both the video and subs would be higher quality than what I've seen, as this was a lower profile show, and below the radar of most big groups. It's also always nice to have the actual discs with cases.

Another Girl<3Girl show to add to RichardJ's recomendation list is Revolutionary Girl Utena. The first disc of which should be in my mailbox tomorrow.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote

My problem with people who watch dubs is that they base their opinions on the show around the English dubbed version. I feel if you're going to have this image of a show in your head along with opinions, it should be based on what originally came out. It really bothers me that people get excited over these adaptations when they should really just watch the original, even if it is worse. At least they'd have a more accurate and credible opinion.

The thing is, when a show is a faithful adaptation in regards to it's dub, then it's as good as watching it as the original source. Anyone worth their opinion should realise that the quality of the story and other aspects shouldn't be detracted from a poor adaptation. In that regard I agree with you, but I don't meet many people like that. People are a weird, diverse, eclectic bunch though subject to many different quirks and preferences though.

Quote:

Well, you just have no taste.

Taste is also completely relative and also not always devoid. I could easily say that you have no taste given your probable interest in Japanese-animated prepubescant girls, or whingy, uppity, "so much bettar than u because of cultural references to russian novels n shit" cartoons about 14 year old rapebait and arrogant, attention whoring know-it-all emo shitstains hanging around and whinging under the pretense of 'comedy'. Of course, this isn't always accurate, but it's just as valid in regarding you having no taste. The lesson here? We all have taste, we just don't always have to agree on it, and as far as I know, you're just another Anime fan, regardless of how much more arrogant you are than others.

Quote:
Well yeah. I am.

The charm isn't there when you don't have the proper tact (or lack thereof, or dry wit to substitute) to fill it in. The thing is, you're a Jerk, but you're also far too proud and conceited about what you're into which makes you inflexible and wholly boring. If you were less serious about how you were a jerk and actually able to take potshots at yourself, not trying to put yourself on some podium because you're the only cynic in the world like you (no, you aren't, and as hipocritical as it sounds, I've been doing a bunch of soul-searching. Deal), then it'd be acceptable. However all you are is, well, exactly what I described, only it's the bad variety. Smile
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

My problem with people who watch dubs is that they base their opinions on the show around the English dubbed version. I feel if you're going to have this image of a show in your head along with opinions, it should be based on what originally came out. It really bothers me that people get excited over these adaptations when they should really just watch the original, even if it is worse. At least they'd have a more accurate and credible opinion.

The thing is, when a show is a faithful adaptation in regards to it's dub, then it's as good as watching it as the original source. Anyone worth their opinion should realise that the quality of the story and other aspects shouldn't be detracted from a poor adaptation. In that regard I agree with you, but I don't meet many people like that. People are a weird, diverse, eclectic bunch though subject to many different quirks and preferences though.
I agree with Steven--what's the real difference between the crystalline-pure original and the sullied adaptation other than the voices being in a different language? Unless you're talking about something that's heavily edited like One Piece, or intentionally dubbed "inaccurately" like Ghost Stories, there's no difference in the story, music, or visuals--it's still the same content, just a different path to receieve it.

As an example, last year I saw the venerated Azumanga Daioh fansubs that launched one of today's premiere groups. And lately, I've been watching the English dub via the ADV DVDs. Heresy though it may be, I'm almost to the point of liking it better in English, from Chiyo-chan's voice to the occasionally localized joke. Is anything really lost if Yukari says she's Mia Hamm instead of "Nakata"?
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
As an example, last year I saw the venerated Azumanga Daioh fansubs that launched one of today's premiere groups. And lately, I've been watching the English dub via the ADV DVDs. Heresy though it may be, I'm almost to the point of liking it better in English, from Chiyo-chan's voice to the occasionally localized joke. Is anything really lost if Yukari says she's Mia Hamm instead of "Nakata"?

I've watched AD in both subs and dub (though often with the subs on for comparison) and there are definitely some points where I find the dub funnier--the line delivery when Kimura-sensei tells Kaorin "Let's tango, baby" in the dub is hilarious.

More to the general point, if it's a case of a topical reference where the specifics don't matter that much, I'd often rather have the joke localized (with a note explaining the change) than have it left alone but explained in a note. This has to be taken on a case-by-case basis, of course, but if something is supposed to be funny I'd rather get the reference and laugh than hear the joke, look it up, and think, "Ah, this is why somebody from Japan would find this funny." While this can be taken too far, I watch entertainment to be entertained, and accuracy is often less entertaining than carefully-selected inaccuracy.

(Occasionally a joke can be funnier for not making any sense at all, but that's rare. The best example I can think of is in "Assmble Insert"; there's a joke about a famous accordion player that gets a huge build-up. The fansub I originally saw it in didn't explain the joke, and the resulting moment is so bafflingly bizarre that it stuck with me much more than it would have otherwise. The "No, not a city council member, a real fossilized bird!" joke in Urusei Yatsura is in a similar category.)
Second_Ignition_Yui

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
I like Japanese things. Part of why I like anime is because it's Japanese. So when I watch it, I like it to be in the original Japanese. There.

I don't feel like going any further. This isn't fun anymore.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote

I don't feel like going any further. This isn't fun anymore.

1. That isn't up to you to decide Mr. Wappitywapwap

2. This wasn't fun in the first place Smile
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Wonders how his post started such a war of wits.

Well, at least it looks like Steventheeunuch has achieved a win.

And all I ever intended was the say that I wanted to see a dub on Kashimashi since a sub-only release would be a) a sign that MB didn't think the series was marketable to any group besides the ultra niche and b) I wouldn't be buying it since I actually like dubs. (I complain about some things in them, but I still like them.)

My eyesight is terrible and reading subtitles gives me headaches. It's actually quite painful for me to read subtitles. I physically suffer watching unlicensed anime, I'm not going to go through the pain after paying hard cash for licensed product.

Plus, I find it very difficult to form an emotional attachment to characters I can't understand without reading their lines.

Besides, can't we all agree that having the choice between sub and dub is better overall? Sub fans still get their pure Japanese performance, dub fans get to hear something they can understand without getting eyestrain, and the licensing company wins by selling a product that is versatile and has a larger potential buyer pool.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Well, at least it looks like Steventheeunuch has achieved a win.

Oh god winning on the internet is pretty bad, don't say that Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4