• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach English Dub Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with the youtube people the dub sound different
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Yeah, that's what I first thought, but then the rest of the post confused me. I don't remember Urahara ever talking effeminately.

He's a little effeminate (refers to himself as "atashi"), and as I kind of said before, he has a tendency to act a little flamboyantly.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
I have to agree with the youtube people the dub sound different

Of course it does. Different languages rarely sound the same
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
DELETE.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
KirbyStamped wrote:
You know, I'd just like to take this moment to point out the irony of the people who're complaining about the dubs and the perversion of the Japanese language right now are also probably enjoying the recent release of the full version of the 4th Bleach opening, which is by the band Beat Crusaders. Just thought I would point that out (Beck fans'll probably get it =P)...

Bing bong!! "Tonight TONIGHT Tonight" is a great example (BTW, Beat Crusaders kick at Engrish, lol). If you want an example of perversion of the English language, listen to "Red Fraction" by MELL, the OP theme of Black Lagoon. If you want your ears to bleed, try transliterating the lyrics to "Why, Why Not" the ED theme to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
Mihara

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
So...did anyone catch the YTV airing?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
By the way, Michelle Ruff in Eureka Seven? I don't seem to recall her... Which character is she in Eureka Seven? Or has her character not debuted yet?

She's talking about the Eureka 7 video game, not the anime. The game will, from what I've read, be a prequel and will feature characters that aren't in the series. (Of course, maybe she's also voicing a character we haven't seen that is also in the game. That would rock!)

Here's what Michelle said in the interview:
Interview wrote:
I actually have some video game stuff coming out. Rogue Galaxy, Eureka Seven.

I added the empthasis. She's definately talking about the game.

By the way, since you mentioned IGPX in your post, have you been getting the uncut DVDs? They're worth buying for the original shorts and the interviews (All of which have so far been of decent length and with okay questions.)
Someone_II

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Mihara wrote:
So...did anyone catch the YTV airing?

Still another hour untill the eastern airing and three untill the western one.

Edit: Whoops it's airing right now (8:38 GMT). what a week of school will do to ones perception of time is painfully incredible.
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Same thing over and over.. and website is allowed to interview English voice actors and now the dub is gonna be great.
A real anime fan should care about the script over VA's. The Script and Voice Directing is what fans of said series should be worried about, not the voice actors.
You should care less who is speaking and more about what is being said and in what characterization is being changed.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
People are gonna complain regardless. I mean, look at the Crayon Shinchan dub. You can't really expect the companies to match the VA's to the characters easily. Just gonan wait and see it for myself.

Now back to looping that Swimcon commercial on Youtube.
__larissa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I caught the YTV airing. I was pretty impressed by it. Half the lines were exactly (or almost exactly) the same as the subs I watched.
JackCox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Was that Michael Lindsay playing Kon?
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Hagakure|Returns wrote:
NezuChiza wrote:
The person who wrote the article needs to be a bit more careful with what they say. The sentence "Viz's smash hit supernatural action series has become an international phenomenon since its debut in the pages of Shonen Jump back in 2002." implies that Viz created the series, rather than just licensing it once they caught on to how popular it was becoming. Viz had nothing to do with creating the series, they merely picked it up. To imply otherwise is just wrong, and belittles those who actually MADE the anime. Next time give credit where credit is due rather than passing the buck onto someone who merely bought something others made.
You can't be serious right. It's simply implying that Viz own the right to the series that was a smash hit back in 2002.
So, can we also say, "ADV's hit series Neon Genesis: Evangelion has generated controversy ever since it hit the airwaves in 1996? I wouldn't think so. It is a hit series now, but the context of its creation, ADV wasn't involved. I'm not trying to make a big deal about this, but considering how people on this site are oh-so-quick to criticize fansub groups for putting "AnimeGroupies Presents Strawberry Panic" in files, I think it's something that needs to be said.
Hagakure|Returns wrote:
But it's very hypocritical to call out American VA mispronouncing Japanese term when the majority of Japanese VA misprounce simple English term. Such as watching Hoop Day when the word "nice shot" becomes Nice Shoto. Saber becomes Say-BAA. Well it's just their natural way of speaking so they have tend to Japanize American term and I'm not gonna fully blame them for the terrible engrish they put in japanese dub.
This issue often comes up in sub/dub discussions, and I respond the same way every time. I don't think it's too hypocritical. Why? Because as I'm sure we all know, Japanese and English are different. I don't want to over-simplify, but getting Japanese pronunciations right is largely a matter of using sounds that we English speakers already have in our phonetic arsenal, and adjusting the line-readings accordingly. So, if you come across a name like "Hitoshi," you tell the actor, "Hey, say that O like in 'toe,' and say those I's like in 'heat,' not like the I in 'hit'."
But, if you ask a Japanese VA to read off accurate English, you're asking him to produce sounds that don't exist in Japanese, and to string consonants together, to end words with consonants aside from n, and to create emphasis and rhythm with stressed syllables, when none of that stuff occurs in Japanese.
That's why I have different expectations of VAs, not because of blind purist fanboy admiration for the Japanese, but because of tangible differences in the languages and those who speak them. Do I expect perfection from the English VAs? No, but imnsho, errors in short, simple words/names stem from inadequate direction, laziness, or ignorance. I don't expect them to flawlessly nail 5+ syllable names or do the precise toungue-flap for "r" or to execute the teeth-on-lower-lip fu/hu sound as well as a Japanese native speaker.
Take the dub of X TV, for instance. It's a bit older and not the greatest dub ever, but they get most of the names right--Kotori could easily have been "KuhTOHri," but most of the actors get the O sounds right, and some even do the flapped R. It would have been easy to pronounce Karen as the typical English version of the name, but they said it correctly. (Bandai did this properly with Karen in Please Twins!, though ADV has a track record of changing Karin > [eng]Karen, Kaede > Katie) Some names like Yuzuriha in X are a bit off the mark, but I can forgive them for that.

Did you bother even reading my post. Viz and Shushia are almost 1 in the same company. Technically their parent company created Bleach and Viz help made it a success in the US.

But then fanboy will find any reason to complain. Rolling Eyes
Someone_II

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:25 am Reply with quote
From this Canadian dub-watcher's perspective: Wow...just wow. I was expecting a good dub, but this surpassed my expectations. Sure, it's not the pest dub arround, and sure, given the profile of the show, they were bound to produce a good dub, but this was even better than I expected. Bosch will take some getting used to, but it felt almost completly natural by the end. Ruff aced Rukia; when I first read the manga over two years ago (how time flies) that is exactly what I expected. Her japnenese voice took about an episode to get used to, but here, right off the bat, BAM! Perfect pitch, tone and delivery (IMHO).

If any purist is in any way dissatisfied with this presentation (the left the kanji intact everywhere but the opening, they even left the TV tokyo logo in, the dub was great, etc.) they probably havn't seen the damn thing.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, I watched Bleach yesterday on YTV too and I must say: the dub is not laden with edits (and I can tell even due to the fact that I never saw it fansubbed!). Blood and language was accounted for. Not a voice fell flat, and Ichigo and Rukia were the shining stars.

However, it's not the dub that I'm disappointed with. The opening theme was extremely bizarre and far away from the show's mood. And it definetely looks like it would be the original opening too (but again, I don't know for sure), the ending theme was nothing special either. The first episode also seemed overly goofy, I was hoping it would be a bit more serious. Regardless, the action, animation, characters, story, etc. all brought what I was expecting; this is definetly a start of a great series.

But anyway, if the dub keeps up this pace it may be the best dub ever for an anime series!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9