• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Senki Zesshō Symphogear (TV) (5 seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
like that dark magician girl design.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
So we add a witch and an angry angry flatchest to the cast. I'm cool with that. Tsubasa still has those stupid looking leg blades but at least they see some awesome use. Chun Li would be proud.

Really good 2nd episode. The fight scenes were very entertaining and that finisher had a great feel to it.

EDIT: Ep3

G seems to be on the up and up. I loved Chris' song and there's some cool plot this episode. Also fanservice. Also badassedness.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:51 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

"Bang". I think my approval of Chris just shot up, we did get a bit more of her after all, which is nice.

I don't quite understand why the villains would explain so much.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:22 am Reply with quote
Clearly for the benefit of the viewer:) The show has a loving sense od oldskool camp to it so it wouldn't shock me. And I appreciate that touch of silliness.

"I will now summarize what I know in internal monologue." is a lovable staple villain trait. At least it's less awkward than characters telling other characters things they'd all know for the benefit of the viewer... Oh wait. They do that too:)

Darn I love this show.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 episode 3
Hmm, episode went past really fast for me this week. Anyways, I senses some major drama soon but hoping for the best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! We get a totally badass first half and a fun 2nd half. The combat is pretty well done here. I've been fairly impressed each episode so far. Hope everyone remembers season 1 because all that plot will be on tonight's exam.

Watching this and Neptune back to back is going to give me a bodysuit-clad ass overload.

When the Kiri-grabbing-by-the-tree bit happened I practically saw the doujin artists pause the episode and get to work. I'll be bloody AMAZED if they don't take full advantage of that lingering pose. I don't ship but if I did that sure as heck would win one over to me.

Some more good Chris this episode too. Loved that ending.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:53 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4

Took me a while to recall the whole Fine thing was the villain of season 1, made me think that these guys are just opportunistic copy cats that are lucky with some good resources. But they spoiler[implied towards the middle or so that Maria is indeed losing herself to Fine]. Interestingly I found it odd that I did not consider the first combat bits a fight, and then I realized because it is not a real fight in this show until someone is singing

Seems great that Chris got "normal" friends that are not turned off by her tough exterior. Just thinking a bit but I am pretty sure Chris is my favourite, so I am liking the focus. But I also am liking the Kirika girl, by itself the resemblance strange resemblance to Dark Magician Girl might be something, but her normal look is also moe, as is her personality. Moe, my (highly exaggerated) only weakness.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone watched the new episode via live stream? We got some Kirika and Shirabe duet, more Kirika/Shirabe, and nice Chris/Kirika double dialogue and blushing. The ending, however............... O_O
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Yup. That happened.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of another Magical Girl show where a main character lost a body part . . .
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Well I wasn't expecting that. I've got to hand it to them, Symphogear G has a real arm up on the first season and a great grasp on how to end their episodes in an ultimate cliffhanger. We do get to see what's possibly the dumbest costume ever in a certain flashback.

This is also the only show I know of where they could just release a certain character's dialogue as a drama CD and call it a series recap.

EDIT: By the way the new Megami AND Nyantype magazines both have great Symphogear posters in them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 5

Holly cow, what an episode.

First with a duet from Kirika and Shirabe singing spoiler[Orbital Beat, this was the song that Tsubasa and Kanade did a duet of at the very beginning of the series]. At first leaving the feeling that it might be an insult, but leaned more towards that these two girls are likely partners just like Tsubasa and Kanade were. The whole partner thing was echoed again later in the episode when we found out that Maria had spoiler[lost her little sister, Serena, when she did a Swan Song to save everyone, something quite similar to Kanade].

That doctor truly is evil in attacking people so easily, something Maria obviously does not want to do, and it looks like "Ma'am" is using guilt to control Maria. I would not be surprised if it is revealed that she spoiler[is not disabled at all, and is just using it to throw into Maria's face that it is her fault, although she might have just gone a bit crazy from the events herself].

Towards the end of the episode I was really appreciating how cool Hibiki's character song was, butspoiler[ then that guy knew exactly how to shake her resolve, and at the worst possible time. It bit of her arm], this obviously brought to mind a certain magical girl anime. Good work done there, now I need to see what happens next, will we get to see some berserk mode?
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
Heh, I wasn't ready for that ending honestly...for the latest episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, what a counter twist, I think. spoiler[ That Nephilim was actually meant to be Hibiki's dinner. One-armed Hibiki turns into a berserking Naruto knock-off and annihilates the Nephilim and the other Noise with pure ease. Ver's breakdown is hilarious. Unfortunately, Hibiki does not destroy its heart. Hibiki's lost arm is back, by the way.]

spoiler[ According to some live stream watchers, Tsubasa tells Hibiki not to use her Symphogear.

Some nice DMG/Buzzkill (that is Kirika/Shirabe for those who do not know) running-while-holding-hands moment.

Seriously, what is up with Satelight's pervy shots of Maria?

Sugita finds the Nephilim's heart and goes into war with Hibiki who is with her waifu Miku and friends. No shocking ending this time. Just Hibiki kicking Ver's Noise minions' butt.]

Last edited by John Hayabusa on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Well spoiler[Gungnir is doing something bad to Hibiki's body, which is why Tsubasa tells her not to use it.]

Also spoiler[her trauma has to do with the fall out of her surviving the Zwei Wing concert. I'll need to wait for subs as to exactly why her surviving was a bad thing.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13