• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Starts Countdown For New Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
Yes I love it, we're really going for the discrediting by avatar tactic. This has already progressing faster than I'd anticipated.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
I hope its going to be better than kyoani's last 4 or so shows. They have been going downhill for a while now.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
Its amusing how people say things like "KyoAni's been going downhill" without actually bothering to make a real argument.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:02 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Its amusing how people say things like "KyoAni's been going downhill" without actually bothering to make a real argument.

I have been enjoying the shows the make less and less, what more do you want me to say? I'm not here to argue.

I'm in no way saying they are a bad studio, and I know they are capable of making good shows.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:20 am Reply with quote
Little_Hawk wrote:
Reminds me of how Bakemonogatari started. High school guy can heal fast because he's a hybrid (Araragi is part vampire), girl about to jump from rooftop (Senjougahara fell from that ridiculously tall staircase) and she's got supernatural problems (crab problems).

Here's hoping that there will be actually be substance beyond the first few arcs for Kyoukai no Kanata then.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
I have been enjoying the shows the make less and less, what more do you want me to say? I'm not here to argue.

That's YOUR problem, not a problem with them. Most don't seem to have this "problem".
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
Whoa 2 shows from them in one year :O

At first glance I thought the top picture was of nagato from haruhi and the 4 indicated that its the fourth anime adaptation of the franchise, my heart skipped a beat
jet_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Whoa 2 shows from them in one year :O

At first glance I thought the top picture was of nagato from haruhi and the 4 indicated that its the fourth anime adaptation of the franchise, my heart skipped a beat

Tamako Market aired in January.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Because making assumptions based on somebody's avatar is totally a real argument.

*sigh* I come to ANN expecting it to be different from 4chan, yet I'm starting to see the two overlap. Sad day.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure we'll get Chu2koi 2 before Kyoukai no Kanata.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
People complaining that KyoAni needs to take more risks don't understand A) what risks are B) what their projects post-Haruhi movie have been or C) both.

Aku no Hana is not a "risk", that is throwing money into a black hole. Original works are inherently a risk, no matter how "moe" you think they are. Not all "moe" shows sell, many of them sell poorly (especially 4koma adaptations not called "K-On!" or "Hidamari Sketch"). Everything Kyoto Animation has done in the past year has essentially been original (Chu2koi was technically based on a light novel, but one that basically nobody in Japan had read and was not even widely available for purchase prior to airing).

They've also been risks in that they are shows in which Kyoto Animation was far more responsible for financing. For Haruhi, Hyouka and other past shows, they were a contracted studio like pretty much every other animation studio. More recently they've been the ones conceiving and pushing the projects. They're the main rights holders, the main ones pushing the projects, and the ones shouldering the bulk of the financial risk.

Tamako Market was a risk. Chu2koi was a risk. Free is a risk.
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I used to be pretty critical of KyoAni, too. But anyone that can't see that it's risky moving away from adaptations and towards mainly animating original IPs is blind.

Hell, for all the talk about how Free! is just K-On with guys, you'd think you'd understand just how risky THAT concept is. Slice-of-life with guys hasn't exactly swept the charts, traditionally, and it's not like they can depend on their previous buying base to welcome the concept with open arms.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Tamako Market was a risk. Chu2koi was a risk. Free is a risk.

Cutesy antics of cute girls isn't a risk.

Romantic comedy about quirky people isn't a risk.

Shirtless ripped men isn't a risk.

Try harder.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Yes, nice assertions you've got there. Care to back them up with actual sales data?
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
1) Look at the sales data for K-On/Azumanga Daioh/any manga and anime like that. Boom.

2) Look how many anime keeps getting made and selling well about quirky, odd girlfriends/boyfriends. Boom.

3) Straight men like looking at scantily clad women. Straight women like looking at scantily clad men. Common sense, really...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5