• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My first anime style drawing

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luminal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Hello all, I wanted to share with you this: My first anime style drawing. At least the first one I don't hate Rolling Eyes

I'd love to know your brutally honest opinions.

Luminal
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not bad, but with some more practice it can get a lot better. You need to work on drawing necks and collarbones obviously, as well as muscles, clothing, shading, and the hair. Of course, you should be able to make the body more proportioned before all of the extras, including, but not limited to, drawing more than 4 fingers (which is one thing I use to distinguish anime from American cartoons, the latter almost always uses 4 fingers instead of 5 for humans and humanoids) and making the size of the head match the torso and legs a bit better. Also, is that supposed to be just a wooden sword (can't remember what they're called, think it's bouken) or is it supposed to be a sword in its sheath? If it's the latter you might want to make the crack between the hilt and the sheath visible even if it's a fine line. Well, you said to be brutally honest, so, there you go Razz

Addendum: You might also want to note that for tabi (the shoes that have the big toe and the four smaller ones seperated for balance) that the split is, well, closer to the center of the body and not directly in the center of the foot.
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I think it's really good personally. Me having no drawing talent it's really awesome to see someone who is good at art. Well, I have some talent, but I can only draw if I'm looking at something, otherwise I stink. So did you read books and anime style drawing or just looked at that picture and freehanded it?
papa john

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
id have to agree with everything the first guy said but remember its all about the practice. those people who can draw perfect drawings didn't get where they did without lots and lots of practice. i can draw just about anything as long as i have something to look at. i used to draw all the time but i dont draw anymore because i dont enjoy it Neutral so dont practice too much.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
The pants are pretty good, especially with the shading in the colored version, but you really need to work on necks and muscles. If give your characters broad shoulders and big muscles, you need to give them an equally buff lower torso and legs or they'll look unbalanced.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Your form is sound, if unrefined (plus the balance thing Wolverince Princess mentioned.)

I personally find the bend of the arms to look unnatural- consider getting one of those wooden artist dolls and/or a book of reference poses to work with. (And practice, practice. practice! That's good advice for anyting! Wink )
Luminal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
Thank you all for your criticism Very Happy

I'll keep on practicing

Luminal
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
Pretty nice pic, and the coloring was quite cool, but it looks like if the guy had breasts... And the neck looks a bit odd.

The clothing was nicely colored, but too many wrinkles makes it look unreal. Sometimes it's better to keep it a bit simple n_n

Keep on practicing, 'coz you have talent Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Not bad but it looks a bit like the main character from Samurai Shodown(no offense). I reccomend sliming down his chest a little bit but otherwise it's pretty good.[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, as Wolverine Princess said, it looks a little bit outta proportion. The chest and arms look a little too big for the legs, but other than that, good job! I particularly like the hair and the look your character has on his face. It's like that badass "Don't F*ck with Me!" face that we all adore so much. Laughing Keep practicing though! You'll get better and better as you go along. I'm myself am not an artist, though. The best I can do are some little ninja doodles in a notebook sometimes. Either way, good job, and keep on practicing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1