• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - The Other Side

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
snip

Just because certain weirdos get off on stuff, that doesn't mean that stuff shouldn't be presented. Some people where probably masturbating at Home Alone, does that mean Home Alone is fetish material designed for titillation? No, obviously not.

Nothing in the scene or the aftermath suggests it was done for sexual gratification. This isn't something to discuss, there is no way that scene was done for pure masturbatory needs. Sure it may have been sexual, but it wasn't sexy in anyway, there is a big difference.

All you are doing is whinging about otaku and using VVV as an outlet. VVV does not deserve to be your outlet and whitewashing all anime as designed for the lowest rung of society is something I wouldn't have expected to see on this site and while I don't think you intended it to be taken that way, that is the logical end result of what you are saying.

And I think the pillow is supposed to be more along the lines of fitting the whole tsundere "I'm uncomfortable in my body and the guy I like is looking down at me" idea rather than a guy forcibly pulling off her clothes. Japan seems to have a different idea of what is sexually appealing than the west and seems to prefer cute to sexy, or thats what I've found anyway. That pillow emphasises cute, in its female weakness, which is something I find sad but I don't think it was supposed to make you imagine rape. Its quite a subtle difference but its one that we have to be aware of when talking about a sub-sect of another culture.

Personally, I find strong female characters with a curvier figure much more appealing(give me Misato or The Major any day).
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
For me, it's not about the small minority that will get off on that scene.

And it's not about the execution or how well-developed the characters were or how effective the scenes and reactions were at demonstrating the horror of spoiler[rape.] I have not seen it, and I most likely won't. I'll trust people's reactions here that they genuinely felt the horror of the situation and that scenes and characters clearly demonstrated that it was wrong. In that case, the creators were effective at emotionally drawing in the viewers.

Context is also not the issue. I understand the context from what others have described.

My problem is that a situation was created where there's sympathy for an spoiler["innocent" rapist. A blameless perpetrator who rapes a girl but didn't really rape her because of some supernatural voodoo where he's not in control of his body. That because of a plot device he becomes as much of a victim as the one who was raped. I hate that. It bothers me. There's no such thing as a blameless rapist, and it bothers me that a contrived situation was created where one was. It's asinine. A bunch of men writing such things for a predominantly male audience only compounds upon the issue.]

It it doesn't bother you, that's fine. I know I've watched certain things before that emotionally moved me - where I've later looked back and shook my head over the matter. In that case, it's an effective show at drawing out the emotions. There's nothing wrong with that.

But this is my hot button. No amount of discussion over context or delivery is going to make it sound any better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
@SwerveCity If you are going to quote me and respond to what I said, you should really actually quote my language (or summarize it) instead of just inserting some kind of one word reference. It makes it easier for everyone to follow the discussion.

SwerveCity wrote:

Just because certain weirdos get off on stuff, that doesn't mean that stuff shouldn't be presented. Some people where probably masturbating at Home Alone, does that mean Home Alone is fetish material designed for titillation? No, obviously not.

You didn't read my actual posts, where I said I am not indicating at all that it shouldn't be presented. I am simply acknowledging what has been presented, spoiler[a rape scene], and musing about why it was put in there (particularly where most of the responses have been "it makes no sense for that to be in there.") If you disagree with my musings, then so be it.

Quote:

Nothing in the scene or the aftermath suggests it was done for sexual gratification. This isn't something to discuss, there is no way that scene was done for pure masturbatory needs. Sure it may have been sexual, but it wasn't sexy in anyway, there is a big difference.

There is a reason that sex sells, and it's not always for "masturbatory needs." When people go to the theater and watch a movie with heavy sex scenes (even without explicit depictions of genitalia) does everyone in the theater pull down their pants and start jacking off? No. However, the writers of the movie put that scene in there because they knew it will stimulate some kind of entertainment in the mind of the viewers. This happens with all kinds of stimulating scenes in movies and anime, but it is ESPECIALLY true of scenes involving clear sexual content. Sexual stimulation is one of the most powerful that the human mind/body can experience. I think any time there is a clear depiction of a sex act in media, it is proper to consider whether or not the writer was attempting to stimulate the audience, even a minority of the audience. In some cases, we might ultimately learn that there was no such attempt. But I think it is certainly a fair question to ask and consider, particularly in instances such as this where it seems random and doesn't fit well with the rest of the show. I don't know for certain how much these writers intended to do this, but neither do you. I am simply stating my opinion that I think it is very possible, particularly given the context of similar tropes in anime (this is why I made the analogy to the "innocent boob grabber," which has become a recognized trope that is used in so many anime to the entertainment of the audience.)

Quote:
All you are doing is whinging about otaku and using VVV as an outlet. VVV does not deserve to be your outlet and whitewashing all anime as designed for the lowest rung of society is something I wouldn't have expected to see on this site and while I don't think you intended it to be taken that way, that is the logical end result of what you are saying.

I'm not whining about Otaku. Like I said, I have no problems with Otaku having whatever kind of fetish they want. I just try to acknowledge what those fetishes are and discuss whether they work or don't work in a particular anime.

Quote:
And I think the pillow is supposed to be more along the lines of fitting the whole tsundere "I'm uncomfortable in my body and the guy I like is looking down at me" idea rather than a guy forcibly pulling off her clothes. Japan seems to have a different idea of what is sexually appealing than the west and seems to prefer cute to sexy, or thats what I've found anyway. That pillow emphasises cute, in its female weakness, which is something I find sad but I don't think it was supposed to make you imagine rape. Its quite a subtle difference but its one that we have to be aware of when talking about a sub-sect of another culture.

You can think whatever you want of that pillow. I think it is an image which is intended to create an impression of a vulnerable girl who is being placed into a sexual situation which she doesn't look comfortable with. You may think it is simply "cute," I think it is prurient.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I'm not pretending that my opinion has the same weight as others, I know it does. I do try to give the same respect to others' opinions as I wish for my own, so I am not going to state categorically or with certitude that no one can have an opinion other than mine. That is exactly what SwerveCity was doing, and I called him on it. You seem to be in favor of shutting out other people's opinions too. Fine.

Nuh-uh. What I'm saying is that you haven't provided any proper evidence. All you've done is twist everything to try and support the conclusion you already had, instead of looking at the evidence and deriving a conclusion from that.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Also, as I said numerous times, I wasn't attacking anyone.

BS. Complete and utter BS. For example, saying that the scene was only included to fulfil the creators' and fans' spoiler[rape fantasies] is unquestionably an attack.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I am just stating facts and my opinion on the rationale behind such a spoiler[rape scene] being included in this anime. Given that most people, including you, seemed to agree that it makes no sense that such a scene was even included in this anime, I am trying to make sense of it. If that offends you then I think you are being way too sensitive.

You have obviously forgotten that I said the scene was included for shock value. I base this on the evidence we actually have, not some pre-formed ideological position.

If I'm being too sensitive it is because I'm allowing myself to be trolled by the likes of you.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I care, and I think anyone who is trying to objectively analyze this thing should care as well. You can't just totally ignore evidence that doesn't support your personal opinion. The fact is, these body pillows/covers etc are very popular among a large otaku fan base. They are being manufactured because they are making a crap load of money. You can't just pretend like that doesn't exist because you don't like the implications. (P.S. I think it should be noted that that particular pillow cover is being advertised enthusiastically on Crunchyroll, which does not serve a tiny minority of otaku.)

So according to you, the fact that some pillow cover from another series is popular somehow means that spoiler[the rape scene] in Valvrave the Liberator was due to Otaku fetishes. The f***? It doesn't logically follow. Jeez, did you get a lobotomy recently or something?

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
As I said above, I am not even trying to attack those otaku who are in to it. I have no problem with anyone having whatever kind of fetishes they want. That's the nature of free speech and freedom of ideas. I am just acknowledging the fact that they ARE in to it, and stating my opinion that I think often anime writing caters to them to a certain degree. If you are offended by that, then there's nothing I can do about it.

Ah. So you're using the old "I'm going to heavily imply that the creators and fans are deviants, but if anyone gets offended by that then tough luck" defence. Nice.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Nuh-uh. What I'm saying is that you haven't provided any proper evidence. All you've done is twist everything to try and support the conclusion you already had, instead of looking at the evidence and deriving a conclusion from that.

I provided plenty of proper evidence. First of all, only a few people have actually questioned whether or not a spoiler[rape] occurred. Instead, we are focusing on what does the spoiler[rape] mean for the show. I theorized that it was an attempt to create a concept of an spoiler["innocent rapist,"] which I think is pretty straightforward but you keep trying to shut down. My premise was based on the idea that this spoiler["innocent rapist"] concept is not an anomaly. I went through an analysis of the similar concept of "innocent boob grabber," and then when challenged about whether or not otaku actually are titillated by this kind of stuff, provided evidence of body pillows which promote a similar kind of conduct, which are being advertised on one of the most successful anime related websites. In response, you have mostly just been extremely hostile towards me without actually thinking for a moment about what I am saying. That is why you think I am attacking otaku when in reality I have said many times that I have no problem with them being into any of this type of stuff.

I don't understand why simply commenting on the types of things which are being marketed to otaku or the types of arguably prurient themes included in many anime makes you want to attack me so badly. If you don't think it is prurient then fine, but there is no need to attack me because I raise the question of whether or not it is. I always try to respect your arguments on stuff even when you are taking a different tack than others.

(P.S. If I am evil for even commenting on this, then the creators of PapaKiki must be like super mega Satan for their portrayal of otaku.)
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
If by the Papakiki reference you mean the president of the sightseeing club, I don't recall him being much of an otaku - his defining characteristic is his pedo/hebephilia, not his interest in fiction.

As for the idea you keep pushing of spoiler[the innocent rapist], personally it sounds like one that could definitely have a lot story milked out of it(especially with spoiler[him feeling responsible and her not knowing how to think of him]*). It's entirely possible there's no deep meaning behind it and the writers merely hit upon something that seemed interesting without being able to pull it off.

*This is just my understanding of events from reading spoilers - I haven't actually watched the show, so it's possible I'm getting the wrong impression.
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
@SwerveCity If you are going to quote me and respond to what I said, you should really actually quote my language (or summarize it) instead of just inserting some kind of one word reference. It makes it easier for everyone to follow the discussion.

I dislike making my posts really huge and arguing about individual sections. It seems rude to other people reading the forum. My apologises if you took it as me negating your opinion.

Quote:
You didn't read my actual posts, where I said I am not indicating at all that it shouldn't be presented. I am simply acknowledging what has been presented, spoiler[a rape scene], and musing about why it was put in there (particularly where most of the responses have been "it makes no sense for that to be in there.") If you disagree with my musings, then so be it.

No you didn't. Or at least if that was your intention you didn't say it very well. It seems to me your entire goal was to attack anime as being sexist(all the previous posts and your current one suggest this) and thought VVV was the smoking gun to get across your opinion. While I think anime is probably sexist as a whole, compared to western values at least, I don't think VVV or this scene is.

Quote:
There is a reason that sex sells, and it's not always for "masturbatory needs." When people go to the theater and watch a movie with heavy sex scenes (even without explicit depictions of genitalia) does everyone in the theater pull down their pants and start jacking off? No. However, the writers of the movie put that scene in there because they knew it will stimulate some kind of entertainment in the mind of the viewers. This happens with all kinds of stimulating scenes in movies and anime, but it is ESPECIALLY true of scenes involving clear sexual content. Sexual stimulation is one of the most powerful that the human mind/body can experience. I think any time there is a clear depiction of a sex act in media, it is proper to consider whether or not the writer was attempting to stimulate the audience, even a minority of the audience. In some cases, we might ultimately learn that there was no such attempt. But I think it is certainly a fair question to ask and consider, particularly in instances such as this where it seems random and doesn't fit well with the rest of the show. I don't know for certain how much these writers intended to do this, but neither do you. I am simply stating my opinion that I think it is very possible, particularly given the context of similar tropes in anime (this is why I made the analogy to the "innocent boob grabber," which has become a recognized trope that is used in so many anime to the entertainment of the audience.)

Perhaps "masturbatory needs" was too strong a statement for you. I meant sexual desire, but was putting a slightly stronger spin on the word.

I don't think this scene was done to pleasure the audience, it was done to shock. So in a sense yes, you could say they find enjoyment in the rape but its not the rape that causes the enjoyment, it was the unknown and "what'll happen next" factor. I find it strange that you have never met a person who watches things that surprise and shock them.

Quote:
I'm not whining about Otaku. Like I said, I have no problems with Otaku having whatever kind of fetish they want. I just try to acknowledge what those fetishes are and discuss whether they work or don't work in a particular anime.

I think you do. And I think your trying to paint a scene designed to shock and hook in the viewer as being designed for sexual gratification. Not one person I've ever seen discuss this ep has called it anything other than shocking.

Quote:
You can think whatever you want of that pillow. I think it is an image which is intended to create an impression of a vulnerable girl who is being placed into a sexual situation which she doesn't look comfortable with. You may think it is simply "cute," I think it is prurient.

Cute and sexual aren't opposites. You may want to reread my previous post.

It may be uncomfortable to us with a western background but I don't think Japanese people see it the same way as us, and after watching 200 or so anime titles, my opinion has developed to reach this view. I probably would have thought it was attacking a vulnerable girl like you do, if I hadn't of watched as much anime.

Oh and for anyone reading this, there was a guility party in the event, it was the damn spoiler[mecha]. I find it strange that we attack VVV so much for this while Gargantia has gotten away with what I consider much worse stuff.
Key Lime Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
brankoburcksen wrote:
Aside from some apparent pacing problems, Attack on Titan has been a really excellent show. I don't really see much to criticize in terms of quality unless you want to get into the nitty-gritty of animation or what information is being withheld by who.

Honestly, I cannot really complain too much about the pacing. Yes, episode 12 moved slow in terms of plot, leaving us in the exact same place we were at before the cliffhanger in episode 11, but it is not like it did nothing. We got some pretty good character development, and it set up a nice situation where plenty of people are putting their lives on the line for a plan that has to work, but which almost all of them have pretty much given up on.

When a show like this can dole out exposition like it did in episode 11, rely on the strength of its characters when the plot grinds to a halt in episode 12 or even spend more than half its running time in one location with characters arguing with each other like in episode 10, and still be this good, you know you have a winner.

Dem spoilerz e.e

I really shouldn't be putting this one on hold if it's not at all like SAO in terms of pacing.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
SwerveCity wrote:

I dislike making my posts really huge and arguing about individual sections. It seems rude to other people reading the forum. My apologises if you took it as me negating your opinion.

If you want to respond to someone without quoting their language, you should just do a @[Insert person's name]. When you do a quote and replace their words with some short little comment or one word, it creates an appearance of snarkiness or some kind of put down.

Quote:
Quote:

No you didn't. Or at least if that was your intention you didn't say it very well. It seems to me your entire goal was to attack anime as being sexist(all the previous posts and your current one suggest this) and thought VVV was the smoking gun to get across your opinion. While I think anime is probably sexist as a whole, compared to western values at least, I don't think VVV or this scene is.

YES I did. I am going to link to my my posts where I said that (they were early on, so you obviously haven't been reading the whole discussion). In both of those posts I said that I am not opposed to spoiler[rape scenes] being presented in general, but was musing about why it was presented in this case and whether it worked or not. Please read my actual replies before putting words in my mouth.

Post 1

Post 2

Furthermore, I didn't "attack anime" as being sexist or anything else. I have been commenting about common tropes that exist in anime and comparing the scene in Valvrave to those common tropes. It is so annoying to me when people refuse to listen to what you actually say and instead try to psycho-analyze what they think you really believe. It is extremely arrogant.

Quote:
I don't think this scene was done to pleasure the audience, it was done to shock. So in a sense yes, you could say they find enjoyment in the rape but its not the rape that causes the enjoyment, it was the unknown and "what'll happen next" factor. I find it strange that you have never met a person who watches things that surprise and shock them.

I am glad that you are recognizing that there is some form of enjoyment going on. Yes, I agree that for some people it might be purely enjoyment of the shock. For some people it might be enjoyment of the tension of not knowing what will happen next. For some it might be enjoyment of the idea of the sex act. There are many different types of enjoyment which can flow from a scene like that. I am considering all of that when I say "stimulation."

Quote:

I think you do. And I think your trying to paint a scene designed to shock and hook in the viewer as being designed for sexual gratification. Not one person I've ever seen discuss this ep has called it anything other than shocking.

Again, you should go by what I say, not by what you would prefer to think my true intentions are. As I said above, that is extremely arrogant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12