• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: PS4 Is Region Free, But Online Multiplayer Requires PS+ Subscription

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
sonic7 wrote:

No reason for me to waste money on a new console and pay for online when I have a PC to play most new stuff and a PS3 for everything else.

I'm personally not really interested in getting any of the new consoles anytime soon. They all have their limitations. I think the Wii U's price point and family friendly nature will sell more units than the competition in the short run given their added costs and limitations. As far as who makes the most profit or has the most popular and enduring system, that will be decided much later on.

Help me find a PC for $400 that can play all those games. actually most console games don't release in PC or release very late. Especially Japanese games like FF15, KH3, and other RPGs.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Help me find a PC for $400 that can play all those games. actually most console games don't release in PC or release very late. Especially Japanese games like FF15, KH3, and other RPGs.

Pretty much. As much as people tote "PC Master Race", all the games I've played have been console exclusive. Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Tales of Graces/Vesperia/Symphonia/Eternia/Rebirth. JRPGs and Japanese games in general don't usually get PC releases. It really only applies to western games like shooters and stuff.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
The PS4 is just like the PS3 when it comes to region restrictions. It's essentially region free, but developers can lock their games if they want.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/11/yoshida-ps4-is-region-free/

enurtsol wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Alright, thanks guys. Im glad the ps4 is more powerful, it just makes me feel good that after all these years of being with PS, sony still doesn't let us down

The specs are close enough that, unless you're the type as uber PC gamers, you won't notice the difference, not like between 360 DVDs and PS3 Blu-rays.

Yeah, I wouldn't say it's a landside for one side over the other either. Here are the specs: http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_vs._Wii_U_Comparison_Chart
Notice that the graphics memory and the cpu are the main differences, though not by very much. The PS4 uses GDDR5 while the Xbox uses GDDR3, however, simply being 5 doesn't mean it's better than 3. IIRC, nvidia used GDDR3 for a long time while ATI switched to GDDR4 and then GDDR5 and that memory difference didn't take down nvidia.
They both use x86 8 core cpus. PS4 by AMD and the XB1 is an AMD chip customized by MS. Again, not much difference.
Found this article on AnandTech ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4 ) which favors the PS4, but does point out that it's up to developers to implement it.
Which in the end is really what matters. A game designed for the PS4 and poorly ported to the XB1 (or vice versa) will be a bad game regardless of how powerful the console is.
Overall, these two consoles are probably the most identical of any console generation yet. Once the consoles are in peoples hands we can actually test the hardware and see which is more powerful, but it looks like this will make the least difference this generation.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Not only is the memory 158% faster overall, but the PS4 also has 50% more shaders i.e. rendering power, than Xbox One (768 vs 1152 in PS4), which makes a more significant impact than the faster memory. However, the faster, unified GDDR5 memory would still be required to take advantage of the extra GPU power.

Since it uses the same CPU and GPU architecture between the two systems as well as with PC at a higher level (DX11, non-AMD specific code), games can automatically take advantage of that extra power with the exact same game engine no matter the platform

Just like how for PC games, including console games ported to PC, there are graphics settings for the quality or amount of details and usually the PC ports allow for greater detail like in Capcom games, the game engine can automatically detect the platform or GPU specs and increase detail level. It would literally be just a handful of lines of code to do so.

But that's just for the core game engine. There would still be large difference in the code to handle peripherals, the network API and services, etc.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
PS4 deserves the money. Free anything is a joke. Im paying instead of Live ever again.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
Does this also apply for Blu Rays as well? So for example, does that mean we could buy the Manga UK Cowboy Bebop Blu Rays and play this on the PS4?

Quote:
Manga UK, has alot of titles available on Blu Ray (that are not yet available on Region A, but that may change by the time the PS4 is released) that are region B and was wondering if the PS4 would be region free and allow playback on all region codes; A, B and C.

I'm 99% certain that video region codes will apply as for the PS3 and Sony's standalone BD players; Sony has a pretty big stake in the home video business themselves after all.
It is Anime Limited/All the Anime who are releasing Cowboy Bebop on BD, not Manga, and we have precious few BD here BDs that you don't, but the reverse is overwhelmingly true.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Dessa wrote:

BD were not "region locked" for most anime fans, because the US and Japan share a BD region.

Most anime BDs just aren't region locked at all. Even if you're region B or C or D, you should be able to play most anime BDs.

Most Japanese anime BDs are region free. A lot of US Anime BDs are Region A (and I believe all the others are AB, not region free), all UK (and likely all European) anime BDs are Region B, and all AU/NZ Anime BDs are Region B except ones where the discs manufactured by Sentai so are AB.

Dessa wrote:
I don't believe that a PS3 will play UK/AU BD (or games), and I'd assume that the "region free" on the PS4 is also the same, they're looking more at people importing between US/JP, not other regions. I could be wrong (and I hope I am) with games, but I doubt with BD.

Other than Persona 4 all PS3 games from all regions will play on all consoles from all regions. All consoles are locked to the respective region for BDs and DVD, and also locked to video format (US and JP consoles will not play PAL video regardless of region code).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
sonic7 wrote:

No reason for me to waste money on a new console and pay for online when I have a PC to play most new stuff and a PS3 for everything else.

I'm personally not really interested in getting any of the new consoles anytime soon. They all have their limitations. I think the Wii U's price point and family friendly nature will sell more units than the competition in the short run given their added costs and limitations. As far as who makes the most profit or has the most popular and enduring system, that will be decided much later on.

You won't find one for 400 that can play those but you CAN build one yourself (it's piss-easy) that can smoke even the X1 and PS4 out of the water for like 600, which is still cheaper than most real desktops*.

(*: this is another thing that annoys--everyone acts like a gaming PC can only play games or some stupid shit like that, that's not true at all, a gaming PC is just a really powerful PC, it can still do everything a normal rig can do, just better. Yes, it's more expensive than a console but can a console do all the things a PC can do? No.)

TitanXL wrote:

Pretty much. As much as people tote "PC Master Race", all the games I've played have been console exclusive. Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Tales of Graces/Vesperia/Symphonia/Eternia/Rebirth. JRPGs and Japanese games in general don't usually get PC releases. It really only applies to western games like shooters and stuff.

And racing sims...and indie games...and a fuckload of other shit too.

You act like having a console and a PC at the same time is hard for some unknown reason.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
This coming gen, it's pretty obvious that Japanese developers will be publishing their stuff on PC. It won't be surprising when FF15 comes out on PC. It would be stupid not to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
God I hope it does. It'll almost certainly be low-res on PS4 compared to what a maxed out PC could put out...oh my god, that would be so beautiful.

And the mod potential...goddamn FFXV would be amazing on PC.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
This coming gen, it's pretty obvious that Japanese developers will be publishing their stuff on PC. It won't be surprising when FF15 comes out on PC. It would be stupid not to.

Kojima is already moving in that direction. The PS4 and Xbone both use PC architecture, it wouldn't surprise me if we see a lot of PC versions of JRPGs in the future. Especially considering Square Enix's recently published games on PC like Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Hitman and Sleeping Dogs. Those ports weren't half assed either.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
The only barrier is that Japan isn't very receptive to PC gaming.

Apparently the Japanese prefer each of their devices to do one and ONE thing only. For PCs, that thing is web browsing and other assorted things, but not gaming.

It makes no sense to me, but hey I'm not a Japanese person so I don't think I can comment too much on this kind of thing.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
You won't find one for 400 that can play those but you CAN build one yourself (it's piss-easy) that can smoke even the X1 and PS4 out of the water for like 600, which is still cheaper than most real desktops*.

Why would I want to spend an extra $200 and have to build it myself (even if it is relatively easy) though? If you've already got a capable PC perhaps it isn't worth buying a new console right at the moment. But it won't be long before your PC falls behind the curve. And at that point your most cost effective option for gaming is going to be a console.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Dessa wrote:

BD were not "region locked" for most anime fans, because the US and Japan share a BD region.

Most anime BDs just aren't region locked at all. Even if you're region B or C or D, you should be able to play most anime BDs.

Most Japanese anime BDs are region free. A lot of US Anime BDs are Region A (and I believe all the others are AB, not region free), all UK (and likely all European) anime BDs are Region B, and all AU/NZ Anime BDs are Region B except ones where the discs manufactured by Sentai so are AB.

Right, of course, I was referring specifically to JP releases but didn't think to specify that. It didn't even occur to me that that post might be talking about the U.S. releases.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Why would I want to spend an extra $200 and have to build it myself (even if it is relatively easy) though? If you've already got a capable PC perhaps it isn't worth buying a new console right at the moment. But it won't be long before your PC falls behind the curve. And at that point your most cost effective option for gaming is going to be a console.

You are right that PC technology does increase very fast, but two things:

1: Yes, PC tech increases crazy fast. However, when we mean that, we mean "a new $1000 graphics card comes out that no one actually ever buys besides magazines and industry guys". Almost no one actually uses the absolute cutting edge tech, it's there...basically to say "this is the absolute max we can do as of now with no regards to cost". It's bragging rights not really stuff for consumers.

The most expensive graphics card Newegg currently stocks is the MSI R7990-6GD5 Radeon HD 7990, at $1099. The one I want to use for my next build, the GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670, is...$350. And it's one of the best cards on the market.

2: You don't have upgrade your PC as soon as the next stuff comes out. No one actually does. Build yourself a gaming PC for about 600-900 bucks right now, and it should last you four to five years at the usual before you absolutely have to upgrade. And even then you can stave off a year or two if you're willing to set graphics to medium/low for a while.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:56 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Right, of course, I was referring specifically to JP releases but didn't think to specify that. It didn't even occur to me that that post might be talking about the U.S. releases.

This subthread started with someone wanting to play the UK Cowboy Bebop BDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5