• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you watch anime volume by volume or wait for the boxset?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taoofjord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just that my memory is horrible but I can't stretch out an anime for an entire year, watching each volume as it's released every 1-2 months. I always wait for the boxset to come out so I can watch it all in the span of a a few days. I feel that if I stretched, aside from forgetting things, the story would lose some impact and I'd miss things I could have picked up if I watched them within a shorter span of time.

For example, I'm waiting for Fullmetal Alchemist to release in a boxset before I get into the show. I'm dying to watch it now but I know that I'll just go crazy when I watch everything and have to wait for the next volume.

So, what do you do?

(And just to clarify, I'm speaking of shows that don't have boxsets because all the dvds haven't been released yet)

Last edited by taoofjord on Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Satanachia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I usually buy anime boxsets when they are available, but mostly I buy the dividual DVDs, though that does get tedious with the cliffhanger episodes the DVDs leave you on ie. spoiler[ In GitS:SAC2ndGIG volume 5 when Batou was about to fight Kuze and the episode ends with the laser-sight pointed at Kuze's head. ] Alas it usually costs more to get the dividual dvd's, seeing is how (where I live anyway) DVDs range from 25$ - 35$.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote
It depends on what's available and what the price is. If a series has a boxset that's cheap enough for me to afford, I'll buy it as a boxset. I much prefer to buy anime that way simply because I'm too impatient to wait for the next volume after I become addicted to a series and I want to be able to watch it all at once. However, if an anime doesn't have a boxset available or if it's too expensive for me to buy, I will buy the single volumes if I must.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hajime06

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I usually go for boxsets since they are cheaper than buying the single releases.
Enjeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Being patient is not one of my strong suits. I usually buy a series a disk at a time as it comes out. If/when it comes out in a thinpack format, I will sell the individual dvds and then buy the thinpack.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OrionQuest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote
With Macross I'm doing both. When Animeigo was about to release their Macross, they made a 9 DVD box set available only to those who preordered it. So, I got it as a box set.

ADV is realeasing their Macross one volume at a time although the first volume can be obtained with a collectors box. So, I got the first volume with the box and I'm getting the rest of the volumes as they come out so I can fill the box.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Volume by volume, I can easily collect 4 or 5, possibly more, series at any given time and watch them volume by volume with no problems. I prefer to see them sooner rather than later, and since the time span between releases doesn't really bother or effect me I just go volume by volume. If I run out of things to watch I'll hunt around for box sets of series past that I haven't seen, which is how I cam to get Haibane Renmei, FMP, and Figure 17 to name a few.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr.Roboto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I like getting the boxsets. But I'm kinda annoyed they don't have Cowboy Bebop or FMA. I can wait for FMA but I think I'm gonna have to buy the volumes individually for Cowboy Bebop. Also box sets look cool.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I will watch anime by volume but lately I've gotten into boxsets or entire series at once. I guess it could be when I start watching a really catchy or want to see a really catchy series, I'll want to watch it in it's entirety.
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Honestly the only individual DVD's I want to see on my shelf are movies. Series need to be in pretty artboxes packed with every volume of the series so it's there and ready for anyone to pick up and start watching from beginning to end. That's why I'm so frustrated waiting for volume 6 of Gankutsuou to come out, and I'm not too happy having to wait so long for volume 7 of Death Note either, just as a testament to my impatience over things like this.
Hiei77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
Boxsets are the best to me because they look great on shelves, and theres no ways of getting cliffhangers. The only bad thing is i have to limit myself to 2 to 3 episodes a day, max, because i dont like to watch the whole series so fast, because it sort of ruins it, but i want to. Its hard enough to wait for boxsets, but they can be so freakin expensive sometimes.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
If it's an anime I REALLY want to watch/collect, then I'll buy the singles. If it's a series I'm on the fence about or don't have the $$$ to buy as singles, I'll wait for the boxset.

The majority of my anime purchases are singles, so it's about 70/30.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1