• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FAST QUESTIONS: about MAR: marchen awakens romance/air gear

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxfriskoplaya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
just wondering if

MAR: marchen awakens romance

or

Air Gear

is a romance?

Thanks all!

Last edited by xxfriskoplaya on Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, here's what I said last time you made a thread for Romance anime suggestions (my opinion hasn't changed):

Quote:
Well, if you liked Love Hina, then you'd probably like Tenchi Muyo. Tenchi Muyo is a harem (it has one guy surrounded by man girls), just like Love Hina, so, of course, it's funny. It also has an Action/Adventure plotline, making it even better. Although it doesn't revolve around Romance, I'd say it has some, because the other girls love Tenchi and are constantly fighting over him. LOL! It's Romance is pretty light-hearted, though, so you might not like it if you're looking for serious Romance. Anyway, it's a good show, and I think you'd like it. And, BTW, as far as I can remember, Tenchi doesn't wear glasses. LOL!

Maybe you should read all the posts in your other Romance anime recommendation thread. I'm sure there are some recommendations, like mine, that you missed. Read through it again, just in case. Here:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26251
xxfriskoplaya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
yea, thanks for reminding me, but i've already seen the suggestions they gave me so now im out of suggestions xP.

i wanted to see "Mai-Hime" but its licenced so it doenst show on you tube xP ill have to wait to buy it hehe.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
caseclosedfan414 wrote:
Well, here's what I said last time you made a thread for Romance anime suggestions (my opinion hasn't changed):

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26251

You should've reported the post instead. I don't see why he needs to post an almost exact copy within a week's timespan...

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11273
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25979
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21419
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Although I applaud you for being specific... I fail to see nearly any romance that doesn't apply as long as the guy doesn't wear glasses (which coincidently rules off the first one I was going to recommend, Saikano)

DearS - Alien sex slaves? I'm there.

Elfen Lied - Absolutely great show, but very very brutal. Not your typical love story, you may not like it as much.

Fate/Stay Night - Very good show. Has probably my favorite female character of all time in this show: Saber.

Mai-Hime - Another great show, though romance probably isn't the number ONE thing in this show.

REC - Surprisingly touching and realistic look into a starting seiyuu's life, short and sweet.

Voices of a Distant Star - This may not quite fit your "good animation" bill quite as well, it's the most touching romance I've ever seen. It's short too.

W~Wish - Aired at the same time as Final Approach, and was considerably better in many ways imo. Also has half-length episodes.

There, that's all the ones I saw just running through MyAnime once that seemed to fit. To be honest, there are a bunch of titles in your category, but the more you narrow it down, there really aren't THAT many titles if you limit yourself as such. You may be disappointed in a few months or a year when you've seen nearly everything good in that category.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:

Wait, DearS is about alien sex slaves? I saw the trailer to it on a Geneon DVD not too long ago and it looked interesting, but I never got the impression that the aliens were sex slaves. LOL! I mean, I thought it had to do with female aliens inhabiting Earth for awhile, and then leaving, but one alien stayed on Earth with the one guy (IDK the names because I only saw the trailer, I never watched the show). Are they really alien sex slaves? Shocked
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Kind of, I was exaggerating a bit Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Ok. Thanks, selenta. You had me scared there. I was like: "Wait, WTF?". LOL!
Lucan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
RahXephon - A Mecha series that has a very very strong background regarding romance / love / hate relationship.

The show is rather engimatic though, but most of the loose ends / character relationships are tied in the end (one of the best ending).
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
caseclosedfan414 wrote:
Wait, DearS is about alien sex slaves?
Laughing

The alien(s) in question happens to have something akin to a collar on her neck, so yeah...

It ought to anger some feminists with such blatant declaration of harem-submissive quality of the alien character(s) present.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
caseclosedfan414 wrote:
selenta wrote:

Wait, DearS is about alien sex slaves? I saw the trailer to it on a Geneon DVD not too long ago and it looked interesting, but I never got the impression that the aliens were sex slaves. LOL! I mean, I thought it had to do with female aliens inhabiting Earth for awhile, and then leaving, but one alien stayed on Earth with the one guy (IDK the names because I only saw the trailer, I never watched the show). Are they really alien sex slaves? Shocked

Nah, Invasion of the Boobie Snatchers would have been the alien sex slave one.
xxfriskoplaya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
haha ic thanks guys your suggestions help a lot.

questions..

Is Fate/Stay Night a romance anime?
Is Kiba a romance anime?
Is azumanga dioh a romance anime?
Is the melancholy of haruhi suzumiah a romance anime?

what i mean is not necessarily "based" on romance, but does it have any romance in it?
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
xxfriskoplaya wrote:

Is azumanga dioh a romance anime?
Is the melancholy of haruhi suzumiah a romance anime?

what i mean is not necessarily "based" on romance, but does it have any romance in it?
Azumanga Daioh: none. It's a comfortable all-girl humorous slice-of-life. No kissy-wussy here. Move on.

Actually, it's one of the most beloved and funniest (if acquired humour) titles though, so I'll still recommend it to anyone, though not of this thread's topic, I suppose.

Haruhi: there *is* romance, per se, and many would say romance is quite central to the story (I don't want to spoil anything). However, it's not quite like most "romance" titles out there, especially in execution.

That I'm a Harutard (first officially proclaimed one! As far as I'm concerned...) means I'll still recommend it to you heartily nonetheless.

Of the two other titles, I haven't watched them.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen Kiba either, I stopped watching almost immediatly as I thought it was terrible. FSN on the other hand revolves around the romance.

EDIT: I too am a Harutard (/sigh.... I guess.... god I hate that name...), and it is without a doubt deserving of it's spot in the top 10 in my mind, but I would highly suggest against going into it with the expectation of getting a deep involving romance.

Last edited by selenta on Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
xxfriskoplaya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
awesome! thanks guys or girls. ill definitely check out fsn and haruhi suzumiya.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2