• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gedo Senki Panned by Online Critics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
(This is really getting off-topic. Someone should make a new Only Yesterday thread so we can continue this discussion.)
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
uberfrosch wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Also, I think we shouldn't pass judgement until the author gives an opinion.

Why? I respect Le Guin, but we're all allowed to form our own opinions without waiting for her word on the subject. She may not say anything at all. She only spoke out against the Sci Fi Channel miniseries adaptation after the producers made claims that effectively put words in her mouth. http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Earthsea.html

Well, she knows her work better than most. If she complains like she did for the TV series about her series being maligned, then her response is the most valid. If she doesn't complain about the content not being faithful to her work, then the detractors should move on.

Never trust a movie review by the author of the book said movie was based on. The author's opinion is too biased and their standards are too high. The LOTR movies were critically acclaimed, award-winning, and all-around loved by audiences across the world. But you know that ol' Toklie is probably going to roll around in his grave and curse Peter Jackson's name till the end of time.

I'll go see Gendo Senki, but I was never expecting much from this film to begin with. Goro got the job because his last name is Miyazaki, not because previous industry experience or displays of talent. I hate it when family members mooch off of their parent's/sibling's/spouse's/whatever's fame. It's about who you know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pop-Art Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But you know that ol' Toklie is probably going to roll around in his grave and curse Peter Jackson's name till the end of time.

The difference being that Jackson and Co. didn't butcher Tokien's work? Let's face it, there are only a very few uber-die-hard-purist fans of Tolkien who still think that the movies butchered the book(s). Because most fans have accepted that most of what was changed was changed necessarily, a few more or less minor points notwithstanding, and what made it to the screen was mostly the letter and almost certainly the spirit of what Tolkien had written. I also think that if J.R.R. himself were still alive, by some miracle or what have you, that it wouldn't have been unlikely that Jackson and Co. would actually have wanted his input. But that is neither here nor there.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Didn't he give it three stars? That's pretty good. Above average, at least.

Two and a half.

It's pretty bad considering Chicken Little got the same score.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:20 am Reply with quote
MarthaC wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
[

But, the end result was she ditched her career and married a farmer. If she had ditched her career and became a farmer, then it would be a different matter. She still would have had a furusato lifestyle and a career.

I'm totally behind Zac on his opinion on this movie. I don't think teenagers understand this movie! I can't really explain it to you, you don't have the experience to understand what I would say.
Any way, I knew several farmers and believe me, women farmers who are wives have careers- don't you remember the whole family was picking the flowers? Some American women on family farms even work outside the home in order to get money in.[/i]

Oh dear. And how could you possibly know a thing about me? I don't devulge anything about myself on this forum except my state. However, I do have to say that assuming that I'm a teenager or amount of education or working experience that I have simply because I disagreed with anyone on Only Yesterday is a huge mistake.

And your second paragraph is no revelation to me either considering I live in an American farming community. But, this film dealt with a Japanese community, not an American one.

So, just stick to the anime discussion (Gedo Senki) please. Any assumptions on anyone's personal background is usually incorrect.

Haru to Ashura, I meant saying stuff like she said for Earthsea TV, not like a full movie review. If she went ballistic like back then, then I would take it seriously. If she's not upset, then it's okay with me whatever changes he made. It's her baby after all. Either way, I'll see it for myself and come to my own conclusions.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:29 am Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:
It's not for children or teenagers at all, whatsoever. It's a film made for adults, and can only be appreciated fully by adults because it's about an experience that's very specific to adults.

Well the same can be said for Stand By Me, but I knew kids who loved that film.

Quote:
Children and teenagers might be able to understand the feelings evoked in the film, they might be able to comprehend how someone might feel that way, but the film doesn't sympathetically or emotionally connect with young people, since it is so obviously told from the perspective of an adult dealing with adult emotions.

And Evangelion isn't like that?

Quote:

I get that they're teenagers and they know everything, but to assume that you can completely sympathize with, recognize and totally "get" the way 30-somethings feel when you're 15 is, to me, nonsense.

I don't see how a 65-year old director would "get" how a 12 year old girl feels, either. But a girl in the Spirited Away audience was thanking Miyazaki for making a movie which she could relate to so much, that she was weeping with joy.

Quote:
I think teenagers who talk about "missing their childhood" are probably being a little pretentious themselves.

Not every teen enjoys being brainwashed(I mean educated) into becoming an office drone or having to get laid to prove
that they're adults, Zac.

hikaru:
Quote:

spoiler[pull up stakes, ditch your career and marry a farmer. She had that "You're getting old. When are you going to get married?" pressure working on her too. It was pretty stereotypical of the pressures of the working female imo. This female, unfortunately, caved into her traditional role in the end.]

She had her fun, but the corporate world wasn't for her. It was
the kind of life spoiler[imposed on her by her family].

Quote:
But, the end result was she ditched her career and married a farmer. If she had ditched her career and became a farmer, then it would be a different matter.

Why? It'd still be a step down on the career ladder.

Swissman:
Quote:

Yeah, Only Yesterday has a conservative message.

The conservative message would be for the girl to focus specifically on financial success at the expense of her own happiness. It's sort of the modern equivalent of having a dowry.
Obviously that was not the case at the end of the film.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:04 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Swissman:
Quote:

Yeah, Only Yesterday has a conservative message.

The conservative message would be for the girl to focus specifically on financial success at the expense of her own happiness. It's sort of the modern equivalent of having a dowry.
Obviously that was not the case at the end of the film.

The whole point was she wasn't having fun. She's being pressured into getting married. She was happiest on the farm, kept going back and eventually decided to stay. Conservative message delivered and the rest is history.

See Swissman's comment on page 3 right after Dargonxtc (second from the top) for details about his views concerning the conservative message which differs from your statement.

Also, being a farmer is a career. Being married to a farmer is not perceived as a career in the same sense meaning a person who brings in income. Office worker is also a career. Besides, some people may consider the farmer to be more important.

We really should get back to Gedo Senki.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
How the hell can people like Only Yesterday? It's about a girl growing up. I personally don't give a shit if her family doesn't like Pineapple. I don't give a shit if she gets her period. I don't give a shit about her boring life. Ocean Waves was way better than it. I mean, the guy smacks the bitch. How can you not love it? Tales from Earthsea looks even more boring than Lord of the Rings. It's just people walking.

I don't think you really understood the movie. I will agree I liked Ocean Waves alot more just because I could understand it better and it was refreshing but I like Only Yesterday. I guess to enjoy Only Yesterday you have to put yourself into the main girl's shoes. No need for dissing the movie so badly. I will agree Tales of Earthsea seems alot more boring than Lord of the Rings (no offense to Lord of The Rings fans) I managed to read some of the book the movie is based off of and I was very unimpressed.

Has anyone been able to see Tokikake? There's a movie from the 80s that this version is based off of I think and I was just wondering if the movie is as good as it looks in the trailers.
thebaron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
Well just like the "Movie" based on Earthsea, they made a major mistake as usual.

They changed the main character and it was a series of short novels, not a movie. it would have better to keep to the books and format in OVA series. Why can't they leave it alone? Miami Vice movies has very little to almost nothing to do with the TV show other than the names.
Beruda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote
It's not for children or teenagers at all, whatsoever. It's a film made for adults, and can only be appreciated fully by adults because it's about an experience that's very specific to adults.
[/quote]

I agree 150%. Only Yesterday is a wonderful film, one of studio Chibli's best.
MarthaC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
[quote="hikaru004"][quote="MarthaC"]
hikaru004 wrote:
[

I'm totally behind Zac on his opinion on this movie. I don't think teenagers understand this movie! I can't really explain it to you, you don't have the experience to understand what I would say.
Any way, I knew several farmers and believe me, women farmers who are wives have careers- don't you remember the whole family was picking the flowers? Some American women on family farms even work outside the home in order to get money in.[/i]

Oh dear. And how could you possibly know a thing about me? I don't devulge anything about myself on this forum except my state. However, I do have to say that assuming that I'm a teenager or amount of education or working experience that I have simply because I disagreed with anyone on Only Yesterday is a huge mistake.

My apologies to Hikaru004, I was expressing myself poorly.
I should've replied directly to you first and the first paragraph should've been second. I was really talking about two different things. I meant only to agree with Zac and was writing about teenagers in a general way-the grammar lesson is clear-beware of mixing plural and single pronouns. Also, don't try to write when the brain is tired.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
thebaron wrote:
Well just like the "Movie" based on Earthsea, they made a major mistake as usual.

They changed the main character and it was a series of short novels, not a movie. it would have better to keep to the books and format in OVA series. Why can't they leave it alone? Miami Vice movies has very little to almost nothing to do with the TV show other than the names.

This comment seems a little preemptive without seeing the movie first, as we don't even know the details of the story that were changed. And what do you mean they changed the main character? It still seems to be all about Arren and Ged, the main characters of the third book. I'm currently reading the Earthsea books (I'm 2/3 through the third book) and while I agree it could be a nice OAV series, I don't see a problem with making a movie out of them... though so far the third book does not have the makings of a good movie.. -_-;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
wushu-4-ever

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
It’s time to find out what’s true and check out Gedo Senki yourself, because it will be part of this years 63rd Venice Film Festival! click Wink

GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
hikaru:
Quote:
The whole point was she wasn't having fun. She's being pressured into getting married.

She wanted to spend the rest of her life with someone who'd most understand her.

Quote:
Also, being a farmer is a career. Being married to a farmer is not perceived as a career in the same sense meaning a person who brings in income.Besides, some people may consider the farmer to be more important.

You do know you're lowering her value to that of an animal or tool by quantifying the kind of work she does in economic terms, right?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Also, being a farmer is a career. Being married to a farmer is not perceived as a career in the same sense meaning a person who brings in income. Office worker is also a career. Besides, some people may consider the farmer to be more important.

You do know you're lowering her value to that of an animal or tool by quantifying the kind of work she does in economic terms, right?

Actually, quantifying the value of a career in economic terms is done all the time. It's not lowering one to the level of an animal imo. I wrote it that way to be politically correct, since a homemaker's income has also been estimated in the media if that person was actually paid.

No problem MarthaC.

So is anyone here or from ANN going to the Venice Film Festival this year? Maybe ,you could convince tempest that it's a business expense. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8