• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Starting Monster...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry about this post, its a rather dumb question, but here goes anyway.

After hearing so much good stuff about Monster, I am really keen to start it, however I have both the anime and the first volume of the manga and I am wondering which I should start. As this is a mystery, I figure most of the enjoyment will be from the twists and surprises from reading it/watching it for the first time. Both have very high ANN ratings (the manga is a bit higher rated, but it has less people rating it.)

Anyone who has seen and read both who could tell me which is the best way to start would really be appreciated. Wink Are there differences between the two? There are 18 tankoubon in the manga compared to 74 episodes in the anime, making me think that perhaps in this case the anime is more detailed than the manga...
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:
I'm sorry about this post, its a rather dumb question, but here goes anyway.

After hearing so much good stuff about Monster, I am really keen to start it, however I have both the anime and the first volume of the manga and I am wondering which I should start. As this is a mystery, I figure most of the enjoyment will be from the twists and surprises from reading it/watching it for the first time. Both have very high ANN ratings (the manga is a bit higher rated, but it has less people rating it.)

Anyone who has seen and read both who could tell me which is the best way to start would really be appreciated. Wink Are there differences between the two? There are 18 tankoubon in the manga compared to 74 episodes in the anime, making me think that perhaps in this case the anime is more detailed than the manga...

I've read the manga, and also I watched the entire anime. I rated them both masterpieces, they are almost identical. The anime is extremely faithful and it doesn't really matter which you want to start with.

It's all about if you enjoy Manga or Anime more as a medium, personally I like the Anime more just because I really like the music, but in reality I love them both. If you want more info PM me, I will give you any info you need after I am done with work. Otherwise I sugguest that you go on ahead and enjoy this series, remember the series/manga is not action based. But it is a thriller.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:01 am Reply with quote
Thank you Very Happy I will probably watch the anime first then as music and VA are great additions to a story. I just wanted to check that it wouldn't ruin the enjoyment of the manga, but if it is pretty faithful then i'll risk it.

Only problem is 70+ episodes is a lot more daunting than just 18 manga volumes (especially as manga is quicker to read.) So if the story is really gripping I may have to switch to the manga. Wink

I'm looking forward to this series as it seems to be one which is consistently considered a masterpiece - I just hope the hype doesn't detract from my enjoyment.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:03 am Reply with quote
As mentioned, from what I've read in the manga so far the anime is an exact adaptation of the original material. The manga originally finished about three years before the anime came out, so they had plenty of time to write it all out faithfully. I think it was something like 2-3 chapters equal one episode.

Anyway, it's one thing to read the story in the form of great artwork, but to bring it to life with color, animation, voice acting, and music is something else. All of these aspects are, in my opinion, flawless and a perfect fit for the entire experience.

Not to say the manga is bad, by any means. It's exactly the same thing, only it's left to your own imagination to add all of these effects instead.

Either way, if you read all the manga then watch the anime, you'll be amazed at the transition. If you watch all of the anime then read the manga, it'll just reinforce the notion of how great this franchise is.

The only advantage is that you won't have to wait as long if you start the anime now as opposed to waiting every other month for Viz to release one volume of the manga. If you wait for the manga to finish in the U.S., you'd be waiting till about December of 2008.

EDIT: Just noticed you live in the U.K., so never mind what I said about the manga Anime dazed.
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I hadn't actually noticed that. The manga are coming out in the UK at the same time as in the US by the looks of it though - Volume 4 coming out on the 15th August? (Just comparing amazon.co.uk to amazon.com.)

Well, that decides it then. I've started the anime and will probably read the manga as they come out. (I'm not much of a scan fan.) Other option is to read them in German...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:
Hmm, I hadn't actually noticed that. The manga are coming out in the UK at the same time as in the US by the looks of it though - Volume 4 coming out on the 15th August? (Just comparing amazon.co.uk to amazon.com.)

Ah, right. Then I guess it's the same. Nevermind what I said about you living the U.K. then Laughing.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Thank you I will probably watch the anime first then as music and VA are great additions to a story. I just wanted to check that it wouldn't ruin the enjoyment of the manga, but if it is pretty faithful then i'll risk it.

Only problem is 70+ episodes is a lot more daunting than just 18 manga volumes (especially as manga is quicker to read.) So if the story is really gripping I may have to switch to the manga.

I'm looking forward to this series as it seems to be one which is consistently considered a masterpiece - I just hope the hype doesn't detract from my enjoyment.

Well your in for a real treat with the series then, it's fantastic, I hope you enjoy yourself as much as I did.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I remember when I read the manga, it turned out to be one of those series that had reading till 3 o'clock in the morning. The twists and turns will have you wanting for more, and you don't know what to expect out of it. The results are also some that you don't expect.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I remember when I read the manga, it turned out to be one of those series that had reading till 3 o'clock in the morning. The twists and turns will have you wanting for more, and you don't know what to expect out of it. The results are also some that you don't expect.

Isn't that a great feeling? When a show has such control over you that you can't sleep and you just keep turning the page, knowing that everytime you do things always become more interesting and more complex.

I remember when I was finishing the anime I had the last four episodes all together and I remember watching those until 4 or 5 in the morning. I didn't care that I had work in the morning for me I had to know what was next. Monster truly is one of those series that if grab hold of you, your in for long haul.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Quick question - anyone know what the mysterious creature in the end credits of Monster is? The one with the big nose and the hat... I was guessing it was some kind of witch or monster (duh) from German folklore or something. I also have a really niggling suspicion that I recognise the picture from somewhere, but I really can't think where from.

Google and wikipedia didn't help as it was too vague. (Googling witch and monster and ending doesn't work Wink ) and all sites about the anime contain spoilers...
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:
Quick question - anyone know what the mysterious creature in the end credits of Monster is? The one with the big nose and the hat... I was guessing it was some kind of witch or monster (duh) from German folklore or something. I also have a really niggling suspicion that I recognise the picture from somewhere, but I really can't think where from.

That creature is part of the anime, you'll discover in due time what it is. I am not one to give spoiler about monster, but you'll find out soon enough.

Trust me once you get there you'll be completely hooked on this series, and then each episodes gets deeper and deeper.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, exciting, Wink maybe I should keep watching instead of wasting precious anime time posting on these forums! I swear half the time I spend more time on forums reading about anime than actually watching it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1